Cheap Tires

Raptor05121

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Desser said they are the exact same diameter as new tires.

I wasn't Bashing Desser or claiming they have issues, my statement was based on retreads in general not one brand, as I said I am not a huge proponent of retreads.

27 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

What they said:

500-4/6 New Goodyear $337.00 each, 500-4 Tube $114.00 each
600-6/8 Retreads $62.00 each, 600-6 Tube $64.00 each

Still more expensive than Desser

A brand new tire is always going to be more expensive than a retread. I think for the amount of flying you do the retread will be fine, to me the most important think is to not skimp on the tubes, get something quality there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Skyhawk: $140/hr
My Mooney: $105/hr

Why the hell would I rent when I own?

I'm averaging 1000 landings a year because I fly about 3-4x a week. I never saw a stipulation that said Mooney's couldnt be run often. Hell, I'd wager its better than most Mooneys sitting in a hangar and flying once or twice a month. You probably aren't familiar with my plane, but I just had the tanks stripped and resealed.

I'm in the middle of my IFR rating right now. I'm actually taking a break from some of the books as I type this. See my thread.

Not yet, its on my short list. I am very impressed with the Recreational Air Foundation. I am hoping to get something akin to what they are doing out at my airport.

I was just kidding about the IR (though I think it's a good idea that will open up new options to you). I was poking fun at Mike and his strong opinions about what kind of flying Mooneys are for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N6758N said:

A brand new tire is always going to be more expensive than a retread. I think for the amount of flying you do the retread will be fine, to me the most important think is to not skimp on the tubes, get something quality there. 

But he's also quoted a tire that is way overpriced. For longevity its hard to bet AirHawk and less than $80.

-Robert

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

What they said:

500-4/6 New Goodyear $337.00 each, 500-4 Tube $114.00 each
600-6/8 Retreads $62.00 each, 600-6 Tube $64.00 each

Still more expensive than Desser

By Michelin "air stop"tubes and Wilkerson retreads. You won't be skimping on anything. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

By Michelin "air stop"tubes and Wilkerson retreads. You won't be skimping on anything. 

+1   No more adding air!    Plus, Wilkerson is located a few miles from my home.   Family owned and user-friendly!  Small town folks doing good business.

20 hours ago, N6758N said:

Call up Aeroinstock and get yourself a set of Air Hawks and the Buytl Rubber tubes, cheapest all around option. That's what a lot of the flight schools use because they are a decent tires and hold up to lots of landings. 

A few annuals ago on my Cessna 140 I needed a tire.  I bought an Air Hawk.  At the next annual, the mechanic saw a crack in the tread so wide that it was hard to imagine how it had not blown.  I bought two new Condors and they have been great.

6 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Desser said they are the exact same diameter as new tires.

While Desser may say this, I can show you where the Monster retreads are  not.  I put a set on my main gear.  The first few landings cut a groove into the middle of the tread from where the grease fitting rubbed against the tire.   It stopped very quickly but, I was unhappy to put that kind of sideways pressure on the grease fitting.  I'm actually surprised it didn't snap off.

Like the Michelin Air-Stop you helped me install?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I have had AirHawks on my Mooney for the last 3 years. No issues and the wear is minimal.  My previous tires, which came with the plane, were getting old and worn down.   I had the tires replaced at annual, since they have to take the wheels off anyway.    --I just left the tires in the back of the plane, with instructions to install them.

1 hour ago, chrisk said:

I have had AirHawks on my Mooney for the last 3 years. No issues and the wear is minimal.  My previous tires, which came with the plane, were getting old and worn down.   I had the tires replaced at annual, since they have to take the wheels off anyway.    --I just left the tires in the back of the plane, with instructions to install them.

You could have done it yourself and logged it with your PP cert number.

-Robert