Mooney down off Myrtle Beach

Oldguy

2 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

I will tell you - it's not fun.... beneficial yes - fun no.

we do a couple of different training things in the pool. Wouldn't be that complicated to build a quick/cheap setup to train people in getting out. 

bubbles go up

We all have different views of fun.  Last weekend.  30 feet off the ground - Check Sharp dangerous tool in hand - check

MAH00041(2).jpg

• Like 1

Well sure if someone has already cut big gaping holes to egress out of.   Roll it upside down.  have to make people, exit their seats upside down and then find and open the door and see how well they "remain calm"

I have a client related to offshore oil systems, and my understanding is that in order to visit a rig you have to do the dunk training.  I don't really ever need to visit a rig, but thought about doing the training anyway just so I could if the opportunity came up.  Might be fun.   Or terrifying.   Should be interesting, though. ;)

On 5/12/2017 at 11:49 AM, mccdeuce said:

Not sure I'm following:  aluminum has great corrosion resitive properties. Just need to use the right one.  6061/5083

But it's 2xxx Al-Cu and 7xxx Al-Zn alloys that dominate in aviation, and they don't tolerate aqueous Cl ions like some other Al alloys do. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey30V said:

But it's 2xxx Al-Cu and 7xxx Al-Zn alloys that dominate in aviation, and they don't tolerate aqueous Cl ions like some other Al alloys do. 

Didn't know that. Was that just because we didn't have the material science/engineering back then or is there a specific reason that they went with 2 and 7 series Al?

Every 4 years the Navy ensured I got to practice egressing from the Helo dunker, they also made sure we could tread water in full flight gear with out inflating any flotation. we also had to do the pressure chamber and parachute simulators. 

The big thing it taught me was I didn't want to ditch, but if i did, I wanted to have the proper survival equipment in good working condition.

to this day I do not mind flying over water, even in a single engine aircraft. but I do use all that the Navy taught me when I do. I carry survival equipment, calculate glide distance to land, make a note of the wind and swells in case I do have to ditch and identify ships to ditch near when I am outside the glide range for shore.

Brian

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

Didn't know that. Was that just because we didn't have the material science/engineering back then or is there a specific reason that they went with 2 and 7 series Al?

The 2xxx Al-Cu and 7xxx Al-Zn-Cu alloys are heat treatable and can develop high strength-to-weight ratios desirable for aviation.

Alloy family 2xxx was once known as Duralumin and was developed early in the 20th century for rigid airship frames  

Alloy family 7xxx is stronger per unit weight than 2xxx and appeared in the Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero early in WW2 and in the B-29 late in the war.  

The relatively poor corrosion characteristics of 2xxx and 7xxx can be ameloriated by mechanically bonding a thin surface layer of high-purity aluminum to the strong alloy substrate in what is called the "Alclad" process  

The 6xxx Al-Mg-Si alloys are heat treatable but are not as strong as 2xxx and 7xxx.

The 5xxx Al-Mg alloys are not heat-treatable but have better weldability than other alloys. 

Edited by Mikey30V
  • Like 2