Ridiculous

5 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Awesome setup Ken. I have a 540 and love how it works. Can you please advise what your right iPad mount is attached to, the type of iPad and attachment?

The one on the left is this one: http://www.mygoflight.com/ipad-mount-flex-suction-kit/

The one on the right is this one: https://www.mygoflight.com/sport-mount-flex-glare-shield/

If I were to do it again I would get two of the one I have on the left, and may very well just get another of this for the right as it is more versatile.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

Hey Ken, I know this has been beat to death, but what were YOUR reasons for going with Avidyne instead of Garmin?  I have a buddy who is planning to do the 550/440 setup, too, but it will be in an sr22.  He has an stec 55 but he plans on swapping it out eventually.  

Nothing else can touch what the Avidynes do. Look up the feature list and compare it to the Garmin. They are no where close !!! And the Avidyne is cheaper, especially if you already have a 530/430 as I did.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

SV is standard on the Avidynes.

Yes. There are different versions of synthetic vision based on the unit. The 550 is best, 540/440 vision is the same.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 3:05 PM, KLRDMD said:

Yes. There are different versions of synthetic vision based on the unit. The 550 is best, 540/440 vision is the same.

To elaborate on this I find the 540/440 looks like the SV you get on Garmin portables. Only the 550 looks like the SV you see in the pictures above. 

11 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Full sized, 9.7" ones !

Wow! 9.7" iPads displayed in a Mooney cockpit.  I didn't think that was possible.

I see your point regarding flexibility, but I think I'll try to go for the clamp style as previous experience of suction cups is they eventually give up.

Victor

• Like 1

For a while, I had a full size IPad on my yoke in the portrait mode, and it was not impossible. But I went down to a Mini and like it much better.

Mini for me too, but the rumor mill is that Apple is phasing out the mini due to poor sales so we may all have to find a way to make the larger iPad work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, Hector said:

Mini for me too, but the rumor mill is that Apple is phasing out the mini due to poor sales so we may all have to find a way to make the larger iPad work.

The full sized iPad displays a full sized approach plate, the mini does not. I went back to a (now two) full sized iPads.

Like most, I moved to a Mini for the marginally better cockpit size. But I did quite well with my full size iPads the previous 4 years and don't envision too much problem going back to them. Of course, I might transition to my Android tablet full time.

On 5/10/2017 at 3:15 PM, rbridges said:

I share this forum with a bunch of pansies.  This is all you need.  I'll fly my plane to 100ft below minimums in full blown IMC using an outdated VFR sectional.  GPS is for sissies.  

31+5Q49nBSL.jpg

I don't recognize either of those strange objects.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 7:31 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

I don't recognize either of those strange objects.

I think the big one is an old Remington Rand mainframe, and the long skinny one is an early word processor with optional manual backspace.

• Like 2

I use my cell phone with Garmin Pilot to get the latest WX and TFRs on my way to the airport and in the hangar. With a tablet I can not do that since it connects via WI-FI. Once in the plane I Velcro my phone to the sun visor. It provides good internet signal reception for WX and excellent readability while on approach, no need to turn head. Although the display is not as big as a tablet, the proximity of the phone to your eyes provides a comparable size image to a tablet. If you had cataract multifocal lens replacement the phone image is in simultaneous focus as the runway end numbers. I use a 4" x 2" Velcro strips to hold the phone on the plane visor and on my car visor for road navigation. In the car the visor location is more beneficial to avoid momentary distractions by the GPS. The road maps shows slow traffic speed roads and traffic accidents.

José

Visor Phone.jpg

Edited by Piloto

On 5/10/2017 at 3:15 PM, rbridges said:

I share this forum with a bunch of pansies.  This is all you need.  I'll fly my plane to 100ft below minimums in full blown IMC using an outdated VFR sectional.  GPS is for sissies.  

31+5Q49nBSL.jpg

You forgot the wind-up Timex watch!

34 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I use my cell phone with Garmin Pilot to get the latest WX and TFRs on my way to the airport and in the hangar. With a tablet I can not do that since it connects via WI-FI. Once in the plane I Velcro my phone to the sun visor. It provides good internet signal reception for WX and excellent readability while on approach, no need to turn head. Although the display is not as big as a tablet, the proximity of the phone to your eyes provides a comparable size image to a tablet. If you had cataract multifocal lens replacement the phone image is in simultaneous focus as the runway end numbers. I use a 4" x 2" Velcro strips to hold the phone on the plane visor and on my car visor for road navigation. In the car the visor location is more beneficial to avoid momentary distractions by the GPS. The road maps shows slow traffic speed roads and traffic accidents.

José

Visor Phone.jpg

You can use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot to connect to your tablet.  I cancelled my 4G Verizon subscription to the iPad's when I figured this out

I've cooked my mini in the sun a couple times which is why I also bring the ipad  air. I just purchased the nuvite cooling fan for the mini, it keeps on ticking in the hottest and sunniest cabin, nice addition to the iPad for flight.

1 hour ago, Danb said:

I've cooked my mini in the sun a couple times which is why I also bring the ipad  air. I just purchased the nuvite cooling fan for the mini, it keeps on ticking in the hottest and sunniest cabin, nice addition to the iPad for flight.

My IPad kept overheating and shutting off with an overheat message when I was taking my ATP check ride last summer. It was very annoying! And that was trying to keep it in the shade as much as possible. The OAT was over 115 and the IAT was probably 10 degrees above that. The check airman cut me some slack for it. He offered me his but it did the same thing. I don't think a fan would have helped, it would have just heated it up faster.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

29 minutes ago, Danb said:

Rich try the xnaut  fan it remarkable works, now here on the east coast it's not nearly as sultry as the desert southwest.  They give a 60 day satisfaction guarantee 

I just picked up an xnaut case for my mini. It's about to be 105+ degrees here. I'll report how it works out.

On 5/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

My IPad kept overheating and shutting off with an overheat message when I was taking my ATP check ride last summer. It was very annoying! And that was trying to keep it in the shade as much as possible. The OAT was over 115 and the IAT was probably 10 degrees above that. The check airman cut me some slack for it. He offered me his but it did the same thing. I don't think a fan would have helped, it would have just heated it up faster.

But everyone talks about how Arizona is heaven on earth, with lakes, forests, etc. How can these things be troublesome in that paradise? As they told me in Tucson, "it's a dry heat." Ain't no such thing in Alabama, it just gets steamy hot.