Grease gun tip lock

RobertGary1

Like most of you I have an inventory of tips for my grease gun going from loose (least likely to break the fitting but more likely to ooze out of a tight fitting) to tight (more likely to break the fitting when removing but can force grease into those fitting that require a lot of pressure). Seeing this makes me wonder if one grease tip can serve both roles...

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-Gun-Coupler-Lock/dp/B00H7LPKKU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492723573&sr=8-3&keywords=grease+gun+tip

Thoughts?

-Robert

I bought a Lock n Lube before this annual. 

It is big and is hard to get on some fittings. I was able to get it on all but one. The top one on the nose gear by the steering horn.

I actually like it a lot. I can't tell you how many times I've had the grease gun get stuck on a fitting and then I spend quite a while getting it off or dammageing the fitting. 

I'm glad I spent the money.

Besides Rich's comment, the thing that did it for me was one of the Amazon reviewers who only gave it 3 stars.  He was a little disappointed because it reduced leakage by only 85%.  When I read that, I knew I had to at least try it.

• Like 1

The standard (straight) adaptor has served me well, I also have a slotted straight (90*) for tight places. My experience has been if your having an issue with grease coming out around the fitting something is plugged or worn. 

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

I tried a snap lock one from the tractor store this year.   It would get hard to release if it got under pressure.  Jacking the plane can help get the grease into the gear.

It also helps to have the plane on jacks and the gear partly retracted, taking the pressure off the bolts and bushing.

Clarence

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I bought a Lock n Lube before this annual. 

It is big and is hard to get on some fittings. I was able to get it on all but one. The top one on the nose gear by the steering horn.

I actually like it a lot. I can't tell you how many times I've had the grease gun get stuck on a fitting and then I spend quite a while getting it off or dammageing the fitting. 

I'm glad I spent the money.

+1!

I just greased my landing gear today and my results were identical to Rich.  I got it on every fitting except the nose gear pivot point by the steering horn.  I used my old tip for both nose gear pivot points and it was easy.

The absolute BEST thing is that when it comes time to remove it, I don't feel afraid that I'm going to break the grease nipple off or rip it out of the structure!

This definitely changes greasing from a nasty, greasy, irritating job into just greasy- but about 1/2 as greasy as it was before.

I may buy another one in case this one breaks.

• Like 1