Uber/VTOL/Mooney- wow.

MB65E

Well, this may be the strangest idea Mooney Has come up with. They were asked to partner on a vTol project with Uber!!

I would think giving everyone a J model or even remaking the C would be cheaper than a VTOL partnership. 

https://www.verticalmag.com/news/uber-launch-electric-vtol-aircraft-dallas-dubai/?utm_source=vertical-daily-news-top-story&utm_campaign=vertical-daily-news&utm_medium=email&utm_term=top-story&utm_content=V1

-Matt

image.png

I'm not sure partnering with Carter is a great idea either....to my knowledge they haven't completed anything in their history, and have existed on loans and grants from cities and the government. Hopefully they really bring something to the table and take money from Uber and not Mooney...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I really think we all are mis-interpreting the Chinese interest in Mooney. But that's understandable as it's doubtful any of us are Chinese billionaires. I don't believe they have interest in, or need to make any profit from Mooney. There are laws that mandate investment in certain industries and verticals for the Chinese in various parts of China. Aviation is one of those verticals where the Chinese government mandates investment for business in a certain region of China. The young lady who owns Mooney doesn't need Mooney to make any money, and Mooney isn't big enough to ruin her financial empire. So she can, if she chooses, run it at a loss, but maintain it enough to show she's in the aviation industry and engaged in R&D. 

I'm speculating here as well... but I am involved in a fair amount of business in China.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I really think we all are mis-interpreting the Chinese interest in Mooney. But that's understandable as it's doubtful any of us are Chinese billionaires. I don't believe they have interest in, or need to make any profit from Mooney. There are laws that mandate investment in certain industries and verticals for the Chinese in various parts of China. Aviation is one of those verticals where the Chinese government mandates investment for business in a certain region of China. The young lady who owns Mooney doesn't need Mooney to make any money, and Mooney isn't big enough to ruin her financial empire. So she can, if she chooses, run it at a loss, but maintain it enough to show she's in the aviation industry and engaged in R&D. 

My concern is that the Chinese may have a different perspective on profitability and keeping the company running as an ongoing entity. Before the Chinese purchased the company, the previous owners shut down the production line yet kept the doors open to provide parts and support. My fear is that once the Chinese realize it's a losing proposition, they will just shut down the operation entirely.

4 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

My fear is that once the Chinese realize it's a losing proposition, they will just shut down the operation entirely.

And that's my point exactly. The Chinese already knew it was a losing proposition and purchased it anyway. It doesn't need to be profitable for them. 

On 4/26/2017 at 0:09 PM, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

GAD!  More of that moronic electric crap!  Maybe, just maybe, once batteries have 1/2 the energy density of gasoline which is at least several decades away...

First response to the topic nails it. For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density