New Mooneys, any interest at all?

I had a lot of interest in the success of the M-10.  Many didn't like the look of it.  I did/do.  The idea of having a retract version appealed to me as well.  Glad that the old, perhaps "anti M-10" CEO is gone and the word is that the project and the investment is alive and progressing.  I will not be buying another Mooney airframe new or used, but hope many others do and the brand continues to be manufactured for many years to come.

I hope I live to see an all electric 200 knot Mooney capable of carrying four passengers cross country....

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I hope I live to see an all electric 200 knot Mooney capable of carrying four passengers cross country....

I'll settle for a 170 kt Diesel. But you do get the drift... Mooney has to come back to what made it big: Efficient, economical and affordable airplanes which make the best use of available power and deliver the best knots per buck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bradp said:

If Mooney goes under again we should create an owner / operators group and buy out the company.   Maybe we'd figure out how to sell Mooney's.

"Best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a big one."

;)

• Like 2

On April 24, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Stephen said:

2nd Saber's logic. They are > 3/4 of a million dollars! Who the heck drops that kind of coin on a single engine, unpressurized, recip aircraft? 

Well, Cirrus seems to find between three or four hundred of those people a year..

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Well, Cirrus seems to find between three or four hundred of those people a year..

Glad they do and glad for every unit Mooney et al sell. The mba in me just can't personally figure out the economic rational of our ("team mooney's" ) market strategy.

• Like 1

FAA registry shows 1 M20U and 3 M20Vs.  All planes are still registered to Mooney.  One of the tail numbers is in the air right about to land in southern Arizona with another leg planned to Chino tonight.

I expected to see that Mooney had made a number of deliveries now that the planes are certified, but I suspect that part of the reason that no one is talking about the new 2 door Mooneys is that there's nothing to talk about- they're still not real.  When you start seeing them in customer hands maybe there will be something to celebrate.  I hope the trip to Chino is for a public customer delivery and it's the first of many.

FAA registry shows 1 M20U and 3 M20Vs.  All planes are still registered to Mooney.  One of the tail numbers is in the air right about to land in southern Arizona with another leg planned to Chino tonight.
I expected to see that Mooney had made a number of deliveries now that the planes are certified, but I suspect that part of the reason that no one is talking about the new 2 door Mooneys is that there's nothing to talk about- they're still not real.  When you start seeing them in customer hands maybe there will be something to celebrate.  I hope the trip to Chino is for a public customer delivery and it's the first of many.

The FAA registry lags by weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, smccray said:

Scott,

I saw one of them at the expo in Addison last week. May not be in customer's hands yet, but at least one of them exists.

I have no doubt the planes exist, and I certainly understand that the FAA registry lags.  I do doubt that they're in customer hands.  None of the four Mooney Ultra N numbers show up flightaware with recent flights, other than the airplane that has been on controller for months.  That plane, along with the other planes int he database, certainly may be sold, but I don't see them out in the wild yet.  It's only been a month- deliveries will probably start soon.  I'm sure the company could use the cash...

I don't know what that means.  I type in the N number and flights show up or they don't.

19 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Are you looking also at position only flights on flightaware?

It's a setting. If you don't turn on "position only flights" you only see ones where the planes had flight plans. It's the default. You have to log in and turn it on and you'll then see every ADSB blip they ever send out.

I don't really have an interest in a brand new plane. But I also don't see the excitement about brand new cars either. I'd rather get something with some history behind it and then do enough to it personally to feel a real connection to the machine. I've touched every nut and bolt in my Mooney.

Not that new planes aren't nice. I've delivered new T206 and C182's from Kansas. Its nice to be able to pull up weather on the big G1000 screens but I like the round dials in my plane as well. And anything they can get we can get on a tablet.

-Robert

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I don't really have an interest in a brand new plane. But I also don't see the excitement about brand new cars either.

Hmm. I must say I am quite surprised about this, particularly in the US.

Apart, this is not my experience normally. Over here, there are whole magazines full of new cars, forums which discuss every new model enthusiastically and shows where millions of people flock to see the new offerings. Not many of them will ever buy one, but the interest is very much alive.

Apart, i felt that particularly the M10 was something quite important for the Mooney brand too.

