Dear airline driver friends

bradp

If I am flying VFR in VMC and I have you in sight but you don't have me insight...

... and we are both talking to the same approach controller

... and you get an RA on your TCAS 

... are you obligated to respond to that RA?

I did that to a delta MD-88 departing EWR somewhere south of the NY class B a while back and man did that pilot sound Pissed on the radio.  He was chewing out the NY app controller until the approach controller politely told him to buzz off he was too busy.

Just wondering... thanks for your insight.  

Generally we do have to respond to the RA even if we have a visual since the RA may be directing us for multiple threats...some of which we may not see, or might have identified as the wrong conflict.  Visibility from a jet can be very limited in some quadrants.

• Like 6

I felt bad I did it to an Alaskan crew cruising thru Palm Springs. They were pissed at approach too. 

I'll give them some more space next time so that we don't converge. That's about all one can do. The controllers are not obligated to give vectors to VFR traffic was the official response from a few controller friends.

It was kinda neat to see configured 737-800 spool up and start climbing!! 

Don't beat yourself up,

-Matt

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

RA?

An RA or Resolution Advisory is originated from the onboard TCAS II system. It tells the pilot to climb or descend to avoid conflicting traffic (collision avoidance). The RA for TCASII equipped traffic is coordinated between planes so one aircraft is told to descend and the other to climb. The voice announcement is simultaneous to a rate of climb/descend indication on the IVSI. RAs are also issue for non TCAS II equipped traffic on the assumption that the traffic will maintain its rate of climb/descend. False conflict warnings are most common on parallel runway approaches RA (turning base). TCASII systems are programmed with the aircraft climb performance so it will not issue a climb when plane is already at its ceiling. It will also not issue a descent when below RA 2000ft or on approach. Unlike ATC radar TCAS works over the oceanic routes and is used to maintain separation.

José

• Like 1