M22 Sighting (x2)

This is more of a gee-wiz thing but I got a kick out of it so I thought I'd post. I picked up my airplane from annual this month and turned the corner and saw an M22 on the ramp. I walked up to it and didn't realize how massive those things are compared to my C model. I kind of expected all Mooney's to be the same dimensions but these things are massive by comparison. Leaving the airport I thought i noticed V-tail on a trailer but looking closer it too was a M22. Two at one airport! I assume used for parts but no one was around and couldn't get a story on why, who, or where they came from. 

Anyway.... I always thought these airplanes were really cool so thought I'd share. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a.thumb.jpg.86aee80b6e5c5effa18450f8e9e3d44b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d.jpg

• Like 9

Maybe the Factory should restart these, with a little updating. Instead of making an introductory model, give all of us another way to Step Up. That will encourage late models to continue filtering down to the rest of us.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Clarence, for a man with your keep-em-flying resources, I would think a M22 would make a fine stablemate for that PA24-400.

Bob,

I would have to open a Mooneyspace fund me page to make that a reality.

Clarence

21 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

When I see photos of Mustangs I always think: bloated, fugly, company killing failure.  That is just me. 

When I think about Mustangs, I think of something that was way ahead of its time, so far that the equipment and market were both not ready.  'course that twin mooney was quite ugly, but I think that would have been a better direction at the time.  Too bad we don't have both as continuing options today.

I think if you were going to have an incredibly rare airplane like that, you would have to have a parts plane...  Looks to me like what this owner is doing.

A guy I work with know a guy who owns one near BWI that I am going to try to get and see/ride in this year.  

I like to look just like Clarence's 400, the cost to operate gives me nightmares.  

• Like 1

I think with a proper powerplant, it would have worked. I think of it like a White Elephant like the Starship 2000A, simply too early for its time. Today, it would have given the Malibu a run for its money.

How many are left? 100? 200? I'm surprised none of the owners are on here. I would LOVE to ride in one.

10 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I think with a proper powerplant, it would have worked. I think of it like a White Elephant like the Starship 2000A, simply too early for its time. Today, it would have given the Malibu a run for its money.

How many are left? 100? 200? I'm surprised none of the owners are on here. I would LOVE to ride in one.

yellow one's been for sale with a spare engine for at least a couple years. Looks nice too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M20F said:

A guy I work with know a guy who owns one near BWI that I am going to try to get and see/ride in this year.  

I like to look just like Clarence's 400, the cost to operate gives me nightmares.  

It's not really as bad as you might think.  It takes a bit more oil during oil changes(15 quarts) one filter, more spark plugs to clean, and obviously more fuel. Compared to other high powered engines it's not bad.

Clarence

On 5/1/2017 at 5:59 PM, M20Doc said:

It's not really as bad as you might think.  It takes a bit more oil during oil changes(15 quarts) one filter, more spark plugs to clean, and obviously more fuel. Compared to other high powered engines it's not bad.

Clarence

I flew a couple pilots over to Bismark N.D. today to pick up a C340 (purchase) and had to wait around while they were flight testing it and fixing pressurization problems.  A couple air ambulance guys were really looking over my Lancair pretty closely so I walked out and talked with them for a while.  They were obviously Comanche guys, as a 260 pulled up and they were all over the poor guy before he could drive away.  We talked afterwards about the different models of Comanches as one of the pilots I flew over has a 260TC.   When I told them I "knew" a guy with a 400 (you, though I haven't met you in person yet), their eyes glossed over!!  It might burn some fuel but the cool factor has some appeal too!

Tom

• Like 1

On May 1, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Raptor05121 said:

There were only about 36 built.  Last I checked, about a year ago, there appeared to be less than a handful flying and maybe one or two that were flying consistently....at least on Flightaware.  There are a few others that could be made airworthy with lots of cash.  I wish I had lots of cash.

I saw a swiss registered M22 being pulled out of a hangar at Fairoaks (UK) a few weeks ago. It looked in very good condition and certainly ready to fly. Stupidly I did not take a picture and only realised how rare a sight it was afterwards.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Its the Labatts Blue expense that will get you. How many cases of Blue does it take to clean and gap all those plugs and crack open 15 quarts of Aeroshell?