Ridiculous

Today I flew for the first time with the following avionics:

IFD550

IFD440

IFD100 on each of two iPads.

KFC150 with KAS297B altitude pre-select/altitude hold.

The amount of information presented and the situational awareness is absolutely ridiculous !!

I had the normal map on the 550 with synthetic vision on one iPad and the approach plate on the second iPad. The 440 is kinda redundant.

And to think, back in the day I did my instrument training in a piece of crap rental Piper Arrow with 180 HP that would do 125 kts in a descent on a good day and we had to circle to get up to 9,000 ft to proceed along the Victor airway. It had no autopilot but two VORs, one with an ILS.

Such an amazing transformation in our cockpits in just over a dozen years.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, bradp said:

Pictures please Ken!

This is not the final version but it is as it sits in the hangar right now. I have a bit more "massaging" to do; maybe I'll get that done yet this week. Here are three photos, showing the panel from different angles and/or viewpoints.

PanelRight.jpeg

PanelLeft.jpeg

PanelCenter.jpeg

• Like 3

Great job Ken!  The panel looks incredible, and very functional.  Question, what was your decision making process for choosing Avidyne over Garmin?  Not that there's anything wrong with Avidyne, just curious.  Thanks! 

Roger

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

I share this forum with a bunch of pansies.  This is all you need.  I'll fly my plane to 100ft below minimums in full blown IMC using an outdated VFR sectional.  GPS is for sissies.  

31+5Q49nBSL.jpg

Yah, I wanna fly with that guy   ...........:(

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

I share this forum with a bunch of pansies.  This is all you need.  I'll fly my plane to 100ft below minimums in full blown IMC using an outdated VFR sectional.  GPS is for sissies.  

31+5Q49nBSL.jpg

Hey why dont we fly together , i will show you how to do this on floats ! 

• Like 1

This is not the final version but it is as it sits in the hangar right now. I have a bit more "massaging" to do; maybe I'll get that done yet this week. Here are three photos, showing the panel from different angles and/or viewpoints.
PanelRight.jpeg
PanelLeft.jpeg
PanelCenter.jpeg

Is the app that is running the one that works with Avidyne hardware?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Is the app that is running the one that works with Avidyne hardware?

Yes, the IDF100 app. I have it going to two iPads from the Avidyne 550. I can display any page on an iPad that I can navigate to on the 550. The setup shown has three different pages, all coming from the 550. It is the most awesome setup ever !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger O said:

Great job Ken!  The panel looks incredible, and very functional.  Question, what was your decision making process for choosing Avidyne over Garmin?  Not that there's anything wrong with Avidyne, just curious. 

So many reasons but the bottom line is the Avidyne is a FAR superior box to anything that Garmin is putting out, and it is much cheaper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LANCECASPER said:

Please show us a picture of the IFD550 with the SVS selected. I am anxiously awaiting my 550 on the upgrade program Avidyne offered.

I'll try to get photos tomorrow.

23 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Please show us a picture of the IFD550 with the SVS selected. I am anxiously awaiting my 550 on the upgrade program Avidyne offered.

I repositioned the iPad on the left side and have photos from today's flight. Sorry for the glare but that's what you get on a beautiful clear day in Tucson :P

550440.jpg

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

RightCloseUp.jpg

Final.jpg

Landing.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 10:12 PM, KLRDMD said:

Today I flew for the first time with the following avionics:

IFD550

IFD440

IFD100 on each of two iPads.

KFC150 with KAS297B altitude pre-select/altitude hold.

The amount of information presented and the situational awareness is absolutely ridiculous !!

I had the normal map on the 550 with synthetic vision on one iPad and the approach plate on the second iPad. The 440 is kinda redundant.

And to think, back in the day I did my instrument training in a piece of crap rental Piper Arrow with 180 HP that would do 125 kts in a descent on a good day and we had to circle to get up to 9,000 ft to proceed along the Victor airway. It had no autopilot but two VORs, one with an ILS.

Such an amazing transformation in our cockpits in just over a dozen years.

Hey Ken, I know this has been beat to death, but what were YOUR reasons for going with Avidyne instead of Garmin?  I have a buddy who is planning to do the 550/440 setup, too, but it will be in an sr22.  He has an stec 55 but he plans on swapping it out eventually.