Cuyahoga Co (CGF) arrival question

Seeking advice on arrival procedure for Cuyahoga Co airport (CGF) from the south or southwest (BSV or TVT) for those who frequent the area. 

Should I expect to follow the KEATN SIX STAR even if I'm cruising below 10k?  Or is it typical to just get vectors for the ILS after crossing Briggs vortac?

Why are you expecting to use a star?

We have a few around my area.  They seam to be a great way to organize traffic flow for some big planes going to big airports.

My IR is a bit rusty... :)

Best regrads,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Why are you expecting to use a star?

We have a few around my area.  They seam to be a great way to organize traffic flow for some big planes going to big airports.

My IR is a bit rusty... :)

Best regrads,

-a-

The STAR is for Cleveland metro, but they are published together with the Cuyahoga co airport procedures also.   I've never flown a star before, but this particular airport is on the approach end in the bravo... I know I'm flying a slow and low single engine, but wasn't sure what to expect

• Like 1

Well, the plate says that props can expect 9000ft at KEATN so I don't think it's reserved for jets and other fast movers.

I can't speak for Cleveland, but in the NY area I've been given a reroute to a STAR while 80nm out during a particularly bad weather day. Like you I was headed to a smaller airport at the edge of the Bravo airspace (DXR in my case). The logic is obvious: reduce controllers' workload by having you fly a fixed route where they can minimize interactions with you. 

In your specific case coming from the south and especially if you filed and are flying below 9000 and have Briggs in your flight plan I'd expect that you'd get vectors from Briggs.

Good luck, and let us know what you get. Will be good learning for all of us.

• Like 1

The STAR is for Cleveland metro, but they are published together with the Cuyahoga co airport procedures also.   I've never flown a star before, but this particular airport is on the approach end in the bravo... I know I'm flying a slow and low single engine, but wasn't sure what to expect

What GPS do you have? On the GTN it is pretty straightforward since the SIDs and STARs are in the database. The only question on the KEATN SIX is the altitude they will expect you to fly. They are showing the the transition min is 3000'. TVT to KCGF is over 70 nm so it is possible they could expect you to fly the 9000' profile for props.

What I think you will get is the STAR at the altitude you filed and from KEATN intersection you will get RV to KCGF as indicated in the final line of the verbal description.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Seeking advice on arrival procedure for Cuyahoga Co airport (CGF) from the south or southwest (BSV or TVT) for those who frequent the area. 

Should I expect to follow the KEATN SIX STAR even if I'm cruising below 10k?  Or is it typical to just get vectors for the ILS after crossing Briggs vortac?

FWIW, I have flown into Burke lakefront (KBKL)  and Cleveland Hopkins (CLE) several times.  Approach has never assigned me the STAR for those.  I think it would be very unlikely for you to get one into CGF.   

58 minutes ago, BradB said:

FWIW, I have flown into Burke lakefront (KBKL)  and Cleveland Hopkins (CLE) several times.  Approach has never assigned me the STAR for those.  I think it would be very unlikely for you to get one into CGF.   

Thanks for letting me know.  I plan to make the trip in a week or two and will post back here what happens.  I'm currently thinking to file via BSV, then if they give me the STAR it will be easy to transition from there or continue on own navigation with vectors soon after.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

What GPS do you have? On the GTN it is pretty straightforward since the SIDs and STARs are in the database. The only question on the KEATN SIX is the altitude they will expect you to fly. They are showing the the transition min is 3000'. TVT to KCGF is over 70 nm so it is possible they could expect you to fly the 9000' profile for props.

What I think you will get is the STAR at the altitude you filed and from KEATN intersection you will get RV to KCGF as indicated in the final line of the verbal description.

I don't have a GPS, other than Aera 510 and ipad.   I'm planning to get a GTN650 installed once the G5 HSI is certified for driving an autopilot.  

After inputting my flight plan on the map, it automatically snaps to KEATN from both TVT and BSV.  It's really just one intersection, so I might as well fly it, but I don't like being at 9000 that close, so I'll ask for lower in advance.

I don't have a GPS, other than Aera 510 and ipad.   I'm planning to get a GTN650 installed once the G5 HSI is certified for driving an autopilot.  

After inputting my flight plan on the map, it automatically snaps to KEATN from both TVT and BSV.  It's really just one intersection, so I might as well fly it, but I don't like being at 9000 that close, so I'll ask for lower in advance.

Being a non /G plane, they will expect you to fly the VOR radials that make up the transition. If you are starting from BSV, it should be an easy transition. I'm willing to bet they will start vectoring you before you need to deal with the cross radial that defines KEATN.

22a38c6f0b1a2a6ff01393afeff517dc.png

It says from KEATN, expect vectors to all other airports.  I'm just going to fly to KEATN and ask for lower according to the situation.  In fact, TVT to KEATN is more direct because going via BSV requires a bit of a dogleg earlier in the route due to VOR locations.  Thanks for the help all... will report back

• Like 2