Interior side panel backing material

Here's the honeycomb. You'll need some 5oz Carbon from soller composites and use real aircraft structural epoxy (MGS or Aeropostale) , not west system.  

Nomex Honeycomb Sheets, 1/8-3.0 48 inch x 96 inch x .125 Thick Panels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYZ5V6J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_D9nlzb9ZEYS1Z

• Like 1

I know the FAA is focused on self extenguishing burn tests, but I wonder if they give any thoughts to products of combustion?  These materials may be subject to other flame or heat sources such as electrical, fuel, oil etc and it seems to me that in these situations the plastics will be combusted by the primary flame source. In which case Boltaran which is PVC will have a combustion by product of HCl. Not someting one can breathe very long even in trace amounts.  The sign material which appears to be polyethylene or polypropylene is not self extenguishing by itself but might be less of a hazard backed with leather.   It would not produce HCl.  So as they say choose your poision.  

• Like 1

Abs is also an oil based polymer that is equally willing to burn...

The flame resistant polymers have a flame resistant material blended in the plastic the same time they are adding color, fillers, and stiffeners to it.

The flame resistant additive often has bromine in it.

Yes, you are going to breathe some crappy chemicals, but now, you will live long enough to tell what happened...

There are a few things that slow or increase the rate of burn. The worst ones melt very quickly and can run and spread like water...  an easy to melt, flammable material, that runs like water.... a lot like gasoline...

PP thoughts only, not a chemist.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

Yes, you are going to breathe some crappy chemicals, but now, you will live long enough to tell what happened..

it is not just the enviromental hygene exposure issue to be concerned about but the ability to see and breathe depending on the concentrations. I have escaped from some HCl gas releases back in my work days and believe me it is not just a hygene issue but the ability to see and continue breathing.  I fly with a portable smoke hood but doubt it would help much if acid kept me from seeing. 

Edited by Gary0747
Included a quote
  • Like 1

I'm still looking at different options for backing material. The boltaron looks like great stuff but it's $250 a sheet and I'm replacing all the structure around the baggage compartment as well...total gut. 

I'm going to visit a local plastic supplier and try some Celtic expanded pvc. It has some fire resistance and is very lightweight. Not sure on price yet. I'm also planning on DLT upholstery supply for carpet and leather/vinyl after I confirm the proper automotive level fire resistance certificate is available. 

46 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

I'm having them make new side carpet panels, rear spar to firewall (skipping the baggage compartment cuz it is fine) for $275....

The side panels for my M20c list for 1150 from airtex. How did you get the price down besides not going to the baggage area? I figured by the time I ordered all the panels around the baggage area (including the back panel) I'd be pushing 2k.

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

The side panels for my M20c list for 1150 from airtex. How did you get the price down besides not going to the baggage area? I figured by the time I ordered all the panels around the baggage area (including the back panel) I'd be pushing 2k.

That $275 isn't for all the side panels, just the carpet side panels;  there are plastic sections above the carpet side panels.  The backing on my panels was just deteriorating and the mechanic was complaining about it when he put it back together at annual.