JPI EDM 900 Relocation

Been a while since I've done any panel work. Initially when I did my panel over, I had a regular old DG with 2 CDIs for the Navs. Eventually, I put the NSD1000 in which led me to have a blank spot in the upper right hand corner of my '8 pack' since the DG was removed. I've been thinking lately about moving some things around and today I decided to relocated my EDM900 to the spot where my GI-206A use to be. I will be putting my iPad mini in the spot previously occupied by the EDM 900. It was a huge pain in the ass since when I installed the JPI initially I did not give myself enough excess room to move wires 2 feet, so 8 hours later here is the finished result. First picture is the 'before' picture. This is a perfect example of why I can't leave well enough alone, when will the madness stop?! 

IMG_7606.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

IMG_8748.JPG

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Nice work. I know it's a little late but I think JPI has wire extensions for this type of movement (not sure about primary units). I would see if an iPad Air fits on the open panel. The mini is pretty small for that distance. 

I was able to make my own wire extensions with some connectors I had, I was lucky that I only had to use two butt splices to accomplish it. The important thing is to use the same 'type K' thermocouple wire when making the extensions.

40 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Good job...I'm of the very firm opinion that the engine monitor (especially primary) should be on the left side of the panel.

I agree, it was very difficult to see on the right side of the panel. There is no point in spending all that money on a primary engine monitor if you can't see what it is telling you. Previously I always had to lean over and use my hand to hide the glare to see anything. This should be a big improvement!

• Like 2

On May 5, 2017 at 9:33 PM, N6758N said:

I agree, it was very difficult to see on the right side of the panel. There is no point in spending all that money on a primary engine monitor if you can't see what it is telling you. Previously I always had to lean over and use my hand to hide the glare to see anything. This should be a big improvement!

I heard you come out of Brandywine yesterday with Philly and wanted to give a fellow mooneyspacer a shout out but thought better of it ;) 

How did the new 900 location work?

13 hours ago, Garryowen said:

I heard you come out of Brandywine yesterday with Philly and wanted to give a fellow mooneyspacer a shout out but thought better of it ;) 

How did the new 900 location work?

Haha too funny, I am always hesitant to give someone a shout out on a frequency unless it is CTAF. The new location worked well, I need to get used to its new location as my eyes have become used to the old location for the last 3+ years. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I finished the tablet mount. I used a 3 1/8" blanking plate from where the EDM 900 went to mount a RAM system for the iPad mini. Ordered a universal style cradle (my partner has an android) and used a short extension to achieve the desired effect. I have my mini in an otterbox and despite that, the cradle still fit very well. 

x.jpg

y.jpg

zx.jpg

• Like 2