Aspen and Brittain

1 hour ago, slowflyin said:

Good Afternoon Gents,

Anyone have any info regarding an Aspen Pro heading bug driving the Brittain AP?  

thanks,

joe

Joe -- the Brittain AP is not on the list of approved autopilots: https://www.aspenavionics.com/support/evolution-approvals/

That said, contact their technical support group and ask if they have any information that may allow a field approval. You are not asking it to do full autopilot functionality and the heading bug control may be doable. Phone (US): 1 (888) 992-7736

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Joe -- the Brittain AP is not on the list of approved autopilots: https://www.aspenavionics.com/support/evolution-approvals/

That said, contact their technical support group and ask if they have any information that may allow a field approval. You are not asking it to do full autopilot functionality and the heading bug control may be doable. Phone (US): 1 (888) 992-7736

Thanks!  I'll give them a ring.

The Brittain AutoPilots, like many pre-GPSS autopilots, work by interpreting the LEFT/RIGHT deviations given by a radio destined for a CDI. If you have a pinout diagram for it, it would be very easy to point out if it can or can't.

Simply, if the Aspen can drive an external CDI, it can drive the Brittain.

Update- 

I understand it can drive the AP just wasn't sure it was legal. Like Marauder, I had reviewed the STC and did not see Brittain listed but I knew folks were running this pair on both this site and Beechtalk.

Per, Marauder's suggestion I rang up Mike (NE Sales for Aspen) and he advised the wording in their paperwork allowed for it without a field approval.  I've got a call into my installer for some feedback.  thanks to all!

• Like 1

I do have the Aspen together with the Brittain Autopilot in my Mooney. Everything works fine: Instead of the old heading bug of  the DG, now the Aspen drives the Autopilot. You can call Brittain and they will send you a wiring diagram. 

From the Aspen ACU, 4 wires are connected to the Brittain. 2 of the wires are connected via a very small 10k:10k transformer. My Aspen is set to HSI Type 1 for the output.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bunti said:

I do have the Aspen together with the Brittain Autopilot in my Mooney. Everything works fine: Instead of the old heading bug of  the DG, now the Aspen drives the Autopilot. You can call Brittain and they will send you a wiring diagram. 

From the Aspen ACU, 4 wires are connected to the Brittain. 2 of the wires are connected via a very small 10k:10k transformer. My Aspen is set to HSI Type 1 for the output.

Thanks!

Is the transformer external or hard wired in the DG gain box? I talked to jerry and he said something needs to be soldered on the board to convert digital to analog?? Or are you using the porcine?

Is the transformer external or hard wired in the DG gain box? I talked to jerry and he said something needs to be soldered on the board to convert digital to analog?? Or are you using the porcine?

Aspen uses a digital to analog converter either an ACU box or the EA 100 to integrate from their digital signal to an analog autopilot. I suspect this is what is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Aspen uses a digital to analog converter either an ACU box or the EA 100 to integrate from their digital signal to an analog autopilot. I suspect this is what is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, ok, so it sounds like it is accomplishing the same thing two different ways. Either with an external ACU box or by modifying the brittain DG gain box. ;)

The ACU is part of my Aspen. It came with the Aspen unit. It is always needed, if you connect any non digital equipment to the Aspen: A conventional VOR, DME or ADF receiver or a non digital autopilot or Flightdirector. The small transformer is mounted externally  and connects on one side Signal COM and Datum EXT of the Aspen ACU with pins D and B (Oscillator to Gyro) from the Brittain DG Adapter on the other side. Pins A and E of the DG-Adapter are connected directly to HDG COM and HDG Datum of the ACU.

This works only, if you have the Brittain DG Adapter! This is the box which connects normally a directional gyro with heading-bug to the Brittain-Autopilot-System. To use GPSS-steering or the HDG mode of the Aspen, you have to turn the DG Adapter switch to on. Aspen then sends a heading signal to keep the Brittain on track, even for an GPS approach.  For finetuning of your system, on the Brittain DG Adapter you can adjust the DG-gain. Also you can adjust the GPSS-steering Bias in the Aspen setup.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

Hi slowflyin, 

Did you achieve any results by hockin' up your Brittain Ap to an Aspen, because I have to upgrade my Mooney too. Garmin is with GFC 500 is out of reach, so I want to do the same thing. I only have the PC from Brittain. Maybe somebody knows what I do need on top from Brittain. The Aspen and the ACU I understood that this is a must have.  Cheers

Marc

27 minutes ago, Marc GER said:

Hi slowflyin, 

Did you achieve any results by hockin' up your Brittain Ap to an Aspen, because I have to upgrade my Mooney too. Garmin is with GFC 500 is out of reach, so I want to do the same thing. I only have the PC from Brittain. Maybe somebody knows what I do need on top from Brittain. The Aspen and the ACU I understood that this is a must have.  Cheers

Marc

This original post was from over 5 years ago. @slowflyin has since moved on to a different Mooney, an M20M, with a more modern panel.