United Airlines Plane Makes a 'Terrifying' Emergency Landing After Engine 'Overheats'

If you have not read this article, it might be interesting to do so.

What the article fails to convey after all the hoopla, is that thanks to wonderful modern technology and thanks to those wonderfully trained pilots and flight crew,  all passengers and crew members are alive and well .

• Like 1

???? this is written like some kinda satire, the engine overheated,(like my grandfathers old Ford use to?) we were crashing into the ocean but the pilot pulled up.... how about the news starts reporting things accurately with proper details vs sensationalism and fiction,

Sorry about the rant, just fed up with the poor journalism of the day.

Brian

I land with one engine all the time. 

Anyway, this article as with many others, is remarkable. What I find even more interesting are the comments below the article. One dude suggest that the wool is being pulled over our eyes--that engine outs are so common we even have SOP to deal with them. Jesus. I've never been in a nuclear blast either but I know to "duck and cover." 

• Like 1

I think there are two dynamics at play here: first they are taking a stab at UAL following that pax incident a couple weeks ago. Second they are using it to also attack ga. The general public who feeds on this bs are the same ones who want us grounded. You know the types...the ones who buy a house near an airport and then complain about it and want to push the airport out! It doesn't matter that airport was there first, they just want it closed. Or the types who complain about leaded fuel, etc, etc.

They don't care that this is a nonissue. They just care to spread fake news because it serves their agenda.

Somewhere in all of the eyewitness accounts is what really happened. The guy who said he flies a lot is a sports reporter, so he probably does. Others said the wing dipped as they were about to land and nearly hit the runway. I'd be interested in seeing the METARS from that time.

So this "reporter"had his phone on during all this  ,or was he tweeting about his adventure hours later while at his hotel bar.A few more drinks ,and next he will be recalling how his expert advice to the pilots "saved the day"and caused them to land safely!

• Like 2

Somewhere in all of the eyewitness accounts is what really happened. The guy who said he flies a lot is a sports reporter, so he probably does. Others said the wing dipped as they were about to land and nearly hit the runway. I'd be interested in seeing the METARS from that time.

Not surprised Liberia in Costa Rica is a rather windy airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PTK said:

You know the types...the ones who buy a house near an airport and then complain about it and want to push the airport out! It doesn't matter that airport was there first, they just want it closed.

I've never understood this.   I grew up near a military airport.  When a jet fighter flies over, the house shakes and you have to quit talking because the other person will not hear you.  In comparison, commercial jets produce much less noise and  piston GA aircraft are comparatively down right quite.

4 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Not surprised Liberia in Costa Rica is a rather windy airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only been once but it was ok both days

In fact I don't remember any wind in guanacaste at all. Nice place. 

I do remember their radar sitting on two shipping containers... On top of two more shipping containers...