Not sure what this valve is for

So I noticed I've got this black valve that you can push and pull but always returns to the original position, it's definitely connected to something I just can't tell what and it's not labeled anywhere

2502aa0393b0c19cdf5b3a72411cacb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowl flaps?

could be an alternate vacuum source from the intake manifold.  I think it was precise flight that offered this STC?

Or alternate static source?

Follow the cable and find out what it activates.  send photos when you find the other end.

I've got a 1968 m20c, its not my alternate static source because I know where that is. I'll try to follow it but it'll be hard because it goes way back behind all my gps stuff and I can't see it anymore, I'll open the cowl later and see if I see its cable going through the firewall anywhere

You look to have an unusual heater duct set up.  Are you sure this doesn't control a butterfly valve associated with that duct set up?  You other C model owners have pilot side heater duct that looks like this?  Looks like the round duct in the background is going up to the windshield defroster outlets.

• Like 2

i'll see if its for the defroster, it doesn't click into place you can pull it and push with some effort but it always returns to its original position

You might be able to get your cell phone under there to snap some pictures. I wonder if it is to activate the wastegate on a turbocharger at one point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tape off one static port. To the other cut a hole in a suction cup and stick a small (10cc) slip tip syringe. Create a suction on the port using your little syringe tool. Pull until the altimeter just moves. Like no more than 20-40 ft as not to damage the instrument by "dropping it" when you pull the alternate static. Have a buddy pull the handle when you are 20 ft higher or so. if it's the alternate static your altimeter will drop back down.

It's where my cowl flaps are.  Is it possible someone tried to modify the fixed cowl flaps to make them movable, and they are not working right?  Perhaps the spring back is because whatever it is trying to move is stuck?

I always thought that switch next to it was the alt static source but that's the valve behind the vsi in the bottom pic so I guess that's my alt static source, I took the top part of the panel off so I could see better behind it but I still couldn't see there that black valve connected to. Also my cowl flaps are pretty fixed they definitely wouldn't be connected to that