How long does it take to seal a fuel tank?

Emmet

A simple rivet patch job can be a One day wait... a whole tank is done by sealing up certain parts first over a few days...

A pro strip and reseal is done over a couple of weeks...

a way to find out would be Reading the instructions on the sealant material...  if it is a chemical cross-linking reaction or a solvent drying.  Both will be a time / temperature waiting game.

Last thing you want to do is rush the process after spending so much effort cleaning the old stuff out.

Which sealant material are you planning on using?

there is Some discussions regarding Flame Master (?) materials and possibly other sealants... their websites may also have some answers...

Alex did a nice job of documenting the project of stripping and resealing entire tanks on his plane.

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I had LR tanks installed when I bought my Bravo, the drying time was 4 days, it didn't cure correctly, on my way home from Ft Lauderdale to Wilmington De I smelled gas, the next day the hanger floor was covered with fuel.  They flew up Wilmington to strip and reseal the tanks it took one week. I let it cure for 7 days luckily no problem, that was 11 yrs ago.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

A simple rivet patch job can be a One day wait... a whole tank is done by sealing up certain parts first over a few days...

A pro strip and reseal is done over a couple of weeks...

a way to find out would be Reading the instructions on the sealant material...  if it is a chemical cross-linking reaction or a solvent drying.  Both will be a time / temperature waiting game.

Last thing you want to do is rush the process after spending so much effort cleaning the old stuff out.

Which sealant material are you planning on using?

there is Some discussions regarding Flame Master (?) materials and possibly other sealants... their websites may also have some answers...

Alex did a nice job of documenting the project of stripping and resealing entire tanks on his plane.

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

I don't do it myself therefore I don't know the sealant. I was asking because I have planned a longer trip in May and am trying to find out if the job can be done in time.

I will usually do the bead coat and let it cure over night. Then the brush coat and let it cure over night. Then the red stuff and let it dry over night. Then I do a leak check if everything is ok I put the bottom covers on and let them cure over night. Then I put red stuff on the bottom covers and put on the top covers. I will wait two days before putting fuel in.

Aviation Consumer article says, "The reseal job requires taking the tank interior down to shiny bare metal then applying fresh sealer, which is itself a three-part process with a day of curing for each step. It can’t be rushed and haphazard work will bring the airplane right back for a fix." So it looks like six days for actually sealing the tank.

Fuel Tank article Aviation Consumer highlighted.pdf.pdf

Most people that take it up to Wilmar are back in two weeks to pick it up.

58fc13f0a4e23_ScreenShot2017-04-22at9_32_40PM.thumb.png.6ff59e641e6c21964c8ff1f9bdc0fa3e.png