Garmin GTX 335 Does it talk to GDL 39

Garmin has a nice deal on the integrated GPS version of GTX 335.  Includes install kit and antenna package for <$3k.  You can also have it installed by an A&P vs. mandatory Garmin installer.

My question is: Does anybody know if I will be able to get enhanced Traffic (In) on IPad that is being fed by a GDL 39 unit?  I could not find this information on marketing.  They say 530/430 796 and "other units".

Thanks for any replies and why I should/should not go this route for compliance.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Garmin has a nice deal on the integrated GPS version of GTX 335.  Includes install kit and antenna package for <$3k.  You can also have it installed by an A&P vs. mandatory Garmin installer.

My question is: Does anybody know if I will be able to get enhanced Traffic (In) on IPad that is being fed by a GDL 39 unit?  I could not find this information on marketing.  They say 530/430 796 and "other units".

Thanks for any replies and why I should/should not go this route for compliance.

The GTX 335 will provide the ADS-B Out Solution.  Since you have ADS-B In on both frequencies with the GDL 39 you should be provided with the complete ADS-B In and Out Solution albeit displayed only on the iPad and/or some portable Garmin GPSs like the 796 or 696.  See below for compatibility.

Garmin GDL 39 ADS-B Receiver for iPad (Bluetooth) - from Sporty's Pilot Shop.webloc

• Like 1

Garmin has a nice deal on the integrated GPS version of GTX 335.  Includes install kit and antenna package for My question is: Does anybody know if I will be able to get enhanced Traffic (In) on IPad that is being fed by a GDL 39 unit?  I could not find this information on marketing.  They say 530/430 796 and "other units".

As Don pointed out, the 335 will send the ADS-B out signal. It won't receive any "in" signals. The out signal will trigger the ground stations to send ADS-B back to your plane. Your GDL-39 will receive full TIS-B since you will always be in the hockey puck coverage of your own out signal and it will display on the iPad only. As before, you will always receive weather as FIS-B.

The advantage of the 345 is it will display traffic/weather on your certified boxes and the Garmin portables. If that is not important to you, the 335 is a great way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The advantage of the 345 is it will display traffic/weather on your certified boxes and the Garmin portables.

The key thing is that if you go for the GTX-345 it will replace your GDL-39 and also provide ADHRS backup to your iPad. You would never have to be concerned with the battery of GDL-39 going dead. Then you just call on the GDL-39 as your last resort electrical failure backup; or even sell it to recoup some of the cost of the 345.

• Like 2

The key thing is that if you go for the GTX-345 it will replace your GDL-39 and also provide ADHRS backup to your iPad. You would never have to be concerned with the battery of GDL-39 going dead. Then you just call on the GDL-39 as your last resort electrical failure backup; or even sell it to recoup some of the cost of the 345.

I see the appeal for Scott to consider the 335. Installed 345s are going for $6,500 to $7,000 around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

This is what I had hoped. This is the option for me. I have the 39 running to a 696 wired. It receives power from a cigarette lighter on far right of panel. Battery is back-up. Wires are well hidden. I like pilot and the 39 provides Bluetooth weather and what will be a better traffic picture. Thanks for the info. We have an old Narco at50 transponder so this is a nice upgrade. Active traffic would be nice, but no 430 installed so not a big deal to us. Thanks for quick answers everybody. 

• Like 1

O.K., I canceled order at Spruce and went with Pacific as they had unit in stock.  The. Guy "upsold"? Me on a blade transponder antenna.  He told me my short ball tipped transponder antenna may or may not pass the test, but the blade definitely would?  Anybody else hear/concur with that?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

335 install underway.  Dropped off plane yesterday.  Ended up NOT doing blade antenna.  Didn't come with shipment (wasn't charged)...We shall see on certification without the blade.  Installer was leaning toward putting GPS antenna at front of plane (just to right of right overhead front air duct.). I have a 696 exterior GPS antenna on right side at front.

Fingers crossed for uneventful install and all systems functioning on flight test...

Stay tuned.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2017 at 1:36 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

What would be a range of hours for this?  Removing old Narco and tray.  Wiring/mounting the GPS and Transponder blade antenna.  Finishing wiring for transponder.  Installing new tray/transponder.  Testing/Paperwork.

My quote was 10-15 hour range.  That appeared "in-line" with online web-sites discussion.

Returned tonight after install. Submitted flight and ADSB worked fine but flight was not long enough. I orbited north of CID, but not long enough (eyes rolling)  oh well an excuse to fly soon  I will get my co-owner up  photos in panel.  Needed a new encoder  install took 10.5 hours  Just under $1500 for parts and labor  Needed a 90 degree elbow connector below gps  pleased with it  

So total with part purchase was $3045.00 (Garmin)+$1499.00=$4544.00 less $500 rebate total for ADSB compliance=$4044.00

we now have a new solid state transponder and new encoder replacing units that are decades old. That is a good thing. Glad I am now able to get full traffic picture. The Narco and encoder w/ harness going up on EBay this weekend. Should have a little value. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bradp said:

Did you bring this to your avionics shop or did your A&P do the install?  

Brad I had my A&P install and I am really pleased with the work.  The guys at MXO (Monticello, IA) know Mooney's and do quality work at a reasonable price.

Looks like a great setup!  I was going to ask if you looked at the Garmin 625/345r deal to give you an ifr approved gps, glideslope information, and adsb in. However, when I started adding up the total cost it did not make a lot of sense especially if you don't fly a lot of ifr. 

9 hours ago, Godfather said:

Looks like a great setup!  I was going to ask if you looked at the Garmin 625/345r deal to give you an ifr approved gps, glideslope information, and adsb in. However, when I started adding up the total cost it did not make a lot of sense especially if you don't fly a lot of ifr. 

I am a VFR pilot and my co-owner is not IFR current.  It just doesn't make sense for us.

• Like 1