Carb Ice Frequency for Mooneys

aajones5

11 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I had forgotten the 15% thing, thanks.  Do people with carb temperature sensors routinely run partial carb heat if the carburetor temp is below freezing? 

My carb is not typically in the danger zone painted on the gage face, I think starting at 5°C. When it is, I think about adding heat and watch IAS and MP for any changes. 

When my carb heat flapper hinge broke, defaulting to Wide Open, my climb rate was about 200-250 fpm on Thanksgiving weekend in the NC mountains. Passing south of ATL Bravo heading home to Lower Alabama, Approach asked if I was really a Mooney . . . Took a while to determine the issue after getting home. 

Judge for yourself the merits of fulltime carb heat.

Oh, the Carbureted Mooneys don't have Ram Air, that's found only on unmodified E, F and J models with IO-360 engines (fuel injected).

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My carb is not typically in the danger zone painted on the gage face, I think starting at 5°C. When it is, I think about adding heat and watch IAS and MP for any changes. 

When my carb heat flapper hinge broke, defaulting to Wide Open, my climb rate was about 200-250 fpm on Thanksgiving weekend in the NC mountains. Passing south of ATL Bravo heading home to Lower Alabama, Approach asked if I was really a Mooney . . . Took a while to determine the issue after getting home. 

Judge for yourself the merits of fulltime carb heat.

Oh, the Carbureted Mooneys don't have Ram Air, that's found only on unmodified E, F and J models with IO-360 engines (fuel injected).

Ooops, you're right!

So you do run partial carb heat based on the carb temp, then, is my understanding?

When flying VFR beneath clouds, you will find enough RH to cause carb icing... in March? on the way to SnF...

When you are fully loaded to MToW, you will want max power available... on the way to SnF...

When fully loaded, stuck beneath clouds, running full carb heat, you get a bit of unease....

Running full throttle and having ice build, you get a bit of unease...

Getting a carb temp probe is essential to removing the unease, while maximizing power available...

Knowing you carb isn’t experiencing ice is important... otherwise You know you are experiencing a power problem, but don’t know for sure why...

Become familiar with the air flow restrictions involved with running carb heat all the time... full carb heat all the time isn’t very good for power production...

PP thoughts from my most memorable carb ice experiences...

Best regards,

-a-