Manual landing gear comparison

bonal

There have been a few not quite a number of posts from folks thinking about purchasing a Mooney but are concerned about the manual gear and how it would impact them because of physical disabilities. I thought in my goofy head might be useful to them if they could have some non aviation activities for comparison they might do that are equal to operating the bar. For instance using an auto floor jack or lifting cast iron pots from a cupboard under the counter or operating a recliner that has a lever that is almost exactly like the Johnson bar.

please help these fearful potential Mooney owners. This is intended to be both helpful and humorous 

• Like 2

In my C if you lift off and get the gear up going about 80-90mph it's really only slightly harder than your recliner example, but if you wait and you're faster than 90 it will be a bit of a challenge getting it up. That was one of my major concerns when I first saw it but it really hasn't ever been an issue and I actually prefer it over an electric gear because to easier to maintain, will never fail you and it provides a bit of character to the plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just now, Hank said:

Really? You feel the need to compare Johnson's???  :D  :lol:  ;)  :P

Humor is good not really the direction I wanted this to go. Believe or not I am trying to be helpful to those that don't understand the manual gear.

With the electric gear you get the fuel selector in between the seats. This is a more convenient place than in front of the pilot seat (Johnson bar). With my belly I am unable to reach it in the front location but easily in between the seats.

José

Edited by Piloto

1 minute ago, Piloto said:

With the electric gear you get the fuel selector in between the seats. This is a more convenient place than in front of the pilot seat (Johnson bar). With my belly I am unable to reach it in the front location but easily in between the seats.

José

IMG_20151026_150519371.jpg

IMG_20151026_150538439.jpg

IMG_20151026_150429515.jpg

IMG_20151026_150346250.jpg

• Like 2

Your floor jack analogy is close....but....like using a floor jack while sitting on a stool.  I think the thing that gets folks is the release from the lock.  It is a little awkward at first.  Beyond that, it is the need to be slow.  People have a hard time releasing the lock and then let the speed get away.  They may even push on the yoke, making things worse.  Once released, they should get the nose up a little and slow down or give a slight bump of negative G while swinging the gear.  Once you get it, it's like riding a bike....kinda....

34 minutes ago, Piloto said:

José

My gear is electric. My fuel selector is on the floor in front of me. At the bottom of the quadrant is where i stack approach plates; sectionals go between the seats until i use them.

I would also like to add that I think it's easier to remember to put the gear down on landing because since it's more work than just flipping a switch you remember easier and not seeing a big bar in front of you is a visual reminder, however you have to be careful to make sure it clicked in the slot all the way or else it might pop out on landing, I've had one occasion where a last minute GUMPS check on short final revealed that the gear wasn't locked in all the way. Now I'm in the habit of pushing up on the bar real quick right before I cross the threshold a lot of times without even thinking about it

1 hour ago, aajones5 said:

I would also like to add that I think it's easier to remember to put the gear down on landing because since it's more work than just flipping a switch you remember easier and not seeing a big bar in front of you is a visual reminder, however you have to be careful to make sure it clicked in the slot all the way or else it might pop out on landing, I've had one occasion where a last minute GUMPS check on short final revealed that the gear wasn't locked in all the way. Now I'm in the habit of pushing up on the bar real quick right before I cross the threshold a lot of times without even thinking about it

On my M20J I have a voice warning device that alerts me when the gear is up and needs to be extended on approach to land. It works very well and I strongly recommend it.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/voicegearalert.php?clickkey=23923

José

Edited by Piloto

I imagine the electric gear might be like my electric garage door I have to do a sort of Gumps when I drive away visually checking the door is down and closing my center arm rest where the clicker is. With a manual door you know you put it down. If I forget to close the console I'm not sure the door is down

12 minutes ago, bonal said:

I imagine the electric gear might be like my electric garage door I have to do a sort of Gumps when I drive away visually checking the door is down and closing my center arm rest where the clicker is. With a manual door you know you put it down. If I forget to close the console I'm not sure the door is down

My clicker is on the sun visor, no indication if I pushed it or not. But I can usually see the door out the windshield. When I back in or park down a little, sometimes I forget to close it, as there is no indicator inside the truck with me when I can't see the garage door. 

My electric gear has a nice bright light on the panel indicating UP (red) or DOWN (green), plus the fail proof mechanical indicator on the floor (a window that shows stripes painted on  the gear mechanism, same colors as the lights).

Guys, this was a Johnson bar thread that morphed into a how much to convert to electric.  Really?  Just buy an electric bird if that is your stroke.  A Johnson bar is NOT hard to retract if you get it up before speed builds.  If you wait it can be impossible.  It is a non-event with some practice.  Time to get a different plane or hang up the spurs.  Try and rack a slide on a .45.  If you can't do that you should NOT be swinging a Johnson bar.  You are officially old and weak.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Anyone know what it takes to add an electric actuator to a manual gear?

Best regards,

-a-

I believe up until 1969 when electric gear became standard Mooney downgraded many airplanes to electric gear at the factory before they ever left.:)

As for operating the gear I do not find it hard unless you let your speed get too high after you are in the air. 80-90 IAS works great.  I generally get the gear up quickly to enjoy the increased efficiency during the initial climb out form the runway.

Retracting the gear is the most challenging but when lowering just don't let the handle fly forward.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

You are officially old and weak.

The PO of my E gave it up because of the J-bar. Frankly, I will use the same MO to determine when to fold my Mooney wings.

• Like 2