Basic Med Exam

co2bruce

Spoke to the clinic I use for all minor medical issues and I emailed the Basic Med package to them. They said they would b e happy to provide this exam for us. They are open 7 days a week and have evening hours every weekday. They ask to please call first to make sure Dr is in, they have a medical practitioner but he can't legally sign the form. They are in Coral Springs so they serve northern Broward County and southern Palm Beach

Amanda Purcell 
Office Manager  
Walking Urgent Care, Inc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My doc would have I think, but I already got the 3rd class (good for two years, yahoo!).  In discussing the PSA tests (I didn't have it done) he made inquiry, I informed him that fluid flow in my southern hemisphere was unimpeded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steingar said:

My doc would have I think, but I already got the 3rd class (good for two years, yahoo!).  In discussing the PSA tests (I didn't have it done) he made inquiry, I informed him that fluid flow in my southern hemisphere was unimpeded.

Wrong attitude my friend. Unimpeded doesn't mean there aren't nasty cells hanging around. Flow means absolutely nothing and you could be peeing like a horse while walking around with stage three prostate cancer.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Wrong attitude my friend. Unimpeded doesn't mean there aren't nasty cells hanging around. Flow means absolutely nothing and you could be peeing like a horse while walking around with stage three prostate cancer.

You are of course correct.  That said, the PSA is sufficiently error prone that I have little confidence in its indications.  I would be more likely to let the doc do the old digital exam were I really concerned about it, which I'm not.  Still a little young for that particular worry.

Just now, steingar said:

You are of course correct.  That said, the PSA is sufficiently error prone that I have little confidence in its indications.  I would be more likely to let the doc do the old digital exam were I really concerned about it, which I'm not.  Still a little young for that particular worry.

The DRE is where it's at! :D

Just now, steingar said:

Your level of enthusiasm for that particular examination is a bit troubling.  There are folks who do that sort of thing for fun, you know.

Well it's like this. After my (negative) biopsy a few years ago, I don't mind taking the ten seconds that's required and hearing my doc say "nothing, see you next year".

PSA is one indicator, DRE is another, and seemingly one flyboy enjoys ;). But neither one is very good.

There are lots of guys coming down with PCa in their early 50's, so I suggest not being complacent about it. The earlier it's caught the better, and there are far too many 'what-me-worry' GP's and old school urologists out there, not doing us any favors.

Better than a basic PSA blood test, insist on a new PNI blood test, that yields PSA, free PSA, a marker for PCa activity and a formula to provide a score of the likelihood of a biopsy finding PCa (prostate cancer). If your doc refuses, or doesn't know what it is...find a new doc.

Almost 300,000 cases of PCa are discovered every year, and almost 28,000 men die of it every year. And unlike most engine problems, there are usually no symptoms until it's very serious. The number of us getting bad news in our 50's is increasing exponentially.

Good luck with thinking/wishing all is well down there......

• Like 2

Hey guys, this is important. Statistics are not the point here. If you are the one with Prostrate Cancer it doesn't matter that others don't. My AME stressed this to me every year, and I did take the PSA tests every year as a part of my non-aviation annual physical. Over a ten year period I plotted my scores graphically, and while the results were always in the "normal" band, there was a very distinct, and accelerating upward trend in the graph. I had a urologist perform a biopsy, and he found high Gleason scores that clearly indicated that treatment was necessary. I felt fine, but the results were real. I underwent months of radiation treatment that damaged other organs (old style treatment), and ultimately left me cancer free. During the radiation treatments I stopped flying, and when they were complete, I gave all the results to my AME, who sent them on to the FAA. For about seven years I sent the FAA "proof" that the cancer was "dead", was issued a Special Issuance, and finally the FAA removed the SI, and now I have a non-restricted license. Been cancer free now for well more than a decade and a half. I sincerely recommend having serious discussions with your physician about testing for PC. It can kill you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am not making light of it. As some here know I have battled Lymphoma twice over the last 20 years. Caught early (any type of cancer) there is a much better chance of positive results. Both times, after very difficult treatment, I came back, got a special issuance and I'm still flying. Get thoroughly checked every year!

Never give up

• Like 3

Maybe this has already been posted, but based on an article in the July 2017 issue of IFR, unless the holder of a Basic Med is also operating as PIC, the Basic Med is not valid for use as Safety Pilot.  Somewhat surprised by this position.

21 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Maybe this has already been posted, but based on an article in the July 2017 issue of IFR, unless the holder of a Basic Med is also operating as PIC, the Basic Med is not valid for use as Safety Pilot.  Somewhat surprised by this position.

Yeah, it's been discussed since it first came out.

It's one of a few anomalies created by Congress. Probably wasn't intentional, but it's there. The FAA didn't really write this reg. It added details like the form of the BasicMed physical, but, except for some details, it's taken pretty much verbatim from what Congress wrote. This is the very firs line in the statute (with my emphasis):

Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue or revise regulations to ensure that an individual may operate as pilot in command of a covered aircraft if— 

Essentially, the way it was written, BasicMed isn't a replacement for the 3rd Class certificate. It's an option for pilots acting as PIC in certain operations. What some don't realize is it also applies to CFIs in the same way. If it's an operation in which a CFI must have a medical certificate (such as instrument training is the best example), the CFI must be acting as PIC if under BasicMed; if not, she's needs a Third Class.

• Like 1