Upgrade path from g1000 to NXI

rpcc

Is this something that Mooney and Garmin are working on?  There's lots of talk hear about g1000 owners being locked into an aging platform - a very nice platform, but its getting older.  Is this the upgrade path?

Garmin link - https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/announcement-garmin-introduces-g1000-nxi-next-generation-integrated-flight-deck/

Upgrade language - 

Simple path to upgrade or transition from G1000 to G1000 NXi for King Air aircraft

For new installations, the G1000 NXi integrated flight deck is estimated to provide a weight savings of 250 pounds or more in King Air aircraft, allowing additional baggage, passenger and/or fuel load flexibility. New G1000 NXi installations also utilize a new, fully integrated and lightweight air data and attitude heading reference system (ADAHRS), streamlining the upgrade process. King Air owners and operators with an existing G1000 integrated flight deck can easily upgrade to the G1000 NXi with minimal aircraft down time and disruption of the panel as the displays preserve the same footprint and connector so panel modifications are not required.

The FAA has granted STC approval for the G1000 NXi integrated flight deck in the King Air 200 series aircraft and approval for the King Air 300/350 is expected within the coming weeks, which will be available in February from select Garmin Authorized Dealers. New G1000 NXi installations and display upgrades all come with a two-year warranty, which is supported by Garmin’s award-winning avionics product support team. For additional information regarding the G1000 NXi upgrade for the King Air, contact Scott 

Unfortunately it would be up to Mooney since they own the G1000 STC, not Garmin. Regarding the blurb above, Garmin developed and owns the King Air STC, so it is easy for them to update and sell... GX Mooney owners need to wait for Mooney to offer the upgrade, and judging on the wait for WAAS I wouldn't expect anything quickly.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

If they do the upgrade, knowing Garmin, it is going to be off-the-charts expensive. I would love to see them upgrade the GIA units in the G1000.  The 650/750 units are clearly superior. 

Now you have me curious :)

In what way superior? I assume that both must give the same accuracy as TSOs WAAS units, no?

User interface is much better in the 750.  Flight planning is better because you can enter Victor airways in 750/650, and the exit points are built in. Touch screen also makes entry easier for everything.  Nothing wrong with the G1000, but I am sure that the NXI interface is a big improvement.   

• Like 1

Just as a side note: For someone (like me) who is pondering the G500 upgrade from steam -- this is a "funny" (and perhaps eye-opening) discussion: If I go all glass I will immediately be "last generation". Not something I am excited about.

I sometimes think that the way to go is to keep your panel as it came and however it came, and invest in the best portable enhancements out there, so something based on Ipad etc. Frankly, I have all the moving maps I want in my cockpit (on an Ipad, portable Garmin 696). I guess victor airways driving the autopilot would be nice, but in practice I rarely fly them, and the arrivals are all in my G5/430W.

Just a thought, off-topic...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Portables are of limited use for IFR.

Actually, my current setup is based on steam gages, but flies GPS steering and approaches (WAAS certified Garmin 5/430; KFC 225 Autopilot). The handhelds are for georeferenced charts, weather, and so on, i.e., aids to know or augment situational awareness and awareness of weather.

Anyway, didn't want to hijack this thread. I am actually planning to upgrade to G500 and other pieces this year, but really, my main consideration is because I want to have an airplane with modern avionics, and also, because at current prices that installation adds almost as much value to the aircraft as the cost of installation...

To upgrade to the NXi would undoubtedly require swapping out the STEC-55x A/P if you have one, which I do. Presumably if you've already got the GFC700 the path would be easier, but has been noted, I doubt that Mooney is spending too much time worrying about that right now.  The NXi does have some cool features, but amazingly, it doesn't make the engine purr any more nicely and it doesn't change the way GPS navigation works.  I suspect it would never be economical to upgrade an existing G1000 plane but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

8 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

To upgrade to the NXi would undoubtedly require swapping out the STEC-55x A/P if you have one, which I do. Presumably if you've already got the GFC700 the path would be easier, but has been noted, I doubt that Mooney is spending too much time worrying about that right now.  The NXi does have some cool features, but amazingly, it doesn't make the engine purr any more nicely and it doesn't change the way GPS navigation works.  I suspect it would never be economical to upgrade an existing G1000 plane but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

What is the current cost of upgrading from STEC to GFC700?

Welcome aboard Joshua.

Stand by for somebody in the know with an answer.

Around here, there is always somebody...

Of course, it helps if they were to know what plane you would need the upgrade to actually be in.  Sometimes STCs are written in a funny way to accidently exclude an airframe or two...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

As to the cost of upgrading from STEC to GFC700, when Mooney had such a path available it was fairly obscene, to the tune of $60K or so as I recall (which included the WAAS upgrade). I never went through it, but a few did. There may have been some discounts early on. Adding WAAS to the STEC's now is a reasonable $25K "all-in" including shop time, so several of us have taken that route and it's working well.

I have received a private message from a fellow MSpacer who tells me that he's had talks with Garmin engineers, and the software in the NXi *should* support the STEC, so perhaps I was wrong on that statement. But still, I don't see Mooney putting in any serious amount of time on this upgrade process right now. They need to sell new airplanes to get the cash flow going again.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:02 PM, Robert C. said:

Thanks for the clarification. I read you too literally and assumed you meant a difference in the GPS units. Can do v airways on the G1000 as Russ wrote, but am sure the interface is simpler :)

Is the States Map in your signature G1000 sized as well? ;)

27 minutes ago, Robert C. said:

That map drives me nuts.....been trying to get it right sized, but without much luck. Thought I had deleted it now. Maybe not for past posts?

Delete the map from your signature. Then go back to the site where you got it, recreate it, and then select one of the smaller map sizes from the menu at the bottom.

• 3 months later...

Piper has begun to gauge interest in G1000 to 1000 NXi upgrades.   They just sent out a survey to PA46 owners.   I've have no knowledge of Mooney's plans, but I thought the information in the introduction was interesting.   Looks like equipment cost of around 60k plus installation.

Piper MMOPA G1000 NXi Survey.pdf

Brad

9 minutes ago, BradB said:

Piper has begun to gauge interest in G1000 to 1000 NXi upgrades.   They just sent out a survey to PA46 owners.   I've have no knowledge of Mooney's plans, but I thought the information in the introduction was interesting.   Looks like equipment cost of around 60k plus installation.

Piper MMOPA G1000 NXi Survey.pdf

Brad

Thanks Brad,

Just sent this to a friend with a G1000 PA-46.

• 4 weeks later...

I use to have a G600, GTN750 and GTN650 in a beautiful 1998 J model Mooney.   With the new aircraft purchase, I feel like I've gone back in time using the G1000.  The GTN's are a superior product in a lot of ways.  I really miss the GTN's.  I'd certainly consider the NXi upgrade if it becomes available at some point in the future.  At least it would be a step in the right direction, even if it's not touchscreen, which I wish it was.