Weather or speed?

Weather or speed?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. When planning a flight do you chose weather over speed?

• slower flight but better weather
    • faster flight but less desirable weather

Well I had an adventurous weekend flying.  Flew up to Indianapolis for a meeting this weekend and was met with 50 to 60kt headwinds the entire way up 7.5 hours of flying for what should have been 4.5 hours.  Stopped in MO to get fuel after 5 hours of flying and then continued to Indianapolis.

I chose to fly on the back side of the front that just went through late last week knowing I was in for serious headwinds but with mostly VMC weather.  I could have flown further east and went further distance with less headwinds or even some tail winds but I would have been in worse weather lower ceilings, rain etc.

Just wondering if others have done the same thing?  This was the first time I got saddled with that much headwind when making a decision like this..

• Like 2

Flying both sides of a high pressure system is my favorite... (going N and going S)...

1) The front side of the H is the southbound air...

2) the back side of the H is the northbound air...

3) it requires the H to be in the right place and moving at the right speed to match your weekend plans...

4) I am a big fan of avoiding thunderstorms. Traveling with other people often/usually requires a smooth ride.

5) When IR current, I was usually selecting speed and smoothness over VMC or roughness...

6) The H is the symbol on the weather chart for high pressure system.  They rotate clockwise as they move Eastward.  High pressure systems are usually associated with clear weather...

7) being limited to the days between work...  you get what you get, and you don't get upset... 

PP thoughts only.  My IR is a bit out of currency... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

I don't know what this means. I'm presuming that we're talking about more challenging or less comfortable weather as opposed to impassable weather. Like using your instrument rating to get through some IMC or turbulence as opposed to making a dogleg to avoid it. Then yes, I'll go through it. If it's impassable or dangerous weather, then obviously I'll go around.

• Like 1

John,

For once I finally got a tailwind both directions. Went north Wednesday and arrived at KDAY just as the front was hitting,   Just returned a couple of  hours ago and had a 180k GS almost the entire way back.  Wish I could see it on flight aware but no dice. Wonder what's up with that?

Chupa,

this one...?

IMG_0041.thumb.PNG.5a462e0e315583a39bbc7333d8fff2f4.PNG

you need to set the proper setting to view your flight... the one setting's name didn't make enough sense to be memorable...

Your flight detail is here.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N6988V

I have learned a few things from MS...

Just can't recall all of the details.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Flying both sides of a high pressure system is my favorite... (going N and going S)...

1) The front side of the H is the southbound air...

2) the back side of the H is the northbound air...

3) it requires the H to be in the right place and moving at the right speed to match your weekend plans...

4) I am a big fan of avoiding thunderstorms. Traveling with other people often/usually requires a smooth ride.

5) When IR current, I was usually selecting speed and smoothness over VMC or roughness...

6) The H is the symbol on the weather chart for high pressure system.  They rotate counterclockwise as they move Eastward.  High pressure systems are usually associated with clear weather...

7) being limited to the days between work...  you get what you get, and you don't get upset... 

PP thoughts only.  My IR is a bit out of currency... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I believe you've got that backwards high pressure systems rotate clockwise, unless of course you're in the southern hemisphere

• Like 1

Hey AAJ,

You are right.  I have my CW and CCW all mixed up...  :)

See if I can get it straightened up.  It is so important to get all the details correct.  Not just some of them or most of them...

Thanks!

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Chupa,

this one...?

IMG_0041.thumb.PNG.5a462e0e315583a39bbc7333d8fff2f4.PNG

you need to set the proper setting to view your flight... the one setting's name didn't make enough sense to be memorable...

Your flight detail is here.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N6988V

I have learned a few things from MS...

Just can't recall all of the details.

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony, you are my hero! That's great. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thinwing said:

No..if I see a 50/60 kt headwind for time of flight I postpone for 24 hrs..

Agreed but I needed to be at some meetings Friday an Saturday.  However, if the front would have been right on top of my flight path with no good way around bad weather i.e. thunderstorms, extended areas of LIFR,  and icing  I would have postponed my flight or scrubbed it outright.  So a slower flight in good weather worked for me not ideal though.

It depends.  Solo, I might pick the quicker route.  With my wife, always the smoother route.  However, I do not want to spend all day cruising in the weather so I would take a look at the skew-t and see if I might be between layers.

