Bendix/King --- Are you kidding???

• 11 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 7:50 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Any update on BK's plan?

Sorry for bumping an older thread. My DME KX62a needs a replacement display and the local (amazing) shop said they can't get parts for it. Called King and they gave me the name of 4 shops in the Americas that are authorized to work on them; 3 are in the United States. So I'll try to get a quote from them assuming a new display.

In the G1000 we have the same issue with Garmin. Not much you can do but slide out and replace. The good side of Garmin though is that when you upgrade there is nearly zero labor, everything is either software or slide in / slide out an LRU on the G1000. The future of 100 hours of labor to route tons of wires around is probably dying.

-Robert

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Sorry for bumping an older thread. My DME KX62a needs a replacement display and the local (amazing) shop said they can't get parts for it. Called King and they gave me the name of 4 shops in the Americas that are authorized to work on them; 3 are in the United States. So I'll try to get a quote from them assuming a new display.

In the G1000 we have the same issue with Garmin. Not much you can do but slide out and replace. The good side of Garmin though is that when you upgrade there is nearly zero labor, everything is either software or slide in / slide out an LRU on the G1000. The future of 100 hours of labor to route tons of wires around is probably dying.

-Robert

My DME display was going out about 10 years ago. I asked the avionics shop about getting a new one and they said they were not available and the last time they were available they were about $1000.

I found a new one listed on EBAY for $25 so I bought it. They are real easy to change, they just plug in. The one I got was made wrong. The nipple where they fill it with gas was in the wrong place and it wouldnt fit. That’s probably why it was on EBAY for so cheap. There is just a plastic support piece behind the display with a cutout for the nipple. I just Dremmeled out a new cutout and it went right in. It worked great and looked brand new. It still does.

It doesn’t help you out, but it was a great EBAY find.

• Like 1

Guest tommy123

Glad I sold my kx-155. I would never buy another king product new or used. They stopped making the pins for the legacy radios and they’re $3 each now and getting more expensive.

6 hours ago, tommy123 said:

Glad I sold my kx-155. I would never buy another king product new or used. They stopped making the pins for the legacy radios and they’re $3 each now and getting more expensive.

FWIW

King doesn’t make those pins, Molex made them. 

Molex stopped making them not King.

BTW

I have a few hundred if anybody needs some.

Until earlier in this decade the displays for the King Silver Crown radios were still available as new old stock.  

I replaced half a dozen or so for folks over the years.  

Then the supply got scarce and expensive.  You can still find a display for a KX155 or similar but the asking price is now over $500 —   Not from Honeywell but from private vendors who know the value of what they have.  

A restored KX155 is still a good radio but it dates from the era of the Sony Betamax.  (Anyone tried to get parts for one of those things recently? )

• Like 1

Until earlier in this decade the displays for the King Silver Crown radios were still available as new old stock.  
I replaced half a dozen or so for folks over the years.  
Then the supply got scarce and expensive.  You can still find a display for a KX155 or similar but the asking price is now over $500 —   Not from Honeywell but from private vendors who know the value of what they have.  
A restored KX155 is still a good radio but it dates from the era of the Sony Betamax.  (Anyone tried to get parts for one of those things recently? )

For what it’s worth both the send and receive audio quality on my KX155 is superior to my 530, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t get replaced if it ever had serious problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk