Icon A5 crash

I know the location where the icon came to rest....little Portuguese Cove ...I've flown the lake amphib and Husky in there many times and lately been fishing the coves with my jet boat.The terrain on the East side of Berryessa is narrow and canyon like with 2000 ft hills .This provides a natural route straight toward nut tree airport where the Icon factory is located.High tension power lines cross the Lake just to the west of the crash site.They are ( or were )well marked with orange tanis ball  markers...but you can forget those power lines are there.Typically flights go over the dam at the east end at 500 agl and follow the canyon to the open part of the lake for water work.So. If this was a stall spin ,not a lot of recovery altitude...and than there are those wires..rip

Edited by thinwing

I saw this on the local news very sad, I have water skied the "narrows" for many years and flown the dam rout to Nut tree but am a bit higher more like 1500agl and starting my descent.  Thing is I wonder how long before the wreck was spotted. Before the state kicked all us people that had leases with vacation homes off the land.  There were dozens of boats on the lake all year long.  Now I fly over and even on July 4th been able to count the boats on one or two hands. They could have been in that cove for quite a while before the fisherman spotted the crash site.  The local news also said they were trying to find the party that reported it so they may not have even stuck arounfd to help but thats pure speculation,

already said a prayer for the loved ones.  rest in peace

We stay at Markley cove and have noticed many abandoned manufactured house foundations with awesome views,landscaping etc...the story I was told was the Army Corp of engineers kicked people out...crash site center of Topo...

IMG_2849.PNG

6 minutes ago, thinwing said:

We stay at Markley cove and have noticed many abandoned manufactured house foundations with awesome views,landscaping etc...the story I was told was the Army Corp of engineers kicked people out...crash site center of Topo...

IMG_2849.PNG

I think you are correct about Army Corps but it was with the state that we had our lease at Spanish Flat.  Perhaps they will find some clue what caused the crash but the very nature of that area and flying an amphibian makes me wonder if he was trying to land too close to shore and just hit the bank at speed kind of looks that way from the pictures.  Anyway very very sad no matter the how or the why

15 minutes ago, bonal said:

I think you are correct about Army Corps but it was with the state that we had our lease at Spanish Flat.  Perhaps they will find some clue what caused the crash but the very nature of that area and flying an amphibian makes me wonder if he was trying to land too close to shore and just hit the bank at speed kind of looks that way from the pictures.  Anyway very very sad no matter the how or the why

To me it looks like a stall spin...all major parts including canopy right there...no extended debris path ,tail section broken off and folded over fuse...canopy popped off ,rebounded straight up and landed just feet away...also the icon had a CAPs....no chute deployed...Icon advertises the A5 as being stall /spin proof.

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

To me it looks like a stall spin...all major parts including canopy right there...no extended debris path ,tail section broken off and folded over fuse...canopy popped off ,rebounded straight up and landed just feet away...also the icon had a CAPs....no chute deployed...Icon advertises the A5 as being stall /spin proof.

well there would be no debris if all was well until they hit the bank.  Just sad and close to home I hope the Icon folks hold on and are succesful

The Icon has an AOA as well, with a prominent AOA gauge. The power lines seem like the possible cause of the unfortunate accident. Just speculating.

Except looking at the crash site there are no power lines for miles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi gsengle..they are shown on Topo.....black dots ,lines between

Yep and on sectionals. But they are over a mile or two to the south of the crash location.... crash was up by the red X

e88130c52b2d9d218640e934acd25b90.png

Ok...next time you are out west ,let me take you thru there...I think you would be intimidated by the multiple wires

I looked closely at the satellite images of the little Portuguese canyon and watched a video from a helicopter flying from the crash site south out of the canyon past the wires depicted. Are you saying there are uncharted wires? Or that the crash could have been a wire strike over a mile from where the plane crashed?

Yes it's impressive terrain but I didn't see wires other than the charted ones that don't seem close enough to be a factor.

Finally a wire strike is a pretty obvious accident cause. We'd know by now if that's what happened.... no?

Hi...I think your red x is too far north...little Portuguese COVE...is next one over..I have no idea of the cause of this accident...I can tell you flying thru there with a bell47 on a recovery,Husky on amphibs or lake amphibian those lines droop down and block the canyon.I got my sea plane rating in 1984 and recall on my checkride both me and the examiner kinda forgot they were there while we were doing maneuvers!First time on a check ride the examiner is eyes wide open!

Here is the zoom out of crash site on west side of little Portuguese canyon. Matches topo. I might be a thousand feet too far north with red x but still no wires in sight...

b856128063356833b62ea9502a232143.jpg

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Is It box canyon like for a Icon A5?

Low on power, fully loaded, steep turn issue?

Best regards,

-a-

It very much is a box and both canyons become more narrow toward 2000 ft hills...You bring out a good point...was the Icon attempting to fly out by doing a steep turn 180 and spun in.gsengle...your google map doesn't match my boaters map...they are labeled "coves" and my map shows little Portuguese cove as the smaller of the two closer to the wires...I just finished the spring maintaince on my north river jet boat (both batteries and low pressure fuel pump blowing fuses) I need a test run and Berryessa is only 1/2 hr away cause I am curious now.

• Like 2