Neat VTOL still conceptual

Why do so many people say, "it's electric, so zero emissions." Guess electricity generation is free, requires no fuel and creates zero emissions, too, and there are no problems or losses with transmission to your home or hangar . . .

This plane, though, is a cool prototype, and I certainly hope if they ever sell one that it has wheels--I'd hate to make an emergency landing on those poky, stick-things hanging down on the bottom.

My biggest problems with electric vehicles are simple:  very limited range, and very slow charging, both of which make long trips impossible. 300 km range may be an "improvement" over others, I don't know, but no thanks . . . Come 4th or 5th gen, these may have been figured out, or else I'll be too old to worry about going much further than its 157 nm no-reserve range with new batteries.

Let's all live in an emission-free, all-electric everything world. Oh, except for all of the new power plants that we will nees, cause wind and solar won't make what we need nkw, much less if everything is electric, and the green wackos are doing their best to get rid of nuclear power. What's left besides coil, oil and gas to make electricity  (and huge emissjons)? Hmmmmm . . . . .

• Like 1

On 2017-04-28 at 10:17 AM, Hank said:

. What's left besides coil, oil and gas to make electricity  (and huge emissjons)? Hmmmmm . . . . .

Such a negative view.  I heard that Elon Musk just bought a previously unpublished paper by L Ron Hubbard regarding telekinesis.

Elon can use his "almost ready" for roll-out FCP (Flatulence Capture and Storage) technology.  He's going to use currently wasted Unicorn farts that will be transmogrified directly into electricity and sent via telekinesis to Teslas without the expense of transmission lines.

The only delay is waiting for some more government grants and tax credits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRM said:

EE's have been saying that for years ;)

But so far, us MEs have been keeping the rest of us running right!  :lol:

I'm just tired of the Greenies shouting "it's electric, there are no emissions" all the time. They don't realize that the world's electric generation industry creates LOTS OF EMISSIONS! The highest capacity emission-free electric generators are nuclear, and they don't want them, either. Wind and solar can only provide a fraction of our current usage; increase demand via electric everything, and then nobody will have anything that works, we'll just revert to the stone age with firearms.

I'll happily drive and fly electric when the range gets up to something usable, and recharge times approach the 5-10 minutes I spend filling my gas tank. Until then, the early adopters can have it, just stop all the bragging about it and complaining about the rest of us . . . .

• Like 1