Fuel Tank Calibration

CaptRJM

Has anyone made up a fuel tank depth to gallons chart for aircraft with the 78.6 capacity tanks.  The levels in both my wing mounted gauges is substantially off even after replacing both wing fuel gauges.  I'm thinking of bending the floats but want to get an accurate reading in gallons before I try anything.

This would sure help me from draining the tanks and putting in a few gallons at a time to take readings.

Thanks!

Here we go again. Either fly or drain a tank to zero usable fuel then make your proprietary dipstick filling 2-5 gallons at a time. It's a wonderful thing to know exactly how much fuel you have prior to departure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Bending the fuel gauge sounds like a good idea until you realize what you gain on one end gets lost at the other.

The original gauges work pretty well until worn out.

Accuracy of the gauges on the ground is a tad off because of the nose high attitude.  The best way to handle this is to stick the tank.

There are a few threads around here on how to build and calibrate your own stick.  There isn't a short cut that can be relied on as a stick that has been built for your plane. There is a lot of variation at the top of each fuel tank through the years. The bottom variations aren't as well known. But, can be as simple as drain holes that have been accidently sealed over by somebody...

PP ideas only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-