Wtb: stall switch

Not certain we need it yet, but in case we do does anyone have a working stall switch they'd part with? We have a k but I think they're all the same anyway.

I see a couple on eBay but who knows what you get with that.

8 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

to be honest peevee, it is SO cheap its easier to just get a new one. Ā the expensive bit is the two hours labour to fit it and adjust it. Ā Ive just had it done on AL and it was 2.75 hours of labour and 9.47 for the switch. Dont forget thats UK pounds inc 20 salesĀ tax!

Andrew

Dude they're $1800 new and $1200 to have safe flight overhaul the existing.

Just now, Hyett6420 said:

How come, it cost me 9.47, PROMISE scouts honour. Ā Its a simple microswitch, are they trying to sell you the whole unit inc the fitting, flappy bit etc? NO way it cost me 1800, plus labour. Ā ive just checked the bill again to make sure.Ā 

The box is riveted shut. You can't just swap the microswitchĀ 

I saw it, i was there. Ā It was taken apart, they showed me the corrosion on the old microswitch. Ā They replaced the microswitch. Ā we are talking about the stall switch vane on the wing aren't we?Ā 

Yeah, looks like this

Ā 

Ā 

Screenshot_20170510-094151.png

Go for the screws first. Ā The rivets may just be holding the the internal contents in place. Ā 

I don't have the part in hand yet, at the dentist. I'll get a plan of attack when I get to the mechanics shop and pick it up. I'm excited I have a better prospect than buying a used one of questionable useful life though.

The part number of that switch is more valuable than you know. It's nowhere around the forum.

Take the switch and wash it real good on the surface with soap and water then blow it dry. Then submerge it in clean solvent and actuate it about a million times. Let the solvent drain out and blow dry. It will work like brand new.

you may be able to find a compatible switch with a different arm, press the pin out and swap arms, but I'm pretty sure it is a custom switch. You could contact Honeywell and see what they say.

26 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

boy that looks close, but it looks backwards, like the switch closes when the arm is pushed down and not up. If that makes sense?

I think you're right, I think it's a custom switch. I didn't see dimensions in the tech sheet, Hrmmm very vexing.

Ā 

edit: found em. maybe SLIGHTLY wide, the existing is only 5/8" wide

Ā  MICRO SWITCH Standard 25,4 mm H x 17,8 mm W x 50,8 mm L [1.0 in H x 0.7 in W x 2.0 in L]

5 hours ago, peevee said:

boy that looks close, but it looks backwards, like the switch closes when the arm is pushed down and not up. If that makes sense?

I think you're right, I think it's a custom switch. I didn't see dimensions in the tech sheet, Hrmmm very vexing.

Ā 

edit: found em. maybe SLIGHTLY wide, the existing is only 5/8" wide

Ā  MICRO SWITCH Standard 25,4 mm H x 17,8 mm W x 50,8 mm L [1.0 in H x 0.7 in W x 2.0 in L]

For 16 bucks, order one and check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

After taking the switch apart and Identifying the case number from the mold I was able to track that back to the original designer Honeywell (which everyoneĀ knew)Ā  What nobody did know is that the bottom of the switch is universal.Ā  It isĀ the top that changes.Ā  Granger sells the bottom in multiple amperage formats and one would have to see which oneĀ SafeFlight used according to the load requirements to the circuit (that info I don't have)Ā  But the switch is availableĀ $14 -Ā $28.Ā  What wouldĀ have to be done is the brass pins on the wide side of the switch would be pushed in then the top would be lifted out from the non pinned short side first.Ā  ThenĀ drive pins out to be reused in the top, swap the bottoms reinstalling the pins to seal the switch.Ā  Ā Below is the response I got from Honeywell when I called to see if the switch could be found outside an FAA supplier.

Hi Joe,
Ā 
Appreciate the pictures. After sharing these with the application engineer, he informed me that parts without part numbers are usually restricted to the original equipment manufacturer and you will need to go back to them for a part especially since this would be an FAA/PMA product. Iā€™m sorry but my hands are tied here.
Ā 
Thank you,
Ā 
Steve Heckman
GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATExAGJmNy00YzUwLWQ1NjYALTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA9%2Bbe0OaZ51Jqef1Lpi2z%2FsHABBl2LfD8PVDicgEdBYGDqsAAAIBDAAAABBl2LfD8PVDicgEdBYGDqsAAXXQC5UAAAABEgAQADmhkrfi8NdJmyQaYz708hk%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=s7oDyRL0o060CTa6-qBk2HAVITbQntQYNaStmwMo8CDU3Vd2gub9TmVSsJI-IdvErnuIv3WQvSE.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.gFZ0tUknCTiyTD6giLQZS1E-J30CSs1scgVks-sPAnC514evG5pbGWNN0ovDHwlRm2zji2lziUO7GRCQgDbSsMemLaXIZYfu_Ajedq6xxVLbvhnFOlu-3_niIcbEWlpc_uqt_Y59S4sEV2P5yLodSGpRALPG67SU1Z6h7kBnfKv_bnRY8RlRjqWbUfkSSCXWLslTF8GZAUH4vBl2u43hGLJrCtJMer3imxi5_r7yHbKmmMeMQdr_l-I0zbFApGzlI6y0pAW_cUrThNo9Oob8E4TyxU_p1Uv64sYVV46QzmtjcQEpGMbXs-yUjdYFo7-YQhhRklfrLKiq-YhCG0Uitw&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True
Customer Support Representative
Honeywell International Inc.Ā Ā  Sensing and IoT
Office: (800) 537-6945
International:Ā (815) 235-6847
Fax: (815) 618-6206
Ā 

100_0684[1].JPG

100_0685[1].JPG

I looked into this also. I really believe that you need the model with the extra low activation pressure as well. This requirement greatly reduces the available options while still getting the correct direction of operation.

Ā 

I drowned the original switch in solvent and got it to come back to life.

Ā 

Andrew, your switch IS easily replaceable and is part of the Mooney version of the lift detector, not the Safe Flight version. I think this is the reason Mooney came up with it. There is a kit available to install that one in place of the Safe flight version.

7 hours ago, milotron said:

There is a kit available to install that one in place of the Safe flight version.

approximately .55 AMU, and a superior design I believe. Aside from one pretty poor weld. Here's what the retrofit kit looks like.

IMG_20170512_104443.jpg

IMG_20170512_171633_01.jpg

Ā 

IMG_20170520_062024_01.jpg

IMG_20170520_062019_01.jpg

IMG_20170520_062435_01.jpg

• Like 1

I went to this thread as I paid for a replacement stall warning switch on my ovation during the prior annual. Ā So a year plus later and I'm still reeling from the sticker shock. Ā I was so stunned the mechanic showed me his invoice for the switch: $4,500.00 and that's US dollars. Ā It turns out that when you have TKS known icing system installed, which my mooney does, they replace the switch with a heated unit, which costs $4,500 bucks. Ā Then to add insult to injury the STC for the known Icing, changes the indicator light so it only illuminates when the heated stall indicator (or pitot heat as they are on the same switch) burns out, BUT if you leave them on while taxing, the stall switch overheats and burns up! Ā 

switch costs $4,500 bucks

Indicator light only comes on when it fails, so you don't know it's on

If you leave it on, on the ground, it smokes

So another source would be CAV air who does the TKS installs must have a box full of like new, non heated stall switches. Ā Good luck