Texas Spring 2017 Mooney Fly in Dallas Exec May 20

Yetti

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

our sled is in the avionics shop. no dice

Sorry to hear that. The way the weather is looking, it may not matter. Tell the avionics guys to hurry. We may be looking at next weekend.

Sunday's don't work for us, but if the majority want Sunday, majority rules.  We are planning on being there this Saturday.  The mode of transportation is the only question for us.  The odds of the weather clearing AND my cold clearing by that time are looking slim.  If the following Saturday is also at KRBD we are good with that too.  Hopefully we can actually fly to the fly in by then.

48 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

As of this morning, it appears that the weather forecast might be opening a little for us.  Now if my sinuses would just do the same thing......

I saw that too.  This time of year- weather forecasts are crazy.  I recall at one point looking at the forecast a while back that said 50% thunderstorms every day for the next 10 days. I think we got storms two of those days, and many of the storms were isolated, or widely scattered at best.  I don't fly in thunderstorms, but we have the advantage that here in TX widely scattered storms are generally easy to fly around, coupled with the benefit of a lot of airports if you need to get on the ground.

I'm optimistic I'll be able to fly on Saturday, but then again I'm not coming from as far away as some of you.  It's easy enough for me to have Ambassador stick my bird in a hangar and uber home!

Don and others...what are your thoughts this afternoon? Looks like morning forecast is 2500' and chance of precip. Part of my mission this weekend is getting a puppy to the area for a linking pilot from Austin to take the rest of the way, so I plan to come south one day or the other. If he can't fly up on Saturday, then I have a logistical challenge to find a friendly place for a cute puppy for an evening. (Any volunteers to help? default_smile.png ) I presume the next pilot could get her on Sunday.

a50362d52d5312d61425eb6adc6b0793.jpgdd4c2057435332082a7e6c7b2474b076.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Don and others...what are your thoughts this afternoon? Looks like morning forecast is 2500' and chance of precip. Part of my mission this weekend is getting a puppy to the area for a linking pilot from Austin to take the rest of the way, so I plan to come south one day or the other. If he can't fly up on Saturday, then I have a logistical challenge to find a friendly place for a cute puppy for an evening. (Any volunteers to help? default_smile.png ) I presume the next pilot could get her on Sunday.

a50362d52d5312d61425eb6adc6b0793.jpgdd4c2057435332082a7e6c7b2474b076.jpg

Absolutely adorable!

What is it?  Only a yankee and a fool predict Texas weather.   There is a trough over Texas today that will get sucked up by a Front that is coming from the NW.   Many of these fronts the tail of them will end in middle of Texas so Dallas will get hammered and Houston will be fine.  Also since it is late season they are usually less energy and have problems pushing offshore so they can stall.  How much energy and how the timing works out is anyone's question.

I'm a native Texan and hope I'm not seen as a Yankee!! :P. The pup is a golden retriever mix, and very sweet. Reportedly around 14 weeks, and about 20 lbs.

This is a tough time of year for scheduling GA travel. Fortunately we didn't have the tornado armageddon that was predicted yesterday.

It looks like it may work, but make your own decision, and don't take undue risk. I would rather see you next time than have anyone get into trouble.

Edited by DonMuncy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

I'm a native Texan and hope I'm not seen as a Yankee!! :P. The pup is a golden retriever mix, and very sweet. Reportedly around 14 weeks, and about 20 lbs.

This is a tough time of year for scheduling GA travel. Fortunately we didn't have the tornado armageddon that was predicted yesterday.

I didn't have the good fortune of being born here but I got here as fast as I could. I guess that makes me Texan by choice. They told me that a yankee was anyone north of the red river... I guess that makes you a yankee by choice!!!

*** they called my wife a Yankee too- from Wyoming- wasn't a state until after the civil war.  I'm pretty sure that says a lot about "their" definitions, but I'm sticking with that label for Scott ;)

• Like 1

Actually that pic was from her bonanza ride down to Wichita yesterday... But she's a great puppy on her way to a new home, just taking an adventure along the way.

Would love to help if possible but unsure about logistics/plans. I was supposed to be in the gulf tomorrow but we're blown out. Considering trip to mingle with the group but weather looks marginal between Houston and Dallas. Where's the pup headed, and who gets the privilege of transporting her next? She'd definitely be treated like a
Princess at our house. PM me if you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably a good decision. It doesn't look terrible but not VFR for sure. Will likely be some convectivity in the afternoon. If meeting a bunch of crusty old Mooniacs is my only incentive I'll likely stay closer to home. I may buzz over to annoy the salesmen at the Aviation Expo (http://texasaircraftexpo.com).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2