negative amps

Think battery capacity check on that one.  Even if the generator is dead, you should be able to get through descent and landing on a good battery...

A generator will not provide for any output unless the rpms are kept up.  On the ground the electronics are usually draining the battery...

An alternator is less sensitive Low rpm situation, but it's output is less than usual.  On the ground a slightly higher rpm like 800 may be required to supply an adequate charge to douse the red annunciators light...

Do you still have the generator?  What voltage regulator do you have to go with it?

Another thing to consider is the Landing light draining too much electricity on the same circuit or somehow in line with the GPS. An instrument guy with a voltmeter may be very helpful...  An LED landing light may be a lower cost solution...

It would be really odd to have the LL on the same circuit with the GPS.

PP ideas only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I've got an alternator not sure what kind of voltage regulator, but it had been a long flight with a very slight negative amps the whole time so I imagine the battery had been draining. The battery is also very new so I don't think its lost any capacity

Edited by aajones5
  • Like 1

Sounds like the alternator wasn't working...

Some causes that I have learned around here...

1) Belt tightness and quality issues causing slippage.

2) Voltage regulator.  Zeftronics supplies some upgraded versions compared to what was available back in the day.

3) wiring connections between the VR and the alternator.  The control wire seems to get broken every now and then due to vibration and tough under cowl environment...

PP thoughts only. I'm still learning.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1