Baggage Door Arm / Hinge

Is there any STC's out there for a quality baggage door or access door hinges/arms? I know this topic has been brought up before but the last topic referenced Mountain View Aviation's the "door steward," but when I get on their website they don't offer STC's for Mooneys, only Piper, Cessna, Beech. Anyone have any success with one of their products? If so which one? 

My daughter got her finger smashed after coming back from a short cross country last weekend and I've thrown quite a few cuss words in the direction of that hinge, it seems it can't hold itself in anything other than a light breeze. 

As always, thanks for the info/responses. 

• 2 months later...

I bought a spring from the hardware store and some nylon bushings about the same diameter as the spring ends.  Everything else was scrap from the hangar and aviation grade hardware- also leftovers from the hangar.  Put it in the logbook as a minor alteration with owner produced parts.

I can't get my own video to come up, but evidently others can, so I'll stop trying to edit it!

On 7/19/2017 at 4:24 PM, Andy95W said:

Not taking away anything from @"Chocks", he does real nice work. 

Here is my solution for around 5 bucks:

IMG_1033.MOV

EDIT-  trying to upload video, but I'm not very good at it.

You're not taking anything away from me, I love innovation! That is just pretty damn cool :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'll attach a better photo, then.  The spring is 9” long and 1/2" diameter.  The lower bracket I made out of 1/8” aluminum, and I attached it with the existing screw and one additional sheet metal screw.  The upper bracket I fabricated out of thin stainless sheet.  When I bought the spring at the local hardware store, I got the plastic bushings to fit inside the ends.

The only downside I've encountered is that if you lean way in and happen to bump the spring, the baggage door will drop onto your head.  It only happened to me twice before I learned to be more careful! :huh:

IMG_1512.JPG

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

@"Chocks" shut down his website and the business for a number of reasons, but not the least of which is just how impossible it is to make any money in aviation  ;)

He's still around and if you like, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with him.

I’m not sure what you can do that I haven’t already. I’ve emailed him directly and pmd him on this site while he was still actively posting and got no response. 

We were in direct contact Before I sent payment and we discussed when he’d have it shipped. I gave him about a month before I inquired again and got nothing back. I tried to give him some time before complaining publicly but there’s no excuse at this point. 

Edited by salty

5 minutes ago, salty said:

I’m not sure what you can do that I haven’t already. I’ve emailed him directly and pmd him on this site while he was still actively posting and got no response. 

I can call him up, or wait and smack him on the head when I see him next... which is every week or so.  :D

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2017 at 4:24 PM, Andy95W said:

Not taking away anything from @"Chocks", he does real nice work. 

Here is my solution for around 5 bucks:

IMG_1033.MOV

EDIT-  trying to upload video, but I'm not very good at it.

Sweet, simple, effective and cheap unlike most aviation items.

Way to go I nominate you for the CB of the year award.:D:lol:

Oh not really an award we don't want to spend any money on a plaque or anything.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, salty said:

I guess I’ll try Andy’s solution since I sent money to chocks for one of his last year and can’t get him to reply to me since..... just a warning to others. 

Same thing happened to me.  He took my money and did not send me the part.  His website is down.  Tried calling his number and it is out of service as well.  Live and learn.

• Sad 1

Wait aren’t the hinges like $0.25 worth of stamped steel? If there is this much market demand I’ll have my own hinge assembly pulled off and replicated by the 100’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, Greg Ellis said:

Same thing happened to me.  He took my money and did not send me the part.  His website is down.  Tried calling his number and it is out of service as well.  Live and learn.

Try tweeting Shane @FlyingSchmidt

56 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Try tweeting Shane @FlyingSchmidt

That will magically make him want to do the right thing? I know he got my message here. He chose not to respond. 

Edited by salty