Don't forget about vertical planning.  Looking at windytv.com the other day when I flew Auburn WA, Bend OR, Portland OR, Auburn WA; winds down low were out of the south.  Winds up high were out of the northwest.  If the weather had permitted I would have gone to Bend up high (we did, 9000') and back from Portland at 3000' (couldn't because of weather).  We did come back at 6000' though and still got a small bit of tailwind both ways.

11 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

John,

For once I finally got a tailwind both directions. Went north Wednesday and arrived at KDAY just as the front was hitting,   Just returned a couple of  hours ago and had a 180k GS almost the entire way back.  Wish I could see it on flight aware but no dice. Wonder what's up with that?

Check flightradar24.com.  

• Like 1

Last Thursday I flew to Tallahassee to attend my daughters graduation. The weather was great leading up to the day before, and was great the days after, so go figure the one time that I would like a nice clean ride I get this. I had watched the front very carefully and attempted to time my flight so that I would enter it near the tail end, and my planning paid off. While it looks really bad, the air was quite smooth and with the help of ATC was able to thread my way around the rough stuff.  In planning the trip, I had a comprehensive backup plan worked out which would have taken me back to VFR and to an airport which had rental cars. 

When I arrived in the terminal area the skies were overcast, with the bases up around 7,000 feet with some scattered at 2,000, so it was clear sailing to the field - or so I thought. While making the procedure turn for the GPS 18 approach, the controller warned me of windshear on final. With that in hand, I continued the approach with a tight grip on the throttle. It was a bumpy ride indeed and my ground speed was all over the place (see picture) and at one point I glanced up at the screen and saw 50 kts while indicated was 100. Over the numbers and near ground effect the air smoothed out  and I managed to grease it in on the center line. My wife was white knuckled.

Tally.jpg

Tally2.jpg

6 minutes ago, thinwing said:

That's turned out ok...except your wife..she won't forget that approach so any time she sees anything painting ,she will be negotiating the time,route,altitude etc etc..or worse case ,refuse to fly altogether...

She's a pretty good sport. If she sees something that would make her decide not to go, I wouldn't go either.

If I can get home 2 minutes faster I am willing to have my fillings knocked out (tongue in cheek reply, within the bounds of safety) on the ride home. 

Weather breaks down into perfect, terrible, and will kill you.  The first 2 are ok, the 3rd is a little rougher.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:27 PM, 1964-M20E said:

Well I had an adventurous weekend flying.  Flew up to Indianapolis for a meeting this weekend and was met with 50 to 60kt headwinds the entire way up 7.5 hours of flying for what should have been 4.5 hours.  Stopped in MO to get fuel after 5 hours of flying and then continued to Indianapolis.

I chose to fly on the back side of the front that just went through late last week knowing I was in for serious headwinds but with mostly VMC weather.  I could have flown further east and went further distance with less headwinds or even some tail winds but I would have been in worse weather lower ceilings, rain etc.

Just wondering if others have done the same thing?  This was the first time I got saddled with that much headwind when making a decision like this..

My question to you is why so high?  Most of my training was 3,500 ft of less, it wasn't considered dangerous then, and I don't consider it so now. We're the winds at 50-60kts down low? Too bumpy? Too long in the soup? I hate headwinds and I hate  turbulence beyond light chop unless it's for short periods. I will fly pretty low to stay out of strong headwinds (as low as 2000'AGL in cruise ). I will also take 10-15 Ktas on the nose for smooth air over moderate chop. I did the 450nm nonstop to Rockland Maine last summer at about 130kts across the ground because it was so much smoother above 9,000.i could have stayed in the bumps but it was still windy down there. 10kts for comfortable air is an easy decision for me if I have folk on board. Flying solo, I'm willing to tolerate more in the way of discomfort.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

Flying lower these past two winters in the Ovation I've gotten a lot of actual IMC and a lot of bumpy rides.  Safe enough if uncomfortable and the TKS knocks the ice off just fine, but it sure is smoother a couple of miles higher up.  I've left a number of Bose-shaped dents in the headliner.

The wife says "get another turboprop,"  bless her soul.  

Likewise at FL270 she hates it when I hand fly and tells me to turn the autopilot back on.  I, married for decades, know exactly how to handle women: I say, "Yes, dear." 

• Like 2

Just now, Jerry 5TJ said:

I've left a number of Bose-shaped dents in the headliner.

Which begs the question, just how much punishment can the airframe take? I have been tossed around a lot, but nothing that I felt the plane couldn't take. 

I'm sure there are some horror stories out there told by survivors.