Baggage Door Arm / Hinge

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Wait aren’t the hinges like $0.25 worth of stamped steel? If there is this much market demand I’ll have my own hinge assembly pulled off and replicated by the 100’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had a nicer more heavy duty design. 

A company called SUSPA makes small air cylinders.  They have an eyelet on each end.  You would need to find out that length, throw and pressure specs are needed.  The only downside I can think of is that if the door latch ever failed, it would push the door open in flight.  I do not see that happening but an FAA guy would probably think of that question.  A picture is attached.  The one pictures is 7 5/8" center to center with a throw of 3 5/8"  The pressure, even in a worn out one which I have (they loose pressure over about 10 years) would be perfect.

DSC01556.JPG

3 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Wait aren’t the hinges like $0.25 worth of stamped steel? If there is this much market demand I’ll have my own hinge assembly pulled off and replicated by the 100’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right?  I replaced mine when I bought the plane.  The step spring and the hinge were  the cheapest to things ever replaced.  I guess that available part from Mooney Service Centers dried up.  Talking under $10 bucks for each part in 2002.  The replacement does exactly what it needs to do.  Very lite-weight.  Very simple.  My old one balanced and wind nailed me in the head once.  That was enough...

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

3 hours ago, salty said:

He had a nicer more heavy duty design. 

The stock hinge is a "rolled" hinge, yes cheap.  The alternate is an extruded hinge made from 2024T3 you buy it by the inch length from Aircraft Spruce. various widths.  Installation is not for the uninitiated.  Requires match drilling holes using a strap hole duplicator, removal of head liner, etc.  8 hr. for me, but well worth the effort.  If you ever have the baggage door pop open during take off ... first thing that comes to mind is the structural integrity of that "cheap" rolled hinge.  Joe

5 hours ago, "Chocks" said:

@gsxrpilot called me and let me know what was up. I was going to do a bunch of kissing up, but after reading the comments, I'll just kill that.

PM me your order number and address and I'll get a new one sent out right away. 

IMG_0387.mp4

Done. Again. Never wanted kissing up. Just a reply to my emails and pms. Even better maybe the product I sent you money for six months ago? Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to make this transaction easier for you. 

On 4/8/2018 at 11:39 AM, "Chocks" said:

@gsxrpilot called me and let me know what was up. I was going to do a bunch of kissing up, but after reading the comments, I'll just kill that.

PM me your order number and address and I'll get a new one sent out right away. 

IMG_0387.mp4

That’s called doubling down and confirms my previous assessment of character.  Stay classy...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...