M20E ForeFlight Checklist

My first stab at putting together a ForeFlight checklist for the M20E (developed for my 1966 manual landing gear "E" but it should be a good starting point for any E or F, maybe even J, model). This is an amalgamation of a flight school checklist for an M20B and what I could pull from the M20E POH. I have every "hot start" starting procedure I could find on this forum (which includes, I believe, the one from MAPA), just in case.

Constructive feedback always welcome. Hope folks find it helpful!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdwzd7uoy0hgy6b/Mooney M20E.fmd?dl=0

Edited by chrixxer
  • Like 2

Chrixxer,

If you add your plane details to your avatar, you might get better, more accurate help.

The M20B is very similar to the M20C in terms of flight characteristics. The rudder length and the rudder throw vary over construction years...

The M20C has a POH. Somebody posted here a while ago.

Best regards,

-a-

This looks amazing - I had started doing it for my m20e based on another checklist I had done in iAuditor but yours is very thorough, well done.

for hot starts I use technique 3 followed by flooded procedure - have always got it going with one or the other

on hot start technique 1 you may have missed the part where you run the fuel pump while throttle is full forward

• Like 2

Sorry had more to say:

on runup I would consider moving the "boost pump on" to much later in the sequence, essentially to the immediate pre-takeoff part (I am a CB and when that pump is running I just hear hundred dollar bills being torn up) 

overall nice work and I will use yours with slight modification as above!

joel.

M20E super 21

• Like 1

Just now, Scopes said:

This looks amazing - I had started doing it for my m20e based on another checklist I had done in iAuditor but yours is very thorough, well done.

for hot starts I use technique 3 followed by flooded procedure - have always got it going with one or the other

on hot start technique 1 you may have missed the part where you run the fuel pump while throttle is full forward

Thanks! Hope it ends up being useful for you!

Hot Start Technique 1 is the "FlyDave technique" from this thread.

And it's reported as:

Ok I stand corrected on the procedure you noted with no fuel pump - I must have read that at some point but didn't recall and have never tried it - to me I don't understand How moving the throttle back and forth without the fuel pump on or running the starter would work but seems like it works for people

Have you tried that method with success?

thanks for the hard work

j.

One other point

in the section on speeds, the speeds I use and listed in my encyclopedic :huh: 6-page long official FAA approved Mooney M20E flight manual are different (and are all generally higher so I wonder if these are M20C or A speeds); also a great resource is the Mooney Pilot Proficiency Program Manual - do you have that one?

j.

Just now, Scopes said:

One other point

in the section on speeds, the speeds I use and listed in my encyclopedic :huh: 6-page long official FAA approved Mooney M20E flight manual are different (and are all generally higher so I wonder if these are M20C or A speeds); also a great resource is the Mooney Pilot Proficiency Program Manual - do you have that one?

j.

Do you have the most recent version? Most of those speeds are straight from the '66 E POH. Some are fudged (the short field take off and Va).

POH p. 21: "Apply back pressure at about 65-75 lnph airspeed." (Vr)

Also p. 21: "An enroute climb speed of 115-120 inph IAS is recommended for improved cooling and good visibility. The speed for maximum rate of clinib is approxitnately 105 IAS [Vy]. The speed for maximum angle of cliinb (obstacle clearance) is about 80 inph IAS [Vx]."

POH p. 23: "Your airspeed indicator is marked with a green arc to 150 mph [Vno] and a yellow arc starting at 150 mph and ending at 189 mph [Vne]."

POH p. 24: "Landing gear down (lower at 120 mph or less)." [Vlo]

Also p. 24: "It is recommended that the base leg be flown at 90 mph. Upon turning final, or sooner if necessary, extend the desired amount of flaps. Flap speed is 100 mph. [Vfe] As the flaps are extended, the aircraft will become nose heavy. Roll the trim back so that the aircraft will glide hands-off at approxiinately 80 mph."

POH p. 39: Figure 4 for Vs and Vs0; Figure 5 for Vbest ("The speed at which the M20E is most efficient (i.e. the Ratio of Lift to Drag is at a Maximum) is 107MPH INDICATED AIRSPEED")

... If there's better info out there, happy to adjust to incorporate!

I don't have the Mooney Pilot Proficiency Program Manual ... This? http://www.clubcherokee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Mooney.pdf 

Comparing 2-10 of that document (which came from a '65 E manual) to my numbers, they're pretty similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrixxer said:

My first stab at putting together a ForeFlight checklist for the M20E (developed for my 1966 manual landing gear "E" but it should be a good starting point for any E or F, maybe even J, model). This is an amalgamation of a flight school checklist for an M20B and what I could pull from the M20E POH. I have every "hot start" starting procedure I could find on this forum (which includes, I believe, the one from MAPA), just in case.

Thanks Chrixxer!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2017 at 7:22 PM, chrixxer said:

Chrixxer it is saying no longer available can you repost possibly or send it to me?

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

A rare Chrixxer sighting...!

I was summoned via PM ... Haven't been flying the Mooney lately, between (a) it not having an engine, (b) training in the Duchess, and (c) the whole "world shutting down" thing a few weeks ago. Meh. About to get back into it, though. Finally (!?) got forwarded the Divco invoices from January, paid them ... Let's get this project back on track!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ReconJon said:

Those didn't work. They are corrupted files.

They're not; I just tried the M20E checklist: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iq7aqwqjrisagz/RPReplay_Final1587761951.MP4?dl=0

In Safari, tapping the link to the .fmd file opens Google Drive, which recognizes it as an unsupported file. But tap the menu icon at the top (the three dots) and select Open In, and then expand the list to see all the apps on the device to select ForeFlight. ForeFlight opens it and adds it to the list of checklists (and you can see it opens just fine, in the video).

How are you trying to import it into ForeFlight? Maybe I can help...

19 hours ago, chrixxer said:

They're not; I just tried the M20E checklist: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iq7aqwqjrisagz/RPReplay_Final1587761951.MP4?dl=0

In Safari, tapping the link to the .fmd file opens Google Drive, which recognizes it as an unsupported file. But tap the menu icon at the top (the three dots) and select Open In, and then expand the list to see all the apps on the device to select ForeFlight. ForeFlight opens it and adds it to the list of checklists (and you can see it opens just fine, in the video).

How are you trying to import it into ForeFlight? Maybe I can help...

That did it, your awesome man. If your ever in the Olympia area Ill buy you a beer.

• Like 2