1979 231 mooney turbocharged engine replacementment

WJones

WJ,

Welcome aboard!

Note: all M20Ks are used.  There are no new ones, won't be for a while...

There are so many reasons you can select things...

But, there are so few choices in the certified airplane world.

There is an FAA design document for all Mooneys, the M20K section is a few pages long.  Find the section that lists all the eligible  engines that the K can have and select one from the list.

It is possible that there is an NA engine on the list... there are engines like the IO550 that have been legally mounted on the M20J.

These were built using an STC.

Of course, if you can't find the engine you want on the list. You can write your own STC and get it through the FAA... all it takes is time and money and a load of testing and documenting.

Are you looking to spend enough to do something different?

Realistically, it is probably better to either enjoy the plane you have, or trade it in on a different  plane that you want.

We have a Mooney around here that has a unique, one-off, engine in it. Somebody must have had some knowledge and ability of how to get that done. Another company used to do this for a living in Florida.  A hurricane put an end to their Mooney shop.

Do tell, how did you come upon owning this plane?  

What engine did you want to use?

-IO360 would make it similar to a J.

-IO550 would make it similar to Rocket engineering's Missile.

I'm only a PP.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

In perusing the STC list, the only engine swap I've seen for a K model Mooney is the Rocket conversion to the TSIO-550 Continental.  I'm afraid there will be no easy way to change your K to a Lycoming (essentially becoming a J).  You would need a new prop, engine mount, cowl, engine controls, and baffling off the top of my head, not to mention the engine itself.  To acquire those bits would likely be economically unfeasible even before you tried to get a field approval or STC to actually accomplish the modification. 

You'd be far better off trading for a J model instead.

• Like 1

I have a J ready to trade to a turbo. Especially one that needs a engine as I'd prefer to have my mechanic overhaul. Pm me if your serious. I'd prefer a rocket but a good base model K could work. I find my flights are from MN to Florida or NY, perfect application for a turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am sure you didn't buy your K model to turn around and spends buckets of cash to pay for a one off STC to turn your K into a J - cause that what it would take. The solution to your problem is easy, sell the K and buy the model that has the engine you want; or go for a trade. Can't get any cheaper than that since you do all of that on your own time. Sounds like a J or maybe pre-J is what you want because there are no normally aspirated Lycoming powered Mooneys after the J model. 

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

In perusing the STC list, the only engine swap I've seen for a K model Mooney is the Rocket conversion to the TSIO-550 Continental.  I'm afraid there will be no easy way to change your K to a Lycoming (essentially becoming a J).  You would need a new prop, engine mount, cowl, engine controls, and baffling off the top of my head, not to mention the engine itself.  To acquire those bits would likely be economically unfeasible even before you tried to get a field approval or STC to actually accomplish the modification. 

You'd be far better off trading for a J model instead.

Yes and its both the top and bottom cowls, which of course would include the cowl flaps.  The "nose cone" of the K is longer than that of the NAs to make room for the six cyl.  Also, there would be the major weight and balance issue.  As every pilot knows or should know, a plane is basically a balanced flying lever.  You would be changing both the weight in the nose, and the length of the arm.  

53 minutes ago, aaronk25 said:

I have a J ready to trade to a turbo. Especially one that needs a engine as I'd prefer to have my mechanic overhaul. Pm me if your serious. I'd prefer a rocket but a good base model K could work. I find my flights are from MN to Florida or NY, perfect application for a turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold out for a rocket. It's worth it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WJones said:

I just bought a used 1979 turbocharged 231 mooney. I need to replace the engine, however I do not want to put another turbo CHARGED engine in. Can I do this? Also i would prefer a Lycoming engine instead of a Continental. 

I am betting there has to be good story on what led you to purchase this K since it does't meet your preference for a NA Lycoming model. Mind sharing this?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kortopates said:

I am betting there has to be good story on what led you to purchase this K since it does't meet your preference for a NA Lycoming model. Mind sharing this?

The story will be, someone bought a plane without doing any research. When your first post on MooneySpace is post Mooney purchase, you're doing it wrong.

I'll bet this purchase was done without ANY knowledge or information about airplane ownership. 

We all make mistakes don't be hard on the guy.  We sometimes make those mistakes with our eyes wide open and full knowledge of what we are getting into after all most of us here owns a plane that should be enough proof in itself.

As for the OP

Tell us a little more about yourself and what your flying mission is. 

Tell us a little more about why you want to go from turbo to non turbo.  Some of us here would like to go the other way.

There are may folks here who are willing to help and one even looking to buy or swap with you.

Finally like some others have said if you want to pursue that path then a different plane is probably the best path forward for you.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, thinwing said:

I'm not convinced WJones is  not a 12 yr old kid having a little fun with you all!Next he will be asking advice about the best way to install PT6 in a Aclaim.I will apologize in advance if mistaken.

If he wanted to mess with us, he would have mentioned running it LOP with the new engine.

21 minutes ago, thinwing said:

I'm not convinced WJones is  not a 12 yr old kid having a little fun with you all!Next he will be asking advice about the best way to install PT6 in a Aclaim.I will apologize in advance if mistaken.

Well if you figures out to install that pt6 then sign me up too.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2017 at 3:22 PM, gsxrpilot said:

The story will be, someone bought a plane without doing any research. When your first post on MooneySpace is post Mooney purchase, you're doing it wrong.

I'll bet this purchase was done without ANY knowledge or information about airplane ownership. 

There are other possibilities, maybe he inherited it.

Clarence

13 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Well if you figures out to install that pt6 then sign me up too.

Well you could always go to the Rolls 250-C20 Rated at 420SHP and derate it to 310SHP continuous use in the Mooney and make you own Prop-jet rocket.:)

You at least have data about the power and speed from that configuration.  You would need the extended range fuel tanks though 30GPH:(

• Like 1

Just now, 1964-M20E said:

Well you could always go to the Rolls 250-C20 Rated at 420SHP and derate it to 310SHP continuous use in the Mooney and make you own Prop-jet rocket.:)

You at least have data about the power and speed from that configuration.  You would need the extended range fuel tanks though 30GPH:(

Sure...but why are you derating it?  I figure 420SHP is just what these M20's need for the next big thing.