Magnitos - removal on 180hp/O-360

I'm looking at removing these - under A&P surveillance/supervision etc. I see a clear path for the right mag, but the left mag looks trickier.  I'm hoping with the right mag out, the left can come out thru the same path.  I really don't want to remove the battery box and upper cowling - even then, not sure that's the best path.  Any suggestions?

19 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

When you remove/replace a mag, be very careful that a star lock washer does not fall into the engine......:ph34r:

....and always use new ones.

A936WASHER.jpg

what's the big deal?  The engine is made of metal.  A little more metal couldn't hurt.

If you don't remove the top cowl they ain't going back on, period! How are you going to time them?

Better question is why are they coming off?

To repeat- if you tighten the clamp down nuts even once and have to loosen them, AWAYS replace the lock washer before you tighten again. 

• Like 1

Getting the left magneto off of my C is a royal pain!! Took me about two hours last week . . . Work from above, on a tall stool. I had to loosen the vacuum hoses that run above it. Another 1/16" width on the engine mount opening would have been nice. I found it easier to turn the mag over and lift it out by the gear, holding from above, and turning the body with my left hand, pulling and wiggling. It will eventually come out.

No idea how to do it with the cowling in place, in can't even see the left one through the cheek panel opening!

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Getting the left magneto off of my C is a royal pain!! Took me about two hours last week . . . Work from above, on a tall stool. I had to loosen the vacuum hoses that run above it. Another 1/16" width on the engine mount opening would have been nice. I found it easier to turn the mag over and lift it out by the gear, holding from above, and turning the body with my left hand, pulling and wiggling. It will eventually come out.

No idea how to do it with the cowling in place, in can't even see the left one through the cheek panel opening!

Well, that's what the left mag looks like to me.  Hoses and engine mount above - battery box on the nearest side out.  That's why I was hoping that maybe .. after the right mag came out it would be possible to pull the left mag out to the right side.  All of the hoses above the left mag make it look like a real challenge. 

When working on the accessories at the rear of the engine has anyone thought of supporting the engine with an engine hoist loosening the 2 bottom bolts and then removing the two top bolts that hold the engine mount on.  You could then let the engine sag down a coupe of inches. 

Some things to keep in mind.

1. Bottom cowl needs to be off

2. you will need a tail stand to hold up the tail when you remove the top bolts.

3. watch engine control cables and wiring so as not to cause damage.

4. when replacing certain wires etc keep this procedure in mind when routing new wires, hoses etc.

I've never done this but it seems  reasonable and might give you the angle and a couple of inches of room to make magnetos, vacuum pump, fuel pump and governor easier to replace.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rbridges said:

what's the big deal?  The engine is made of metal.  A little more metal couldn't hurt.

You'd have a money maker if you can get it to stick to the valve lifters and camshaft.

Clarence