How to jump start my plane?

I used to have to jump start a 172 that I rented a long time ago, but I can't remember every step. I think you don't turn on the master, till after it is running but again I don't remember for sure. What is the procedure with the Shower of Sparks? I have a 77' 14v 201.

Looking at the logs, my Gill is going to be 5 this June. Much older that I would have guess from reading about them. It still starts great I have a high torque starter and Dugosh said it was in great shape during the annual this March. So I'm not ready to switch it out for a Conncord right this moment. But I'm planning on buying one of these jumper cables for down the road that I can have for years and years. But I am getting worried about the battery and would like to be prepared in case it does strand me. And have to jump start it and don't do something to start an electrical fire.

Or should I not jump start a Mooney?

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/plugnjump.php?recfer=13229

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/jumpercables.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are hand propping, there is a procedure with the shower of sparks, but generally it is a bad idea.....my POH simply says "not recommended".

If you are talking about using an external 12V source, the thing you have to worry about is the rapid re-charging of your weak battery.  There are ways around this, but the best thing to do is properly re-charge your battery and do a normal start.

Does you aircraft have the 12V power plug, or are you contemplating jumper cables?

• Like 1

It is foolish to jump a dead battery and then take off with a dead battery. The trick is to notice the battery is already too weak to even use the starter, then get an APU to start up. But then don't takeoff  until you see the charging rate drop back off to near normal charging rates after waiting several minutes of letting it charge battery and you're seeing that the battery is taking the charge. Personally I'll only even do this when I am in the middle of no where and I just want to get home. This is much harder on both the alternator and the battery than just putting a conventional charger on the battery so if all possible just seek services on the field and spend the night if needed while you get a proper charge. Especially never attempt to take off with a weak battery when you know you'll be flying in the dark. Its a set up to burn out a alternator that is also getting weak leading to dead battery in the air very quickly.

• Like 4

If you are hand propping, there is a procedure with the shower of sparks, but generally it is a bad idea.....my POH simply says "not recommended".
If you are talking about using an external 12V source, the thing you have to worry about is the rapid re-charging of your weak battery.  There are ways around this, but the best thing to do is properly re-charge your battery and do a normal start.
Does you aircraft have the 12V power plug, or are you contemplating jumper cables?

I do have an external 12v plug and would use an adaptor from the power source. I wouldn't hand prop it. And it would just be a jump to get home not to start or continue a trip.

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

I do have an external 12v plug and would use an adaptor from the power source. I wouldn't hand prop it. And it would just be a jump to get home not to start or continue a trip.

It should start using POH procedures.  You're just substituting an external source for the aircraft's battery.

However, the issue of damaging your battery is still a factor.  As Kortopates pointed out, you don't want to find out your battery is fried in the dark, or IMC.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree that it is a patch at best. I just hate to switch out the battery just because it's an old Gill even though everything says it's running strong. And figured some knowledge in my tool box on how to jump start the plane was a good idea.

• Like 1

If your using the plug in type with an APU, just plug it in and start the plane, then unplug it after a few minutes, using jumper cables you first connect the + leads then - leads, reverse for removal - leads then + leads. you can also use the jump vehicles charging system to partially charge the dead battery, just let it idle for a while before staring the aircraft 

If your using the plug in type with an APU, just plug it in and start the plane, then unplug it after a few minutes, using jumper cables you first connect the + leads then - leads, reverse for removal - leads then + leads. you can also use the jump vehicles charging system to partially charge the dead battery, just let it idle for a while before staring the aircraft 

Do I start the plane normal or do I leave the master off till it is running?

You can't energize the starter without the master on.

Remember the battery is not just for starting. The battery is un-airworthy when its charge capacity has dropped below 50% of its rated capacity. That's much more juice than using the starter.

• Like 1

I replaced my sealed concord battery after 5 years as preventative maintenance.  I was not concerned with getting every bit of life out of it, and too often I am the guy who gets the short end of the Weibull curve.  For the cost of the battery over 5 years, I considered it cheap insurance to avoid it failing on some hot day in the SoCal desert or cold day departing Mammoth.  I also timed the purchase for when there was a good airshow price, since I could buy at my leisure.  Just being stranded once, offsets an extra year or two of battery life, in my opinion.  

@kortopates  Good advice on watching for a stable charging system and battery restoring its charge before launching.  I had not though about it as an airworthiness item, either.

I would think that any time you do not know why the battery died, you should be extra cautious about taking off with it, even when charged up.  If it was the interior lights left on over the weekend, then you at least know the cause.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

Yeah I agree that it is a patch at best. I just hate to switch out the battery just because it's an old Gill even though everything says it's running strong. And figured some knowledge in my tool box on how to jump start the plane was a good idea.

