Ground transport ,what do you do?

15 hours ago, gsengle said:

I do get all warm and fuzzy when the FBO is expecting me and drives the rental up to the plane and opens the trunk for me to go right from plane to car...

Bonus points for a silly little red carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes my wife feel like a queen.  Totally worth it.

All of the above for me except no bike-yet-not allergic to them it just hasn't happened that way.  What I do depends entirely on where I land.  Big city-rental because crew cars there are typically only available for a couple of hours.  Smaller city-crew car if available.  Have you ever noticed how many are the retired police car?  On a few occasions I have just gotten a ride from a helpful local, we landed in a Bahamas out island once and that is how we got to town.  Never Uber, they have left friends stranded, so I don't use them.

• 3 months later...
On 4/24/2017 at 8:32 PM, kmyfm20s said:

I have a electric folding bike that will go 27 miles at 17 mph on a charge and it's awesome. I find that Uber is almost everywhere now and don't need to use my bike. Many times I find my rental car just sits and the cost doesn't pencil out compared to an Uber.  Most BFE airports with small FBO's have crew cars or I have found they are more than happy to give you a lift. 

What kind of electric bike is this?  Does it fit through the baggage door?

Driver

For the bulk and price of the electric folding bike, these become good options too:  https://www.urb-e.com/ 

I test rode one, and it was a good ride.  Folder shape is more manageable than many of the bikes, and overall smaller.  Lacks carry racks, so you are limited to what fits in a backpack.   

I have a pair of Bromptons that will fold small enough to fit through the hatch, but I can ride for over 20 miles comfortably.  That is my preferred inter-modal travel setup.  

This... It's only good for 5 miles, but fun for a couple of miles and back. For longer trips/ground transport, I'll either rent a car, take the crew car or use Uber. Uber always works good for me. I've used them in some 60 countries around the world and in almost all the states and cities here. Never had a problem with them.

Onewheel.jpg

1 hour ago, bradp said:

Paul Insaw some kid on the beach one one of those one wheel things and all I could think was ... could that skateboard thing be repurposed for a tug...

Lady at work has one. She's 55. No wouldn't work as a tug. I rode it, poorly about 3 feet.

Also they cost as much as a tug.

Lady at work has one. She's 55. No wouldn't work as a tug. I rode it, poorly about 3 feet.

Also they cost as much as a tug.

But if they could do both it would be worth the 2 AMUs.
Based in other videos it looks like they can only provide about 60lbs of pulling force, Im guessing you need 2 or 3 times that.

17 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

What kind of electric bike is this?  Does it fit through the baggage door?

Driver

Mine was the earlier version of this one. It will fit through the door when you pull off the seat and battery pack but barley. It's kind of a puzzle that once you figure out you need to remember. If I put it through the passenger door most of the time a designer have a back seat out or put a cover over it. The bikes are expensive but are really reliable and fun to ride. One warning is they come with thin cheap tubes so you will want to replace them with heavy duty tubes. They have an aluminum and steel frame version.

https://chargdelectricbikes.com/products/prodecotech-mariner-ld-v5f-folding-36v-200w-1-speed-electric-bicycle?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=28873956680

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

But if they could do both it would be worth the 2 AMUs.
Based in other videos it looks like they can only provide about 60lbs of pulling force, Im guessing you need 2 or 3 times that.

The way the one wheel works is with a tilt sensor. You tilt forward and the motor runs faster. You tilt back and it slows down. Not conducive to tug duty. Also geared for high speed, not low end torque.