Mystery antenna

Old comm antenna probably. Possibly still used. Easy place to put it as the radio is only inches away. Not the best looking place but if it works and no panel upgrades are in the near future I wouldn't worry about it.

Just tell people it's the newest wifi antenna. Or sat phone. 

-Matt

• Like 2

Likely one of the comm antennas.  I'm pretty sure that was an original location. Mine has the hole there in the structure.  The problem with the location is that it causes lots of interference, including nav, when transmitting.  

My 64 E originally had an antenna in that center section between the radio hatches in front of the windscreen. 

It was a Com antenna about 22" long.  I used it as my #2 com antenna.  It did not work very well, probably due to poor ground counterpoise, but the feed line was short.  

It's either a Loran Antenna which based on the length it looks like it is.  Or it is a VHF antenna which would be a bit shorter than the Loran Antenna.  Made by Comit

Pull a cover and trace the coax

65C had one centered between the radio access panels.  Mine looked like an ADF wire insulator. Probably what they used to plug the hole...

Plan on taking the ceiling panel down once, early in your ownership.  Just to mend a few things that have gotten old up there.

Like airflow controls, antennae, water drain, that kind of thing...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

12 inches plus a little bit is a VHF quarterwave.   What I can't figure out is if you include the part before the bend and after or just a bit more.   There are online calculators to figure out the correct dimensions.  The best would be to have one of their vhf antennas and measure it.

http://hangarswap.com/ci122sp-6-comant-loran-c-antenna

http://hangarswap.com/comant-vhf-ci122-antenna-with-bracket?search=comant vhf antenna

6 hours ago, Yetti said:

12 inches plus a little bit is a VHF quarterwave.   What I can't figure out is if you include the part before the bend and after or just a bit more.   There are online calculators to figure out the correct dimensions.  The best would be to have one of their vhf antennas and measure it.

http://hangarswap.com/ci122sp-6-comant-loran-c-antenna

http://hangarswap.com/comant-vhf-ci122-antenna-with-bracket?search=comant vhf antenna

Electrically the bend makes no difference with regards to wavelength matching...just bent for some dubious aerodynamics...measure the entire length

It is a com antenna my 64E had the same thing.  Works well there short coax cable to the radio.  It is a real simple antenna just the rod with a couple of insulators to keep it form making contact to the air frame.  Simple connection to the center conductor of the coax cable.

One day while tinkering with the plane the antenna rod came out of the base.  They are not that expensive.  I brought it home left it on the work bench for a couple of days and the rod was firmly attached back to the base.  No hangar fairies around since I was on the ramp at that time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 6:32 AM, 1964-M20E said:

It is a com antenna my 64E had the same thing.  Works well there short coax cable to the radio.  It is a real simple antenna just the rod with a couple of insulators to keep it form making contact to the air frame.  Simple connection to the center conductor of the coax cable.

One day while tinkering with the plane the antenna rod came out of the base.  They are not that expensive.  I brought it home left it on the work bench for a couple of days and the rod was firmly attached back to the base.  No hangar fairies around since I was on the ramp at that time.

I like it!..The Oral Roberts school of faith avionics repair!