Mooney, you have a 90 knot overtake on the preceding Cirrus.

David Medders

33 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

And you were going that fast in the airport environment because.....?  Poor SR20 driver was just trying to land....sheesh.

Making assumptions based on a single "generic" radio call is fun, isn't it....  :ph34r::D

Brian

When did you have the humor-ectomy, Brian? Can it be reversed? :P We could crowd-fund the operation! :lol:

I was going that fast in the airport environment because:

1. I can; and
  2. It was a safe, legal, and appropriate speed for the conditions and phase of flight.

Just in case it matters, the tower call was directed to me, by tail number.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Not so unusual at San Carlos where we have many Cessna 150s and 172s doing their circuits and bumps over and over in the pattern, and when I report at a standard reporting point about 6 and a half miles southwest of the airport, and tower tells me I am 70 knots faster than the airplane in front of me, and if I can slow down, I can have a straight in to 30. Had this happen several times in the last few months, and always managed to do so with thanks from the tower folks. I am always in a long descent to that reporting point and so my ground speed, even with the throttle backed off, is quite high. This is one time when speed brakes are really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyFromCB said:

As much as I like the 400, I fairly positive an Acclaim will blow by you. Did they ever make a turbo kit for the 400?

Check the spelling in Yooper Rocketman's post and it will make sense!

Twin turbo 400 against twin turbo Acclaim would be interesting.  Also check out Charlie Horton' supercharged 400 for an interesting read.

Clarence

7 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Clarence:

Yes they can.  Perhaps yours is not so easy to pass, but I have passed more than one.  

Ned,

That's because I maintain yours!

Clarence

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Check the spelling in Yooper Rocketman's post and it will make sense!

Twin turbo 400 against twin turbo Acclaim would be interesting.  Also check out Charlie Horton' supercharged 400 for an interesting read.

Clarence

You obviously (and probably conveniently) forgot my Comanche story.  That wasn't a typo!

Tom

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, David Medders said:

I received this advisory from Addison tower recently, "Mooney, you have a 90 knot overtake on the preceding Cirrus."

I wonder if the Cirrus driver went immediately into therapy or waited for his scheduled appointment!? :lol:

Another fun Mooney flying day....

Yeah it happens a lot especially if I am descending out of the flight levels and have a wind on my tail...250 kts ground speed not uncommon  so if an aircraft is in the pattern at 100 kts their is going to be big speed difference...usually I am talking to approach and they are controlling my altitude not speed.Tower usually sees the speed difference 5 miles out and clears me straight in like they do the turbines.The only time we can brag a bit is if the cirrus is ahead of me ,same altitude and course and the controller calls out the overtake...it's not 90 kts though..more like 20 or 30...

17 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I don't know if Comanchees can be passed by Moonies.

Clarence

Hm lets see Piper advertised 185 kts at 75%....(1964 speeds were inflated  )so down low he would pass a J..probably neck and neck with a Bravo except at altitude,an Acclaim...well Clarence I wouldn't race one for pink slips!

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Yeah it happens a lot especially if I am descending out of the flight levels...

We weren't descending, but we did have an advantage. ;)

While multi-faceted, the joke is mostly about personality types commonly associated with Cirrus.

Having now thrown the yellow log into the boiler, I'll hang on to my hoverboard... :)

4 hours ago, thinwing said:

Hm lets see Piper advertised 185 kts at 75%....(1964 speeds were inflated  )so down low he would pass a J..probably neck and neck with a Bravo except at altitude,an Acclaim...well Clarence I wouldn't race one for pink slips!

Normally aspirated 53 year old Piper versus 53 year old normally aspirated Mooney I'm not too worried.  It took Mooney till 1994 to produce the normally aspirated Ovation which would be closer.  Comparing turbo to non is a nonstarter.

Clarence