Nose Wheel Part

6 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

That part is called the nose gear steering horn and it requires occasional maintenance, usually in the form of rebushing.  I suspect that exceeding the towing limits could damage it but if that is what happened here your nose gear truss is almost certainly also dented beyond limits. The truss alone is a $1000 repair. If memory serves the horn is another $500 or $600 with a rebuildable core to exchange. LASAR has everything you will need. Call Dan.  

I'll look again tomorrow but I didn't see any dents.

It lookes like it was ripped from the welds. Ouch!! I've never seen one crack there. Actually it doesn't look like the welds broke. I'd say some one ripped it apart. 

I plan on replacing mine shortly with a serviceable unit. 

-Matt

8 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

But it costs twice as much as rebuilding what you have and it's installation requires welding. The OEM stuff is good for thousands of hours. I figured repairing it would get me through. 

Jim

I thought it was just over $1k when I did it last year.  No welding required.  The STC has an ingenious clamp mechanism that clamps over the existing tubing.  I suspect it was designed due to the damage this tube receives from multiple repairs to the steering.  On the newer ships the stud wears, on older the hole for the bolt gets enlarged.  This solves both.  I personally got sick of repairing the old style one in my plane.  It's just one option.  I do think I have a spare (if OP is stuck) as shown above, but it is likely worn and will lead to sloppy steering.

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

That actually looks like a new style steering horn.

The only way I can think of this happening is improper disassembly of a nose wheel.

It is the newer style Truss. Only horn t shaft was damaged.

11 minutes ago, Rookie said:

It is the newer style Truss. Only horn t shaft was damaged.

When did it break or how did you notice?  It is just such a robust part.  Maybe it had previous undiagnosed crack.  Any evidence of that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, takair said:

When did it break or how did you notice?  It is just such a robust part.  Maybe it had previous undiagnosed crack.  Any evidence of that?

So I flew it to Baytown Tx. Sunday. I flew it there landed and parked where I was told. It turned just fine without the breaks. I then told the lineman the amount of fuel per tank. We went watch the drag races. We drive back and load up. We get back to my home air port. Landed it ok then the plane takes off to the left. I was straight when my rear wheels landed. When the front wheel landed it went left. I get it back to the FBO. Just looking around I see the horn flapping around.

The only thing we could come up with was the lineman moved it to put fuel and parked in a different place. He over turned the wheel.

Annual done last November all that was inspected. 

There are a few tubes to get inspected with that kind of damage. Use your own tow bar to see where things clash at the extremes.

Somebody has posted the drawings around here already.  A search for the steering horn should probably get you close.

Best regards,

-a–

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So my FBO repaired my horn on the truss. I contacted and sent photos to the Baytown Airport manager. I also spoke to Don Maxwell. Over turning was the only thing that could have caused this.

This morning I was refunded the complete amount it cost to repair.

Still some good people in this country. Can't say enough about how much this means to GA!!

Thanks Charles Danley

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Rookie said:

So my FBO repaired my horn on the truss. I contacted and sent photos to the Baytown Airport manager. I also spoke to Don Maxwell. Over turning was the only thing that could have caused this.

This morning I was refunded the complete amount it cost to repair.

Still some good people in this country. Can't say enough about how much this means to GA!!

Thanks Charles Danley

Charlie known to be a good guy around here, I'm glad he did the right thing. 

• Like 1