Insurance

4 hours ago, TCC said:

Don't believe USAA has a third party relationship any longer for aircraft insurance. I know they used to.

When I bought my Mooney in 07, I called USAA first. They told me they no longer insure private aircraft. They insure my home, cars, boat and everything else, and their Visa is a great deal, to say nothing of checking & savings.

Now, thanks to Anthony, I need to call them again since I'm coming up on renewal with Falcon (the MAPA discount is nice).

Hank,

I called USAA.  They sent me to Brenda at Falcon.  The policy is held by Old Republic.  And the MAPA discount is greatly appreciated...

I don't know if Brenda is there any longer.

+1 for the USAA credit card too. Lowest costs for a credit card.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

Hi Hank & Anthony.

I've lurked here for many years while active duty. Transitioned last fall to USAA in the learning & development world. Left COS for the 5C1 area near San Antonio and less than an hour from Kerrville.

I'll check to see if we do still work with aircraft now that I'm on the inside. I looked into USAA when I was looking at buying in COS and they weren't accepting new policy holders then. Things may have changed, though.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TCC said:

Don't believe USAA has a third party relationship any longer for aircraft insurance. I know they used to.

Falcon has a USAA Department and offers discounts for USAA members. I was quoted by I think three different brokers last December when I bought my plane, all were underwriting through STARR but USAA came back the best.

This is who helped me out at Falcon.

Arlene Rodriguez
Agent USAA Department
Falcon Insurance Agency, Inc. - Kerrville
P.O. Box 291388
Kerrville, TX  78029
Toll Free: 866-750-8722

Fax: 830-792-1144
www.falconinsurance.com

• Like 1

Sounds like things have changed since I was in the market.

As@Skates97 posted, we (USAA) do have an alliance with Falcon Insurance to serve our members with a need for aviation insurance solutions.

In addition to the information posted above, USAA members can search usaa.com for information on our aviation insurance alliance.

Note, that I'm a USAA employee providing information publicly available to members. This is not a USAA ad or endorsement of any USAA product or service.

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 9:33 PM, Skates97 said:

Falcon has a USAA Department and offers discounts for USAA members. I was quoted by I think three different brokers last December when I bought my plane, all were underwriting through STARR but USAA came back the best.

This is who helped me out at Falcon.

Arlene Rodriguez
Agent USAA Department
Falcon Insurance Agency, Inc. - Kerrville
P.O. Box 291388
Kerrville, TX  78029
Toll Free: 866-750-8722

Fax: 830-792-1144
www.falconinsurance.com

That's not unusual. I have a lot of vehicles insured through USAA.  For the motorcycles and boats USAA is just a broker and Progressive is the insurer. For cars and real estate USAA is the insurer  When I looked at classic vehicle insurance USAA also was just a broker for someone else  

-Robert

On 5/10/2017 at 6:26 AM, TCC said:

Sounds like things have changed since I was in the market.

As@Skates97 posted, we (USAA) do have an alliance with Falcon Insurance to serve our members with a need for aviation insurance solutions.

In addition to the information posted above, USAA members can search usaa.com for information on our aviation insurance alliance.

Note, that I'm a USAA employee providing information publicly available to members. This is not a USAA ad or endorsement of any USAA product or service.

When I renewed in late June, my Falcon rep specifically said there was no USAA discount on their rates. He said that because I had read it here and asked. But it was still only ~$850 for the year. Maybe I should call San Antonio and confirm this? 

The only non-USAA insurance I've ever had in my life is my Mooney. Been with them since I got my permit at 15, decades before cell phones came out. Hey, next summer I'll add another decade with them!

Edited by Hank

2 hours ago, Hank said:

When I renewed in late June, my Falcon rep specifically said there was no USAA discount on their rates. He said that because I had read it here and asked. But it was still only ~$850 for the year. Maybe I should call San Antonio and confirm this? 

The only non-USAA insurance I've ever had in my life is my Mooney. Been with them since I got my permit at 15, decades before cell phones came out. Hey, next summer I'll add another decade with them!

Maybe there was no specific USAA discount, but they came in cheaper than the others I was getting quotes from so that worked for me. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

That's not unusual. I have a lot of vehicles insured through USAA.  For the motorcycles and boats USAA is just a broker and Progressive is the insurer. For cars and real estate USAA is the insurer  When I looked at classic vehicle insurance USAA also was just a broker for someone else  

-Robert

Same goes for RVs (recreational vehicles - not the plane).  Mine is Progressive through USAA.  They also do not provide insurance for homes in hurricane areas.  Found that one out when I moved to Florida. 

Went through USAA to falcon. 150 hour private pilot, 1 hour in model, 1 hour complex. $50k hull, standard coverage. Came in cheapest at $1600 and compared many brokers. Requirement was 1 hour with CFI and 1 hour solo. 

Oddly enough I had to ditch USAA for other insurance. For some reason they were quoting my wife and I double what they quoted others, with half the coverage. I called up a local broker and they ran a quote and came backed shocked that we were accepted by a special group that normally won’t underwrite for this unless people are "exceptionally" qualified and in the right demographic (household income, education, credit, risk, etc). Doubled our coverage, cut our cost by about $2500 a year. I still call usaa on occasion and have them review and they always go over it, apologize and say they can’t even come close

Edited by gitmo234

16 hours ago, Hank said:

I had to wait until I was married to get usaa car insurance. When I was single  it was far more expensive than others. Like double. 

-Robert 

On 5/5/2017 at 10:19 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I went from M20C to M20K. Broker said M20 is M20.

