Quirky airfield names

Simon

In the last couple of weeks I've come across a few interesting airfield names so I'm wondering if anyone

knows of any other wierd names out there.

In California northwest of Bakersfield there is a private field 2CN4: Wonderful Pistachios and Almonds, and

in Wisconsin there's 11Y in Chilton: Flying Feathers.

The private airport where I got my glider license was named after the owner of the field John Krey.  I always though it would be

kind of amazing to have your own name on a FAA sectional.  In this case it's Krey Field in CA.

-s

Not sure if "Heaven's Landjng" counts as unusual or not. It's north of Atlanta in the mountains. 

What has surprised me more than the name sometimes, is the pronunciation. My first trip to New Philadelphia, OH, to send out my G430 for WAAS conversion, the chart says "Harry Clever Field," I called it "New Philly". Apparently the correct model is more like "cleaver" than "clever." But how's a guy to know?

It's  sad how many airports I've  flown out of that have closed! 

Anybody else fly out of the UVA airport?  Park Hall?

I don't  even like to think of all the military airfields that are no more, or hsve been converted, or abandoned.

10 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Just as interesting as unusual airport names is the connections between airports and their identifiers.  (E.G.  ORD).

Also, there is a web-site dedicated to closed airports' history:

Abandonded airfields.

Lots of fun information there. One of them is near me, I fly over it on my 10.6 nm fuel runs (if their FBO is open, or I have to go 24 nm the other direction). No fuel at home, but then again,  I'm the only flying airplane on the field . . . .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Hank, the airport I live on was known for awhile as "Garden of Eden" and served a nudist colony....and that's  the naked truth.

It's  not nearly so entertaining today.

So that's why you moved in!  :D  ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Hank, the airport I live on was known for awhile as "Garden of Eden" and served a nudist colony....and that's  the naked truth.

It's  not nearly so entertaining today.

Next he is going to tell us that they only provided the bare, essential services...

• Like 3