Gascolator. What am I doing with it?

DMJones

I did a little searching, and I know I'm supposed to be pulling it and dumping gas on the ramp...

But seriously, what is it really doing for me?  I usually fly alone, and so haven't been catching the results.  My A&P tells me to look for water beads or sediment (haven't found either).  I sump each tank every leg (I have long range, so four sumps) and occasionally find a little dirt, but no water.  I'm hangared full-time.

So, what is the purpose of draining the gascolator?  Happy to do it, I just like to know what/why I'm doing things...

Sorry if this has bee discussed in here previously, but I couldn't find it.  I have a 1984 K 231, if that makes a difference.

yes, go read that thread through.  you can't just go around dumping fuel on the ground anymore, even in small quantities.  to give you an example, an oil spill that creates a sheen on the water is an event that must be reported.  even a single drop does that.  don't try sump it either (see that other thread), it is subject to seizing open or being damaged by the sump stick, creating a leak.

i just don't use mine anymore.  if i found water in a wing sump i would drain the gascolator (into a container, the fluid to be properly disposed of), but not as a matter of routine.

The gascollator holds a fixed volume of heavier than fuel debris or water.  The engine won't be affected until you exceed that. At annual you open it and inspect it. Pretty common to find pieces of sealant especially if you've patched tanks recently. 

After the collator you have the secret filter (just after the electric pump) and the final filter which is also checked at annual. 

-Robert

55 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Pretty common to find pieces of sealant especially if you've patched tanks recently

No it isn't unless the tanks were not patched or resealed properly. If you are finding pieces of sealant, it is a sign. Pay attention to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

No it isn't unless the tanks were not patched or resealed properly. If you are finding pieces of sealant, it is a sign. Pay attention to it.

Based on his other posts, I think he considers patching a tank routine maintenance...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Based on his other posts, I think he considers patching a tank routine maintenance...

Yes, pretty common to do a small patch every few years. Inexpensive and not difficult. Described in your Mooney Maintenance Manual.

25 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Its easy to miss. They're using barely visible. You might need a jewelers glass to see it but I have seen it.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1