Aux Fuel pump grinding

About 2 weeks into ownership the aux pump made a bearing like grinding noise when priming for start.  I turned off and back on and didnt haven any more trouble with it the last 100ish hours.

Today it was fine priming but it went grindy again during the runup check.  cycling it didnt do anything this time.  Its still pumping fine so I assume the bearings are going bad in it.  I suppose its time for the weldon replacement.  Grumble grumble. 

Just looking for sympathy here ;)

6 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

About 2 weeks into ownership the aux pump made a bearing like grinding noise when priming for start.  I turned off and back on and didnt haven any more trouble with it the last 100ish hours.

Today it was fine priming but it went grindy again during the runup check.  cycling it didnt do anything this time.  Its still pumping fine so I assume the bearings are going bad in it.  I suppose its time for the weldon replacement.  Grumble grumble. 

Just looking for sympathy here ;)

Send it to Aero Motors LLC in Wisconsin, best price on overhauls.

Clarence

8 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Send it to Aero Motors LLC in Wisconsin, best price on overhauls.

Clarence

is that better option than switching to the weldon?  After reading a bunch of threads I probably contributed to the failure in that I run it for prime, take off and landing.  Not to mention there have been plenty of times I forgot to turn it off in cruise...  From now on I think ill stick to just using it to prime.  I dont get much boost above what my engine pump provides anyway.

On the topic of fuel pressue what is normal pressure at idle or cruise for the mechanical pump by itself.  Recently ive been id say 26-29 psi which the other day my CFI mentioned he thought was a little higher than normal.  But we were beating on a hot start so everything was suspect.

Just now, TheTurtle said:

is that better option than switching to the weldon?  After reading a bunch of threads I probably contributed to the failure in that I run it for prime, take off and landing.  Not to mention there have been plenty of times I forgot to turn it off in cruise...  From now on I think ill stick to just using it to prime.  I dont get much boost above what my engine pump provides anyway.

On the topic of fuel pressue what is normal pressure at idle or cruise for the mechanical pump by itself.  Recently ive been id say 26-29 psi which the other day my CFI mentioned he thought was a little higher than normal.  But we were beating on a hot start so everything was suspect.

I would ask them for an opinion on Weldon vs. Dukes, they do both.  The Dukes is around 400$

Clarence

It's cheaper to just overhaul the Duke, the Weldon required extra installation work and parts in some cases, although someone mentioned they just put a compatible model out. You would have to check. Someone else mentioned that after Aeromotors gets done with it it's capable of continuous duty. If you lose your engine fuel pump on takeoff or landing, not having the electric pump on is going to cost you dearly.
  • Like 1

I would not mess around with a fuel pump.  I went with a brand new one from http://www.cjaviation.com/index.html two years ago and 200 hours later still working like day 1.

You don't want to be stuck someplace with no fuel pump.  Think about airline tickets and car rentals and AOG mx.  it is cheaper to go with brand new and piece of mind.

I bought the CJ aviation brand.

Edited by Jim Peace
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 6:59 PM, teejayevans said:

It's cheaper to just overhaul the Duke, the Weldon required extra installation work and parts in some cases, although someone mentioned they just put a compatible model out. You would have to check. Someone else mentioned that after Aeromotors gets done with it it's capable of continuous duty. If you lose your engine fuel pump on takeoff or landing, not having the electric pump on is going to cost you dearly.

I switched to weldon (exact replacement) then had dukes OH and now good for continuous duty. . so now I have spare.

Bill

Wondering why you were using a electric pump for hot start.

1.  Shut down at 1100-1200 RPM

If you forget just put throttle at 1" out.

Hot Start.

1. Don't touch throttle

3. Don't prime

4.  Crank engine till it sputter.

5.  Add mixture to keep running

6. Two handed work throttle and prime till running smooth.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Wondering why you were using a electric pump for hot start.

1.  Shut down at 1100-1200 RPM

If you forget just put throttle at 1" out.

Hot Start.

1. Don't touch throttle

3. Don't prime

4.  Crank engine till it sputter.

5.  Add mixture to keep running

6. Two handed work throttle and prime till running smooth.

my CFI called me Sunday and said "I just beat the hot start problem.  Just dont prime it"

So yea...  now I know.

Just got my weldon rebuilt. It has always been loud, but I thought it was normal. It started tripping the breaker every now and then on final. For some reason it wouldnt do it on the ground or takeoff. Finally, it wouldnt come on at all. Tripped the breaker as soon as it was switched it on. The inner tinker-man in me told me to take it apart and have a look. Bearings on the electric motor.....one was locked up and the other one was on its way. The armature looked brand new other than some dust. The brushes were only about 25% used up. Everything else looked not hardly used at all. I sourced bearings.....4.50 plus tax. It's the same as a high performance skateboard bearing. Rated at 37,000 rpm. Brushes sourced locally would cost about 15 bucks.
Could I have fixed it? Most certainly. What did I do? Sent it in and had them do it. Why? It's that important to mine and the souls on board.
Got it back and they did just what I would've done, except I know that they have the expertise and test equipment to make sure of it working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 4:24 PM, TheTurtle said:

.  From now on I think ill stick to just using it to prime.  I dont get much boost above what my engine pump provides anyway.

You should be running it for takeoff and landing. It serves as a backup for the mechanical pump should the mechanical pump quit during that critical portion of your flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldmooney said:

Have even forgot and let it run on occasion for a 45 minute flight or so.

I have inadvertently left mine running from time to time as well.  It would be nice to have a panel light illuminated when it's running.  B)

• Like 1

1k' checklist to verify the three things...?  

1) Gear up

2) flaps up

3) fuel pump off

The Long Body handles the fuel pump issue automatically.  Unfortunately, it is hard to tell if it is on or not.

I remember forgetting these things.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

1k' checklist to verify the three things...?  

1) Gear up

2) flaps up

3) fuel pump off

The Long Body handles the fuel pump issue automatically.  Unfortunately, it is hard to tell if it is on or not.

I remember forgetting these things.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Except during landing...low boost is switch panel mounted