Ground transport ,what do you do?

We all have this issue...fast ground burning Mooneys ,than we get to destination ,and all that speed comes to a screeching halt...I've tried it all I think...crew cars ,rental cars,mopeds or folding bikes or three wheelers (Friday harbor),ferry boat,tuna boat,outboard (yakatat ak)horse drawn carriage ,mule (Mexico)Atv,(AK)roller skates (don't ask),Ratty van with kortopates(Baja),even crappier van(Yellowknife nwt),Usual folding bikes up and down calif /ore coast,light folding moter cycles (my favorite and wife's not so much),so what do you all use?Pic is of 60 Lb folding monkey bike,calif street legal that my wife wrecked at a desert flyin...very famous English MS pilot (the one with the awesome paint job)very kindly shipped the parts I needed from U.K. So...how do you guys o it?

IMG_2765.PNG

• Like 1

I make hotel reservations and have a rental car waiting for me at the airport whenever possible. If you're going to get caught in weather and have to stop short, hope you end up at somewhere like Sporty's (Batavia, Ohio) who will bend over backwards in helping you find a hotel room and provide a loaner car as well.

I like to rent from the fbos as they usually give great service and great prices but I hate having to actually call someone to do it

Several years ago it was never an issue to just show up and get a car and hotel but it seems like more and more people are traveling now and that's been harder to do.

One time I couldn't get a hotel and car in salt lake City. WTF? Went to Heber for the night and it was a good decision, neat town.

6 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Yeah...I get how that works for you...but I was thinking outside of rental locations.....places your hertz gold car doesn't work and the 800 # says "huh",!

honestly, I choose a different airport usually.

• Like 1

Yeah...I get how that works for you...but I was thinking outside of rental locations.....places your hertz gold car doesn't work and the 800 # says "huh",!

Just so you know we don't have Hertz or uber when you get here....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Big lithium batteries scare me on a plane

I thought the problem was mainly while charging them, but sometimes during use. If they aren't doing anything except going along for the ride, they are good, right?

I have a electric folding bike that will go 27 miles at 17 mph on a charge and it's awesome. I find that Uber is almost everywhere now and don't need to use my bike. Many times I find my rental car just sits and the cost doesn't pencil out compared to an Uber.  Most BFE airports with small FBO's have crew cars or I have found they are more than happy to give you a lift. 

I do get all warm and fuzzy when the FBO is expecting me and drives the rental up to the plane and opens the trunk for me to go right from plane to car...

Bonus points for a silly little red carpet.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I do get all warm and fuzzy when the FBO is expecting me and drives the rental up to the plane and opens the trunk for me to go right from plane to car...

Me, too. But many places that I go have one person in the FBO (if that!) and neither rental nor loaner cars, and often nobody knows anything about Uber except what makes the national news. Transport can sometimes be quite difficult. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gsengle said:

That always impresses passengers who don't fly general aviation much...my brothers comment landing at Aurora Ore for a memorial service when the gas guy pulls up to plane with vw golf crew car "you mean they are just going to let us take it"

• Like 1

That always impresses passengers who don't fly general aviation much...my brothers comment landing at Aurora Ore for a memorial service when the gas guy pulls up to plane with vw golf crew car "you mean they are just going to let us take it"

Oh and I was really impressed the first time I flew into an airport that I could pull my airplane into a covered area...

ps representative aircraft only

pps note silly little red carpet depicted

cd078f10ef7562f5302501e8e6dbddd4.jpg

• Like 1