Flat Tire Poll

Flats  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Aircraft flats

• I've never had a flat tire
    • I've had a flat that turned out to be FOD
    • I've had a flat that was a valve stem failure
    • I've had a flat with unknown or other causes

Just so happens, I had one yesterday - my first ever.  I landed and got on the ground (no issues) but was off center-line while decelerating and yaw'd back over to get center and must have gotten on the brake instead of the rudder because left main half-worn tire locked up (my fault) and blew.  It was a challenge to get her off the runway but made it to the taxiway where my local FBO came out to help but offered very little.  We ended up using a floor jack with a scissor lift to get it up high enough to get the wheel off and down the road for a new tire/tube.  The plane sit there on the runway taxiway for a couple of hours until I got a new tire put on.  I went ahead and re-ordered another tire/tube for the other main.  No damage to anything but the old tire, and my pride.

Nose wheel on our E went flat while taxiing at KOSH last year. The taxiway was pretty heavy grass but prop stayed well clear of ground. Cause was difficult to assign, we (David Staffeldt) replaced the tube with (Michelin Airstop) which showed sign of creasing though that might have been post flat.   

Had a Cherokee that the main was low one day when I went over to 11R. I put some air in it before leaving, got to 11R to eat and noticed it was low again. While eat there I decide to call my mechanic, he said just fly it back and he would put a new one on for me. After eating, went to the plane, still low so put more air in it flew it home. Got to KCXO, landed w/ a flat :o it wasnt easy but didnt damage anything, got off runway, and he came out and put a new one on. After that I put all new tires on.

As with Bryan's experience, mine was similar.

If there is a worn spot on one of your mains,  and you do some heavy braking, whether  intentional or not,  it's my opinion and experience that the wheel will lock on that worn spot.  It  takes a very short amount of time for the tire to blow .

Therefore,  I am vigilant for worn spots on my mains.

With that said, this was on my Ovation, which is heavier than the short or mid length Mooneys.

And, after the blowout at low speed, it took full power to taxi :rolleyes:

That's a joke of course.   I didn't attempt taxi at all as I was concerned about creating damage .

Can you make the poll multiple options?

I've had 2-3 tube failures. Stem rip and a slice on the side (probably fod). Nose and main, respectively.

I've had some leaky ones too, probably stem, but never bothered to dig into it since they were 'part of the package' when I got the plane.

5300 hours and have only one tire go flat.  That happened to be a main on a C-130, the fuse plug blew from overheating caused by a dragging brake.  Happened to already be in parking when it happened.

None on GA aircraft.

2 hours ago, smwash02 said:

Can you make the poll multiple options?

I've had 2-3 tube failures. Stem rip and a slice on the side (probably fod). Nose and main, respectively.

I've had some leaky ones too, probably stem, but never bothered to dig into it since they were 'part of the package' when I got the plane.

I just tried to change to multiples... not sure if it took

Made the mistake a few years ago of asking a line service person to add air to the nosewheel right before departure (I no longer air up tires right before departure).  On landing a couple of hours later, the nosewheel was flat.  Landing was uneventful, I didn't even notice until I was down to 40 knots or so on the ground roll, at which point it began to shimmy.  The shimmy became more and more pronounced as I slowed down.  By the time I couldn't steer any more, I was fully stopped, and the local FBO sent a tow rig out.  They replaced the tire (which was about due anyway) and tube, and I was on my way in less than an hour.

My guess is the Schrader valve simply didn't close properly when the line service guy person removed the air hose.  I don't think there was any malice or incompetence, just one of those things.  Again, I no longer air up tires right before departure any more.  I either do it when putting away the airplane in the hangar, or I wait around a while before departure.

• Like 1

I had left main go flat on roll out training in the Cherokee.  It seemed to just get soft fast after landing and before I knew it, I was putting in full right rudder to keep it on center.  CFI didn't even notice at first til it started riding a little rough.  He just gave her some throttle and we taxied off on to the ramp.  It was kind of a long walk back to the FBO, but great training experience.  CFI was bound and determined not to leave that thing on 17 at KLNK.

I've got to figure out how to change my answer on the poll.  Right when I clicked never a flat, I remembered the one time.    We stopped for dinner around 9pm at 48D (Clare MI), walked to a near by restaurant and walked back to the airport in freezing cold weather.  Back taxing down the runway, I had difficulty steering the plane.  I thought the instructor was screwing with me. The front tire was flat and likely the result of a hard landing and an under inflated tire on the previous flight. (did I mention it was a night time training flight in a 172)    Cold and stuck in the middle of no where.  The airport manager was awesome.  He came out to the the airport and stayed past midnight.  He brought a patch kit and helped us push the plane in a hangar.  An hour and a half later, we were on our way, buying a new tube the next day at KGRR.

It was years ago, and I still want to thank the airport manager. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bonal said:

had a valve stem failure when adding air during the annual. Already on jacks so just pulled the wheel off. best time to have a flat.

Same here. I went to fill the tire and heard hissing when I pulled the stem to get the chuck on. I am done with straight stems. Replaced tube with a Desser 600-6 AERO CLASSIC **BUTYL EASY / CONVENIENCE VAL (TR-87 70 D). The "convenience val" is the 90º stem.

• Like 1