Cost for battery install

I would say if a battery cost over $350 (309 plus shipping from ACS) which I'm pretty sure the do now days. Another $100, to remove the old one, dispose of, install new, and a log entrie. Seams fair to me. 

-Matt

• Like 1

In that case, I want to thank him for his service.  I hope we can save him some cash.  If I might translate my post, yes, it seems high to me.  It is owner approved maintenance, in the case of an m20f, it requires removal of one of the easiest panels and the battery box cover.  Unless the replacement requires tracing of an electrical gremlin, and is not a standard maintenance, it seems high to me.

As a mechanically inexperienced owner, it took me about 30 minute to very cautiously replace my battery.  I imagine it's a trivial job for an A&P.  I think the Concorde battery itself cost me around 280 from Spruce plus shipping. If you give the shop some markup on the battery and allow them to round up to a minimum one hour of labor, then the price seems not cheap but not shameless gouging either.

• Like 1

To the OP, the price is in-line with many shops I know who have done this work.  To replace either of my two Ovation batteries, I'm looking at ~$564 for each battery, and I do the work myself.  Assume another couple hundred max for a shop to do the work, and you're up in the $700-$800 range...so again, $466 is more than reasonable for your "F".

Steve

For those who believe that the charge is too high and you were the shop owner who had the battery in stock, what do you feel is a fair price for this job?

Clarence

Lets see,

If not in stock get on phone and order it.

It arrives you check it in against the order

Then you unpack it and fill the cells and wait a while

Then you charge it as per the ICA (right? :-)

Then you open the airplane and remove the old one 

Install the new one and check the installation

Close the airplane back up

Fill out the log book or page insert

Make up the customer's bill

Do something with the old one

Now wait to be paid.

Enough for an extra $100 on top of battery price?

Just askin

1) First decide whether the Brand matters.

2) Then decide whether the wet cell or sealed battery is good for you.

3) the price is all battery + an hour install

4) if you have a long body... the price is all batteries + an hour install

5) sitting for a month is tough on batteries. A good high tech battery minder is recommended...

+1 for Concorde, Sealed, and the quality of Cliffy or Clarence to make it happen properly.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

Lets see,

If not in stock get on phone and order it.

It arrives you check it in against the order

Then you unpack it and fill the cells and wait a while

Then you charge it as per the ICA (right? :-)

Then you open the airplane and remove the old one 

Install the new one and check the installation

Close the airplane back up

Fill out the log book or page insert

Make up the customer's bill

Do something with the old one

Now wait to be paid.

Enough for an extra $100 on top of battery price?

Just askin

That's just mentioning known items! Lol

-Matt

10 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

If you're not going to fly the plane for awhile, why not wait and have it installed closer to when you'll be flying regularly.  Disuse is not kind to batteries.  :wacko:

What Gus said.

If the mechanic is going to go to your plane with the battery then I'm sure his time is worth that price. If you are ordering the battery yourself and having them install it I would order from
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraft/batteries/concorde-rg-batteries.html they are cheaper that spruce and have free ground shipping. Not paying for shipping can help offset the mechanic rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DrBill said:

A/S sells rg35 for @289, no more than 1 hr to install (100) so 400 would be about right.

plus shop gets 15 percent off at A/S,

Bill

Spruce doesn't give anyone 15% and they sure don't give free shipping in Canada.  They're closer to the one price for everyone, just like Home Depot.

Clarence

I think the price is about right... but...

the battery is just so easy to replace, might as well wait until the next time you go flying and roll it in to your preflight.

on a F/J, it's no more difficult than any car battery.  It's a bit more complicated on the missile/rocket, but only because sliding a battery box into the tail cone without hitting/damaging a static line is a bit cumbersome.

I'd say about 15 minutes of work, maybe, on a E/F/J. About 45 minutes on a missile, rocket.  Not sure how the long bodies are set up- if they have their batteries buried in the back like the missile/rocket or right next to the access panel like the earlier models?

again, I think if you're going to pay the shop to do it, that's a fair price- but I'd consider at least giving it a try yourself if you're up to saving a hundred bucks.

I really think the appropriate time is before the job is done.  Simply ask: "How much for ___ Battery?  What is installation charge for labor/logbook?  What is your rate for labor___Thank you.  When can you install?  Thank you.  I would like you to do that.  Send bill to____.

On 5/2/2017 at 4:19 PM, M20Doc said:

For those who believe that the charge is too high and you were the shop owner who had the battery in stock, what do you feel is a fair price for this job?

Clarence

Do we know the shop is stocking the battery? I don't see paying 20-30% markup for them to order the battery from Aviall, which is even more expensive than spruce

• Like 1

I know i paid over $300 for the Concorde.  Think it was from Chief.  Put it in and logged it myself.  

But who are we to knock a shop for charging a $100 or so for install.  There is more than just shop's labor in an hourly rate.

Beauty of the free market, you could always get another quote...