Don't get me wrong, i will probably never buy new either, actually never have, I am 55 and into my 3rd car, all of which were 2nd hand. My plane is 4th hand as far as I can tell and I am darn glad I could afford it! But that does not mean the developments in new airplanes do not interest me, particularly if the brand which furnishes spare parts for my own plane depends on new sales.

I always thought that there is a small but dedicated market for the expensive M20's we have currently but there would be a much larger market for something like the M10 or the often discussed entry level M20. That is why I was a bit surprised when after the first couple of posts, things became absolutely silent on the M10 and the interest in the fact that there was a significant development in the 20 also remained quite subdued. In the end, we all depend on Mooney to survive as a company and they can only do that by selling new planes. And all of our planes were once new too, without the sale of new planes, there is no base for 2nd hand ones in 10 years or so.

And all of our planes were once new too, without the sale of new planes, there is no base for 2nd hand ones in 10 years or so.

If I had the means I'd buy new. Money wise it's better to let someone else take the first couple of years deprecation but sometimes it's not about the money.
With the declining pilot population and so few new planes being manufactured anyway I don't think new planes are going to have much impact.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:43 AM, Urs_Wildermuth said:

Apart, this is not my experience normally. Over here, there are whole magazines full of new cars, forums which discuss every new model enthusiastically and shows where millions of people flock to see the new offerings. Not many of them will ever buy one, but the interest is very much alive.

Apart, i felt that particularly the M10 was something quite important for the Mooney brand too.

Don't get me wrong, i will probably never buy new either, actually never have, I am 55 and into my 3rd car, all of which were 2nd hand. My plane is 4th hand as far as I can tell and I am darn glad I could afford it! But that does not mean the developments in new airplanes do not interest me, particularly if the brand which furnishes spare parts for my own plane depends on new sales.

I always thought that there is a small but dedicated market for the expensive M20's we have currently but there would be a much larger market for something like the M10 or the often discussed entry level M20. That is why I was a bit surprised when after the first couple of posts, things became absolutely silent on the M10 and the interest in the fact that there was a significant development in the 20 also remained quite subdued. In the end, we all depend on Mooney to survive as a company and they can only do that by selling new planes. And all of our planes were once new too, without the sale of new planes, there is no base for 2nd hand ones in 10 years or so.

I do not depend AT ALL on the current Mooney for the maintenance, parts and care of my 1966 plane.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:46 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

I do not depend AT ALL on the current Mooney for the maintenance, parts and care of my 1966 plane.

Actually you do to some extent. Some people now buy new parts from the factory. If there was no factory then everybody would be depending on used parts which would make them more scarce and drive up the price.

That Ultra going to Chino is the demo plane...It also went to the AOPA fly-in this past weekend.

I believe there were quite a few planes in the production process prior to the TC award last month, but I bet they didn't have engines or G1000 guts in them yet...bean counters probably wouldn't allow that much capital to sit on the line without the ability to sell it. Hopefully the pre-sales will quickly deliver and we'll see some in the wild soon.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Actually you do to some extent. Some people now buy new parts from the factory. If there was no factory then everybody would be depending on used parts which would make them more scarce and drive up the price.

Actually I don't.  I have never replaced anything except a $5.00 baggage door hold open that is now unobtanium at $80 from a Mooney owner that makes them.  AGAIN, NOT ONE PART ON MY PLANE since purchase over a decade ago with front to back refurb has been Mooney.  O.K. Fuel cap gaskets...also available aftermarket...

Let's face it it's good for all our airplanes for Mooney to survive. It's good we can get parts if we should need them. It's good that there are new ones that become used ones. Not parts but my avionics shop needed wiring diagrams a couple of times - factory support is nice. I just don't get someone who flies one that doesn't want the company to do well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Actually I don't.  I have never replaced anything except a $5.00 baggage door hold open that is now unobtanium at $80 from a Mooney owner that makes them.  AGAIN, NOT ONE PART ON MY PLANE since purchase over a decade ago with front to back refurb has been Mooney.  O.K. Fuel cap gaskets...also available aftermarket...

You missed the point. Even though you never have and never will buy a part from the Mooney factory, the fact that they produce parts eases demand of used parts which you will at some point buy.