I also moved from a M20C to M20K.  I had a horrible time getting my insurance squared away on the M20K.  That's a whole other story that is much longer than anyone would care to read. But, I learned a few things along the way.  Some brokers have know idea what they are talking about.  From my understanding, most all underwriters differentiate between the models of Mooneys. I had a quote, in writing, saying that I didn't need any transition training when I moved into a K.  This was important too me as I wanted to pick the airplane up the following week and lining up an appropriate transition instructor would have been near impossible in the time frame I was shooting for.  I had 2,200tt with over 800 Mooney hours, but only 3 in a K. I felt confident that I didn't need the dual. That particular broker was on thin ice with me at the time so I called Falcon.  Falcon got the same quote (From Global) but they said I needed 2hrs with an instructor.  I mentioned that the other broker said I didn't need the transition training.  Falcon said they were wrong and the Global policy that I was quoted from them did require it. I called the other broker back and asked them to verify with Global that I didn't need the training. Turns out the broker was wrong, they apologized and said they thought M20 time was M20 time.  I wonder what would have happen if I went with them, didn't get training and had a claim?  I'm assuming the brokerage would have some sort of liability insurance to step up?  I don't know. 

I ended up going with Falcon and getting the dual(Glad I did).  I'm very satisfied with Falcon and my broker there.  My experience with Global after suffering a total loss has been great too.  

Cheers,

Dan 

7 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I also moved from a M20C to M20K.  I had a horrible time getting my insurance squared away on the M20K.  That's a whole other story that is much longer than anyone would care to read. But, I learned a few things along the way.  Some brokers have know idea what they are talking about.  From my understanding, most all underwriters differentiate between the models of Mooneys. I had a quote, in writing, saying that I didn't need any transition training when I moved into a K.  This was important too me as I wanted to pick the airplane up the following week and lining up an appropriate transition instructor would have been near impossible in the time frame I was shooting for.  I had 2,200tt with over 800 Mooney hours, but only 3 in a K. I felt confident that I didn't need the dual. That particular broker was on thin ice with me at the time so I called Falcon.  Falcon got the same quote (From Global) but they said I needed 2hrs with an instructor.  I mentioned that the other broker said I didn't need the transition training.  Falcon said they were wrong and the Global policy that I was quoted from them did require it. I called the other broker back and asked them to verify with Global that I didn't need the training. Turns out the broker was wrong, they apologized and said they thought M20 time was M20 time.  I wonder what would have happen if I went with them, didn't get training and had a claim?  I'm assuming the brokerage would have some sort of liability insurance to step up?  I don't know. 

I ended up going with Falcon and getting the dual(Glad I did).  I'm very satisfied with Falcon and my broker there.  My experience with Global after suffering a total loss has been great too.  

Cheers,

Dan 

My guess is they have Errors and Omissions Insurance to cover stuff like that for them.

On August 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM, DanM20C said:

From my understanding, most all underwriters differentiate between the models of Mooneys.

Hmm. I asked about that specifically and was told M20 time was M20 time (though maybe that doesn't hold true for turbos). My M20B time was "good enough" for my M20E, though that's the same airframe and just a slightly different (IO-360 vs. O-360) engine and different flaps (hydraulic vs mechanical); otherwise basically identical. But I did specifically ask about the E/B distinction and had multiple brokers tell me it wasn't an issue, and my policy only says "M20" without a trailing letter vis-a-vis time requirements.

BE sure and ask, I cant get my insurer to consider M20F time in lieu of M20J for time in type. His airplane has the fiberglass cowl, big windshield, the lower gear doors, hell it even has the modern wingtips, which mine doesnt have.  Nope, they wont consider it.

As others have said, most insurance companies differentiate between each M20 model. I have a friend who had over 5,000 hrs flying a Cessna 206. He started his own Aerial survey company and went out and bought a 207, the insurance company would not count his time towards it. He ended up hiring a CFI with no experience in either airplane so he could get his 'mandatory' CFI time. Pretty stupid when you think about it. 

When my 64E was totaled, my insurance company covered me in my replacement 65C without any restriction.  Recently a M20F owner (with electric gear, which I had never flown) had me added as a named pilot on his policy, again without restriction.  So maybe it depends.

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

BE sure and ask, I cant get my insurer to consider M20F time in lieu of M20J for time in type. His airplane has the fiberglass cowl, big windshield, the lower gear doors, hell it even has the modern wingtips, which mine doesnt have.  Nope, they wont consider it.

Time to get a new broker. I can just about guarantee mine would be fine with F=J time.

21 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Time to get a new broker. I can just about guarantee mine would be fine with F=J time.

It's not the broker's call.  They are just the middleman.  I'm guessing jetdriven was trying to get him added to his existing policy and the current carrier wouldn't go for it.  At renewal the broker could shop around for a different carrier that might consider it.

That being said, If I were an underwriter I would have no problem using F time toward a J.

I used Falcon when I bought my 67F last August, well priced at 825, with a 50K hull. I had 150 hrs in a M20C a long time ago, no CFI requirements from the insurance( although I did get a few hours dual for my benefit ) This years quote from Falcon jumped up to 960. I called AOPA insurance and they quoted 662. Falcon lost a good customer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/28/2017 at 2:29 PM, DanM20C said:

It's not the broker's call.  They are just the middleman.  I'm guessing jetdriven was trying to get him added to his existing policy and the current carrier wouldn't go for it.  At renewal the broker could shop around for a different carrier that might consider it.

That being said, If I were an underwriter I would have no problem using F time toward a J.

Some brokers, mine included have *significant* input into what comes back from the underwriter. I've been amazed at what she can do for some of the people I've referred to her.