Mooney down off Myrtle Beach

Oldguy

14 hours ago, gsengle said:

Wonder how easy it will be to pull it up. Anything salvageable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No no no no.  That thought should never cross your mind. Salt water is evil.

No no no no.  That thought should never cross your mind. Salt water is evil.

Sure but let's imagine it was pulled up and thoroughly washed within 24 hours... even then? Even some parts?

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I predict it will be on Ebay a year from now and the Seller will be from Tennessee and the reason for selling is that he lost his medical.

Along with "always hangared" in the description... 

• Like 1

I spent most of my young life racing small sailboats.   salt get into everything and it won't get out.  I have been through engines and all sorts of sail boat parts.  Everything that has been around salt water is on a short track to the junk yard.

• Like 1

I spent most of my young life racing small sailboats.   salt get into everything and it won't get out.  I have been through engines and all sorts of sail boat parts.  Everything that has been around salt water is on a short track to the junk yard.

I know it's not the same but it's why I always cringe at Aluminium seaplanes on the ocean...

17 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Walter White

"You're God Damn right.B)"

But seriously I hope they can get the plane up and figured out what happened. I've often thought about landing in the water in emergency situations. How violent would it be if done right? In the 150 I fly, you'd be going slow enough, but with those gear down there acting like anchors, yeesh, It would be abrupt. Always thought if calm waters, gear up would be like skipping a stone across the water! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20FanJesse said:

"You're God Damn right.B)"

But seriously I hope they can get the plane up and figured out what happened. I've often thought about landing in the water in emergency situations. How violent would it be if done right? In the 150 I fly, you'd be going slow enough, but with those gear down there acting like anchors, yeesh, It would be abrupt. Always thought if calm waters, gear up would be like skipping a stone across the water! 

Here in the southwest there are many places where the only thing reasonably smooth for a long ways in any direction is a lake.  You either put down on rough terrain or in water.   There are places where I'm liking my chances on the water better.

My thinking has me going into water wheels up, flaps down and right at the stall beeper when I touch nose high. Slowest speed possible and crack the door before impact. Chances  are I'll wind up just like this one swimming but OK. 

I once knew a formula that equated speed to energy to dissipate and it showed the logarithmic function of speed to energy.10 kts extra was so much more energy but 20 kts more was way up there. Double the speed and quad the energy or something like that.  Where are the engineers when you need one :-)

6 minutes ago, cliffy said:

I once knew a formula that equated speed to energy to dissipate and it showed the logarithmic function of speed to energy.10 kts extra was so much more energy but 20 kts more was way up there. Double the speed and quad the energy or something like that.  Where are the engineers when you need one :-)

Energy is proportional to the square of the speed, so you have it right that doubling the speed quadruples the kinetic energy.   The basic (Newtonian) relationship is:

E = (1/2)mv^2

where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. 

So your basic conclusion that losing as much speed as possible always helps to reduce the kinetic energy.   Pointing into the wind, full flaps, etc., etc.

My thinking has me going into water wheels up, flaps down and right at the stall beeper when I touch nose high. Slowest speed possible and crack the door before impact. Chances  are I'll wind up just like this one swimming but OK. 

Crack the door any time. Not right before impact. There won't be a lot of noise...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have considered tree or water landing should be at 0 knots forward motion.   With trees the hope is the wings hold you up in the canopy.  The water would mean that the tail would go in first.  But you are still protecting me the person that needs to be not beat up to get out and survive.  It would have to be the gentlest of pull up at the last of the energy so you don't balloon.  Maybe like a chandell without the turn.

Another nice thing about a ditching in water is you can read the wind direction from the ripples if you learn how. Easier to make sure you're pointed into the wind and minimize the speed relative to the surface you're about to crash into. Yes I'm also a seaplane pilot, though it's been a long time.

For those of you interested in water ditching strategies, the following is a good read: http://www.equipped.org/ditchingmyths.htm

It's the only research I'm aware of where someone actually tried to look at NTSB records and determine what strategies and situations matter.  Among other interesting points, the author contends there is no data to suggest ditching with wheels down (or in fixed gear airplane) makes any measurable difference in survivability vs. wheels up.  He also says skill, planning, and preparedness for ditching don't seem to matter much either - student pilots with little experience and no knowledge of "recommended" ditching procedures tend to do as well as the Gray Eagle Ace-of-the-Base.

• Like 1

I was doing kayak roll practice in the pool.  My spotter did not roll me back up so I exited like it was no big deal. The spotter was freaked out.  It's all up to you to keep your head on straight.   I want to do the offshore helicopter training.  That looks like fun

25 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I was doing kayak roll practice in the pool.  My spotter did not roll me back up so I exited like it was no big deal. The spotter was freaked out.  It's all up to you to keep your head on straight.   I want to do the offshore helicopter training.  That looks like fun

I will tell you - it's not fun.... beneficial yes - fun no.

we do a couple of different training things in the pool. Wouldn't be that complicated to build a quick/cheap setup to train people in getting out. 

3 main things to consider 1) hand on reference point before you unbuckle 2) don't kick 3) stay calm 

41 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

survival strategies in the water and finally on rescue technique. 

Probably worth 80% of the discussion - survive the after crash and be a good survivor. Have seen where two survived the crash with no injuries but only one survived long enough to be rescued. 

On 5/11/2017 at 6:18 AM, gsengle said:

I know it's not the same but it's why I always cringe at Aluminium seaplanes on the ocean...

Or even ones parked on runways by the ocean....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

Not sure I'm following:  aluminum has great corrosion resitive properties. Just need to use the right one.  6061/5083

I am thinking of two 172 s parked outside at kahalui airport Maui Hi....corrosion everywhere!