Why don't you take the battery to an auto parts outlet and load test it....start with 50 amps,than dial up to 70/100/150 then stop..look for voltage drop...now if the results of that ease your battery anxiety. Go with it..lets talk about how to jump...fabricate your cable from a set of auto jumpers (I assume you will be jumping from someone's truck)and cut off a set of clamps..attach a Cessna style app plug remembering to +shunt to the little pin.If you are faced with a dead battery ,connect to a running car and than do nothing for 10 min...than have car driver idle up to 2500/3000 rpm...5 min..now energize the master and with car guy running his moter up ,proceed to start.Than disconnect jump first and than energies your alternator...look for positive rate 1/2 amp meter swing...As others have  this is dire emerg stuff,strictly good weather ,vfr ,DAY! Only fly home 

• Like 1

Although I have a pair of jumper cables that will plug into the big connector on the plane, I rarely carry them with me.

The usual scenario is, you forget to turn off the master and when you get back to your plane it is dead :huh:. If you have a 24 volt airplane you better hope you are at a big airport. Those electric tug things they pick up your front wheel with will jump your plane! If you have a 12 volt system you can just jump it like a car. Take off the side panel and put the Red wire on the lug on the master relay and the other one on the ground wire. You should have someone help you who can hold the jumper cables so you don't burn holes in your battery box. Tie down the tail first because after you get it running you will have to get out and put the plane back together with the engine running. Then get your helper to unhook you so you can leave.

The advice above is good, but I've done this procedure more times than I care to admit. It never seemed to have an adverse effect on my battery.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but it is possible.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Let me blab on about my most interesting dead battery.In 1987 I bought a 68 lake amphibian...same Mooney 180 hp carb c model lycoming except facing backward of course with a special rotation hartzell prop.I paid 23 k cash for the bird after its owner moved to Ca from Juneau AK.No pre buy...I did it my self...I knew back than that a new lycoming install was good enough for me and more exploration would have queered a great deal.Owner was happy  but nervous.....I mean I had it in cash and the sight of those 100 s stack ..we had a deal.Remember ..this was before 10 k cash withdrawal fed reporting.Think about it...I had worked my tail off and had cash in the bank..little at a time...I am not a drug dealer nor do I sale illegal arms or in a rico mandated federal gang sanctions.....Sorrry about that  , freedom rant over...I flew that lake off and basically had an orgasim on the first Sierra lake landing when I realized what this bird was capable off.Next weekend ,me and my Girlfriend fly up to 4500 agl lake with a very pretty fine sand beach....no body arround within 30 miles ,she pops out and basically does the Julie Andrews "sound of music" song and dance while preparing  for her skinny dip.Well of course ,she looked awesome!I am ..wahoo all for this and hop out of the lake ,but of course forget to turn master off....continued

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

Let me blab on about my most interesting dead battery.In 1987 I bought a 68 lake amphibian...same Mooney 180 hp carb c model lycoming except facing backward of course with a special rotation hartzell prop.I paid 23 k cash for the bird after its owner moved to Ca from Juneau AK.No pre buy...I did it my self...I knew back than that a new lycoming install was good enough for me and more exploration would have queered a great deal.Owner was happy  but nervous.....I mean I had it in cash and the sight of those 100 s stack ..we had a deal.Remember ..this was before 10 k cash withdrawal fed reporting.Think about it...I had worked my tail off and had cash in the bank..little at a time...I am not a drug dealer nor do I sale illegal arms or in a rico mandated federal gang sanctions.....Sorrry about that  , freedom rant over...I flew that lake off and basically had an orgasim on the first Sierra lake landing when I realized what this bird was capable off.Next weekend ,me and my Girlfriend fly up to 4500 agl lake with a very pretty fine sand beach....no body arround within 30 miles ,she pops out and basically does the Julie Andrews "sound of music" song and dance while preparing  for her skinny dip.Well of course ,she looked awesome!I am ..wahoo all for this and hop out of the lake ,but of course forget to turn master off....continued

I can't wait....

lets see, a boat towed you to. The marina?

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Old Gill new Gill any Gill I would replace it with a new Concord. When we still had the Gill it started to get weak and got me started carrying a small charger and a 50 foot extension cord. Had a couple times where we found the use of a 120 outlet and about a half hour charge got us going. Since the Concord no problems even though Snoopy has been much less active this winter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Starter won't work with the master OFF, just make sure everything electrical that you can turn off is off before flipping the master ON, 

7 hours ago, kortopates said:

You can't energize the starter without the master on.

These statements are not necessarily true.  Many external starting adapters (Cessna especially springs to mind) will bypass the master relay to energize the aircraft electrical system- including the starter relay- in order to protect both the external power system and the battery.

Once the engine is running, you disconnect the external power and turn on the master switch (and alternator switch, if separate) in order to start charging the battery.

• Like 1

Old Gill new Gill any Gill I would replace it with a new Concord. When we still had the Gill it started to get weak and got me started carrying a small charger and a 50 foot extension cord. Had a couple times where we found the use of a 120 outlet and about a half hour charge got us going. Since the Concord no problems even though Snoopy has been much less active this winter.

I really do want a concord but then seeing it's 2.5 pounds heavier I don't know if I want to lose that ul:)

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I really do want a concord but then seeing it's 2.5 pounds heavier I don't know if I want to lose that ul:)

The Concorde is not heavier. Gill's stated weight is empty, by the time you add the acid it's the same weight as the Concorde.

• Like 1