Thicker Windshield

I have read many of the threads on windshields.  I am looking specifically for folks that have replaced their stock windshield with the thicker .25" version.  Was there a noticeable sound reduction?

I am planning on replacing my stock, very crazed windshield, with GLAP Grey SC, and just trying to decide between stock thickness and the .25"

Can't say I noticed a noise difference, but it has certainly kept at least one bird out.  I would do it again.  I only added the thicker glass to the windshield.  I went with clear glass, but would not do that again.  Too much solar heating.  Grey is a good idea.  

A few things I recall while looking into doing this for my C back in the day...

1) weight and balance.

2) Additional effort required to shape the edges for installation.

3) +1 on getting the right shade. I experimented with a clear window while removing the window in the door.  It is amazing how much heat enters the cabin without the tint.  Coke bottle green was the standard back in the day.  Solar gray would be better.

4) Impact resistance improvement is good.

5) Sound improvement may depend on how much sound insulation you have everywhere else.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kpaul said:

I have read many of the threads on windshields.  I am looking specifically for folks that have replaced their stock windshield with the thicker .25" version.  Was there a noticeable sound reduction?

I am planning on replacing my stock, very crazed windshield, with GLAP Grey SC, and just trying to decide between stock thickness and the .25"

It looks like roughly $100 difference. The expensive part, the labor, is the same. If you don't do the .25" you'll always wish you had. And as mentioned, in the case of a bird strike, you stand a better chance with the extra thickness. Good choice on the solar gray.

2 hours ago, Dave Colangelo said:

I would think a nice ANR headset is cheaper than a new windshield

Not really, although my whole family already has Bose.  But, let just call it $1500 window plus install done by A&P.  4 X Bose = $4000

Also, I need a new windshield, flying into the Sun is like going into warp speed - it sucks

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Also installation labor might be increased more than you think

Yep that is my fear, and for what gain? Since I already have NC headsets and regular thickness on the side windows.

Having ended more than one birds flight time, I do appreciate the added protection, especially with my more vertical windshield.  

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

If the thicker windshield weighs more than a pound more than the original a weight and balance update will be required

I just put in a email to GLAP to ascertain the difference in weight between the original and the thicker one.

25 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Not really, although my whole family already has Bose.  But, let just call it $1500 window plus install done by A&P.  4 X Bose = $4000

Also, I need a new windshield, flying into the Sun is like going into warp speed - it sucks

Fair enough, I learn something new about these planes every day!

Been a while, so I'm having to remember.  We went with the thicker replacement 1-piece (not 201) windshield.  BTW, I highly recommend this replacement.  It makes a big difference in visibility without affecting the avionics access.  I seem to remember commenting that it reduced the noise, but by how much?  I suppose I should have carried a sound pressure level (SPL) meter with me.  Our planes are still loud, no matter what you do.  If you have ANC, I doubt you will notice a great difference.

2 minutes ago, Dave Colangelo said:

Fair enough, I learn something new about these planes every day!

Actually the windshield itself is airplane cheap $263 for stock clear up to $540 for Grey Solar Control .25" thick.  Its the labor that get you.  And I am in no position to help in order to reduce the labor.  However since I am overseas and unable to fly, seems like a good time to be without a windshield. 

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Sounds like Kpaul is experiencing micro/fine surface scratches on the windshield.

it might make sense to try and resurface the windshield just before committing to buying the new one.

Best regards,

-a-

I am pretty sure that they are fine cracks (crazing) in the plastic, but I could be wrong.  From what I can tell in the log books the window is only 42 years young.  I am actually looking forward to getting the solar control though, anything to help cut down on the UV.

16 hours ago, kpaul said:

I just put in a email to GLAP to ascertain the difference in weight between the original and the thicker one.

GLAP says 2-3 pounds increase in weight.  Another added decision - loss of usable weight.

Eat one less cheeseburger, fires and shake a month and gain 5 lbs of useful load back over a year.:P:D:huh:

Seriously though I would not worry about 2 to 3 lbs.  Yes we are always looking at useful load and every pound eats into that.  I generally fly under gross simply because of my mission.  Rarely have I been at gross but then how many of us weigh every item we put into the plane and do a W&B?  I have done W&B with general numbers usually adding 5 lbs to the weight any of my passengers tell me for themselves and 5 lbs to their bags.

I rarely have more than 1 passenger in the plane with me.

Either way you are getting a new clean tinted windshield that will make flying more enjoyable.

I did the side windows in solar grey a few years ago.  I really like the change from origional.  I held off on the windshield with the idea of rather than spending the money to replace the window it is a good time to invest in a 201 upgrade.  If you are spending the money to replace the window it is worth looking at upgradjng.   

2 hours ago, TTaylor said:

I did the side windows in solar grey a few years ago.  I really like the change from origional.  I held off on the windshield with the idea of rather than spending the money to replace the window it is a good time to invest in a 201 upgrade.  If you are spending the money to replace the window it is worth looking at upgradjng.   

The 201 windshield is not in the budget.

3 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Eat one less cheeseburger, fires and shake a month and gain 5 lbs of useful load back over a year.:P:D:huh:

Seriously though I would not worry about 2 to 3 lbs.  Yes we are always looking at useful load and every pound eats into that.  I generally fly under gross simply because of my mission.  Rarely have I been at gross but then how many of us weigh every item we put into the plane and do a W&B?  I have done W&B with general numbers usually adding 5 lbs to the weight any of my passengers tell me for themselves and 5 lbs to their bags.

I rarely have more than 1 passenger in the plane with me.

Either way you are getting a new clean tinted windshield that will make flying more enjoyable.

I rarely fly with less than 3 1/2 people.  I use my plane for family trips so it is my wife, daughter, lab mix and myself.

When doing long trips I weigh everyone and each bag so I can maximize the remaining weight with fuel.  I even have a scale in my hangar.  Having flown cargo missions I don't fly without first running a W&B.

• Like 1

Years ago, I put the thick windshield on my C myself, with A&P supervision.  It really was not a big deal, and took the better part of a day.  The results were great, and the windshield looked fantastic.  I too went with the solar grey.  Did it decrease noise, I didn't notice a big difference.

I wwnt from factory windlshield to 1/4" 201 windshield on a '68 C.  First thing I noticed was a decrease in noise, which I had not expected so I doubt placebo effect.  I've no clue if the thickness or the curvature makes the difference.

10 hours ago, DXB said:

I wwnt from factory windlshield to 1/4" 201 windshield on a '68 C.  First thing I noticed was a decrease in noise, which I had not expected so I doubt placebo effect.  I've no clue if the thickness or the curvature makes the difference.

I have flown in a 67 F with the original glass and my F with the 201 windshield. The 201 style windshield is definitely more quiet. I think the prop wash beats on the flatter old style F windshield.