West Coast/ East Coast

I was just checking out AWC, no gloating about our weather here - although I do that a lot with family members that don't live in California!

The differences are huge between East and West.  Just wondering if anyone has moved from one side of the country to the other and how

that impacted your flying?

West cost.jpg

I moved from the West Coast to the middle (Denver), and whereas my wife was happy to fly up and down the coast in the predominantly smooth air out there, she won't even get in the Mooney here in Colorado where it's turbulent more often than not. A couple of really rough rides over the last few years did it for her. Our problem here isn't IFR conditions. It's windy and bumpy air! That's why I'm moving the Mooney back to Cali.

• Like 3

Simon,

There are a few of us that fly around the country in their Mooneys.  The way they handle the un expected weather is to have a couple of tools they like to keep sharpened.  Like an instrument rating.

A lot of weather things are local knowledge like icing conditions related to the Great Lakes.  But it doesn't need to be perfect weather all the time to fly a Mooney.

every part of this fine country has some interesting benefits.  California got the good weather.  :)

Try this on for size....  one Mooney pilot flew his M20E non-stop from California to Georgia on one extended tank of fuel.  It didn't require him to move his house.  He just moved his plane one day. Then moved it back...

http://jonathanpaul.org/pdf/NonStop.pdf

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I moved from New York to Texas then North Dakota.   Flying for me was stress and avoid in NY.  Texas was less stress and avoid just be on the ground by 3pm for the afternoon storm.  North Dakota the wind blows and blows and will change direction on landing.

• Like 2

Another advantage a Mooney has against the weather is speed and range. We get some terrible weather here in Texas. Some of the worst of it this last weekend. But the speed and range of the Mooney allows for navigation around weather much of the time here in Texas.

Use your instrument rating to punch through the light stuff and the speed and range to get around and out run the heavy stuff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

I moved from New York to Texas then North Dakota.   Flying for me was stress and avoid in NY.  Texas was less stress and avoid just be on the ground by 3pm for the afternoon storm.  North Dakota the wind blows and blows and will change direction on landing.

my xwind ability really went to pot after leaving ND.

• Like 1

I moved from W to E coast fairly recently:

• The ocean seems to be on the wrong side out here
  • Feels odd to get an IFR clearance to cruise at 3000'
  • In the East ATC thinks I'm joking when I file direct to destination  
  • Prohibited airspace areas are numerous but much smaller than back West
  • Grass runways actually have grass on them here

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

I moved from the West Coast to the middle (Denver), and whereas my wife was happy to fly up and down the coast in the predominantly smooth air out there, she won't even get in the Mooney here in Colorado where it's turbulent more often than not. A couple of really rough rides over the last few years did it for her. Our problem here isn't IFR conditions. It's windy and bumpy air! That's why I'm moving the Mooney back to Cali.

smooth as glass to DRO and back today :)

other than a couple pesky clouds.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Zuffoletto said:

The smooth days we get are definitely nice! Where are you based?

Yeah they're so rare you really appreciate them.

Bjc. Made bjc to dro in 1+12 and back in 1+02

A couple small clouds I should have deviated around really thumped us though. Whispy innocent looking little buggers too. Was an angel flight and she had flown gliders for years so didn't upset her any that I could tell.

Real pretty after the fresh snow. Clouds were starting to build on the return trip.

First time to dro strangely. 

Guy cancelled on taking her back today, I think it's doable right now. Better than forecast imo but that's his comfort level.

Those are tough decisions. I was scheduled to fly a PALS flight from Elmira to Philadelphia today and canceled yesterday morning when the TAFs and MOS were showing winds above 20kts and gusting 25+. Actual winds today at the preferred arrival time were 21G32 at KPNE. Moderate Turbulence Sigmet, LLWS. I had suggested to PALS that someone might be able to take her in the evening after things calmed down. 5pm at KELM 30G39kts. 

I made the right decision (for me) but was 2nd guessing myself till noon today. You really hate letting down someone who needs that ride.