NorCal beach Departure-Night landing in a 231

TargetDriver

Here's a condensed 10 min video of our flight from KACV Arcata, CA to L36 just under KSMF Sacramento airspace at night.  Hope the links work.  "Turbo 231 Mooney Sunset Departure over the Beach"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi7_Zuar-bTAhUDm5QKHeE2A0oQtwIIIzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdYFA3Ew6fxo&usg=AFQjCNFWvWmG_I8f4ErYlkaiILsHCtyK2A&sig2=VOUzDmS-pVp9IgvBtOhLOg

• Like 12

You flew right over my home field and didn't even stop (KEKA).  And no joking aside there are lots of sharks in Humboldt Bay, from Leopard to Cow sharks and an occasional lawyer.  In my younger day we used to hunt them with Bow and Arrow, great eating.

Pritch

Thanks All. 

Skates,   I have a couple of the Replay XD Prime cameras.  Most people are sold on the GoPro probably because of their advertising dollars spent, but we've tested the Replay XD camera's literally to Mach .92 and altitudes to 41,000 ' on aerial platforms.  They are slightly larger than a lipstick tube, have mini SD cards and have a multitude of mounts, attachments and accessories including a pigtail for onboard power instead of battery.  On the aerial platforms we had to use the live-power pig tails when we went above 20,000' or so due the cold shortening the battery life. (normal battery life can be up to 3 or 4 hrs)

I mounted the basic swivel mount with their adhesive patches under the tail cone.  (which we've tested at work to over 500 kts and they held !!)

One really cool feature of those camera's (the Prime X's) is they will bluetooth !   I fab'b a small mount on my instr panel and with an old iPhone 5 just bluetoothed to the camera.  It's perfect for another Gear-Up verification with live video feed.

• Like 3

Pritch,  Sharks really are in the bay? That's funny. I had no idea. I was kidding for the video.  Now the next time we go back there, we'll really be watching for them. Thanks !  

We ere going to fly into KEKA initially but decided to go on to Arcata since it was closer to my daughters house.  We love that area up there. Its beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

Hyett, thank you.  It was a lot of fun making it actually and putting the video together with the music.   I only wish I could be back home to fly and video to make more. I'm deployed now and we make different kinds of movies here.  ;) 

• Like 1